X

    Subscribe to New Ads!

    Receive weekly ads in your inbox!



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62

Thread: are the i7 950s now the way to go ..? ~ really another "is my spec ok" too thread.

  1. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    54
    test - having problems posting
    NEW: i7950, H70 corsair, 2gb x 3 kingston hyper ram ,Corair HX620W PSU, gts260, Antec 900II

  2. #27
    Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensek View Post
    I've been playing with this chip on my New Dimas Bench 2.5 Table on Water with an R3E.

    I tried Bioses 0878, 0011 and now 0901 and this CPU is a dog. All my Previous i7 930's on XP could do 216.5 x 21 (4.546 GHz) in 3DMArk06 CPU tests.

    This 950 maxes out at 195.3 x 23 (4.492 Ghz) on the CPU Test.

    Maybe the Old Batch 950s were better but this one was packed on 8/16/2010 and is a piece of junk.

    Maybe I have a dog or maybe it's still better to grab an i7 930 at Microcenter for $199 and save a Benjamin
    well supposedly Microcenter will carry the 950 as well for $250 or $260

    Also what batch number was yours so we can avoid it like the plague
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

  3. #28
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by l0ud_sil3nc3 View Post
    well supposedly Microcenter will carry the 950 as well for $250 or $260
    Yeah, they are, but as usual it's in store only, and I live nowhere near one. http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0346210

    Fry's ran the 950 for $260 thru 9/9, but it was in store only too and wouldn't you know it they were out of stock by the time I found out.

    Well at least I'll be buying mine for no more than $300 I guess. Waiting for the 475 has had it's benefits, but I'm SO tired of this dinosaur PC I'm using.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 09-12-2010 at 02:26 PM.

  4. #29
    Xtreme Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the Land down -under-
    Posts
    4,439
    i5 950 + h55 giga board= ownage!

    Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

  5. #30
    Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    i5 950 + h55 giga board= ownage!

    huh?

    i7 950 + X58 board = ownage
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

  6. #31
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    i5 950 + h55 giga board= ownage!
    sorry don't you mean a X58 board as there is no i5/950..........i7/950 yes

  7. #32
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    303
    Assuming identical chips, 950 would be better due to multi. But if you plan to keep it for a while and overclock perhaps try to find a bloomfield from a known good batch if possible.

  8. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    i5 950 + h55 giga board= ownage!
    what ay marriage!

  9. #34
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    959
    Just picked one up from newegg to replace my 940CO :/ .. Gonna see what I can do linX stable under water once I figure out which bios to use for my damn MB .
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz
    Stay away from EK products

  10. #35
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_a_wat View Post
    Assuming identical chips, 950 would be better due to multi. But if you plan to keep it for a while and overclock perhaps try to find a bloomfield from a known good batch if possible.
    How are the newer batches of the 950's? I was thinking about doing one of the Microcenter deals next time I'm near one. What are the best sources for finding the good batches?

  11. #36
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    136

    What are Good Batch's for the i7 950?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashTrash View Post
    How are the newer batches of the 950's? What are the best sources for finding the good batches?
    As DashTrash has mentioned, PLEASE can anyone who currently owns an i7 950 cpu, let us know which batch number is available for good-reliable overclocking?

    On this site, there are heaps of good 920/930 batch numbers, but none for the i7 950.

  12. #37
    Technician
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    2,624
    Just so people know, my 950 is a dog with turbo and HT on. Without its awesome. If youre struggling with clock speed try going to 23x plain multi and turning off HT. If you gain enough clock speed its usually worth it. 192bclk limit with turbo and ht on, 226 without. 4.3ghz ht on, 4.45ghx turbo on and 4.811ghz 4core 23x. Same vcore/vtt.

  13. #38
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    510
    I just bought a 3003B871 950 from Microcenter a week ago. I have been able to get it to 4.41ghz 1.38V 23x191 HT off. Its not anywhere near golden but its better than my 920.
    **Georgia Tech Grad, I am an Electrical Engineer with a specialization in RF IC design and Analog circuits.**

    Intel I7 3770K Delidded
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    2x4gb Gskill 7-8-7-16
    EVGA GTX680 Signature OC
    Crucial M4 256gb
    Seasonic X-750
    Watercooling Loop: Raystorm Acetal, EK GTX580 Full Cover, MCR420, MCR320, MCP35X2 & 7 x AP-15 Gentle Typhoons

    Heatware: gte460z

  14. #39
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    134
    Thanks for the responses! How are they for clocking the ram compared to the 920? About the same? I seem to need lots of qpi to go over 1920 with my 920. Was wondering if the 950's do better? Which batches are the golden ones?

  15. #40
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLsY View Post
    Just so people know, my 950 is a dog with turbo and HT on. Without its awesome.
    None of the 1366 i7s have a TB worth a damn anyway. It's only a .133 boost and limited to single core calculations.
    ...try going to 23x plain multi...
    The i7 950 has a locked multi though doesn't it? Are you talking about stepping it up one notch in the BIOS as per ASUS MBs allow?

  16. #41
    Technician
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    2,624
    TB is 1 x bclk, not .133 .

    23x multi is stock for the 950. Turbo takes it to 24x. I found 23x, 19x and 18x to be the best multi's for core clocking (allowing either higher mhz or lower vcore).

    My batch is 3910A470 - not much chance of finding one now though as it was an early one.

  17. #42
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    964
    I meant TB yields a .133 GHz boost, (though it's actually .266 with one core active). The stock 3.067 plus .266 = 3.33GHz max TB, it's simple math. TB on all 1366 i7s does barely anything at all while 2 or more cores are active though (.133, like I said). This is how Intel designates TB stepping for all 1366 i7s...1/1/1/2,... which means the only slightly significant boost is with one core active (.266).

    The mulit is also locked, but you can bump it up one step via an ASUS MB BIOS. I wish they'd make an affordable unlocked quad CPU for 1366. Bottom line, you don't buy an i7 950 for it's TB or multi, you buy it because it's a fairly well binned chip, is given a fairly good stock speed because of it, and has just had a significant price drop. Otherwise there'd be no point to it.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 09-30-2010 at 05:27 PM.

  18. #43
    Technician
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    2,624
    Actually I disagree - binning is minimal, you buy it purely for the higher multi compared to the 920/930.

    TB is not .133ghz, its 1 x bclk. If youre at 200bclk thats 200mhz. 133bclk, 133mhz. These are not unlocked chips so you arent going to be at 133bclk.

    There are many reasons why you may not want to run high bclk yet keep a high cpu speed.

    Dont buy a 950 under the belief theyre binned better - theyre not.

  19. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLsY View Post
    Actually I disagree - binning is minimal, you buy it purely for the higher multi compared to the 920/930.

    TB is not .133ghz, its 1 x bclk. If youre at 200bclk thats 200mhz. 133bclk, 133mhz. These are not unlocked chips so you arent going to be at 133bclk.

    There are many reasons why you may not want to run high bclk yet keep a high cpu speed.

    Dont buy a 950 under the belief theyre binned better - theyre not.
    this. there's every bit as much variation between 950s as there is between 920s/930s. i've seen people with dogs of 950s that barely go above 4 ghz, even with fairly high voltages.

  20. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    14
    so if you can run 4.2 easy with a 920 and able to push it to 4.7 with minimal tweeking. going to the 950 is pointless and may as well wait for sb?

  21. #46
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    964
    If that were the case people wouldn't bother paying for the more expensive locked chips. They do in fact pass thermal testing better. That's why they're clocked higher and given higher multis. And no matter how you cut it, a max turbo speed of 3.33GHz on 3.067GHz chip with a 1/1/1/2 stepped TB config renders a .266GHz boost on single core, and .133 on 2-4 core at stock speeds. It only changes once you change the BLCK, and many don't even leave TB on when OCing externally. I mean what would even be the point of leaving TB on whilst externally OCing on a chip that has such a lack luster TB to begin with?

    You also can't go by what results random users get on given chips because due to their different specs, OCing methods and chip variance, it's never the same.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 09-30-2010 at 05:36 PM.

  22. #47
    Technician
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    2,624
    950's are not binned, infact id say its highly likely no i7's are speed/voltage binned. Yields are high enough that whatever comes off the line they can use as any part.

    If you want binning get Xeons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    I mean what would even be the point of leaving TB on whilst externally OCing on a chip that has such a lack luster TB to begin with?

    TB is an extra multiplier. The point in leaving TB on when ocing is that it allows you to reach a higher cpu clock at a lower bclk. If you cant grasp this you shouldnt be on xs - . Issue arises when your chip prefers odd multi and your tb multi is even. Most i7's prefer odd multis. On the 960 the TB multi would likely be more useable.

  23. #48
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by PiLsY View Post
    950's are not binned, infact id say its highly likely no i7's are speed/voltage binned. Yields are high enough that whatever comes off the line they can use as any part.

    If you want binning get Xeons.




    TB is an extra multiplier. The point in leaving TB on when ocing is that it allows you to reach a higher cpu clock at a lower bclk. If you cant grasp this you shouldnt be on xs - . Issue arises when your chip prefers odd multi and your tb multi is even. Most i7's prefer odd multis. On the 960 the TB multi would likely be more useable.
    First off, I don't know where you heard no i7s are binned but it's absurd. Even architecture that has consistent high yields varies in thermal handling properties from chip to chip, and so do OC results. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to give one chip a higher clock and multi than another if they are exactly the same.

    Second, most whom OC are not looking to get a performance boost just with single core use. Anyone that knows 1366 i7s at all knows they're lackluster in TB and give you next to nothing for 2-4 core activity. You act like you know it all but you're the one whom can't even grasps the simplest of facts about these chips.

    Third, and perhaps most significant, this wouldn't have even come up if you had any real skill at OCing. Otherwise you wouldn't be grasping at straws trying desperately to make up for a lack of skill by using TB on a chip that has very little to begin with for 2-4 core operation. If it were the same chip as say a 920 and you had any decent OCing skills, you would save the money and buy a 920. Usually the best OCs are achieved by using a multi BELOW the stock setting.

    It's noobs that don't know how to OC that buy the chips with a higher multi. And to even mention TB, my God just buy a non enthusiast platform i7-875k CPU and be done with it. It's priced the same and has a much better TB and an unlocked multi. Clearly you need something like that, the 875 is more your speed. You're biting off more than you can chew trying to get an extreme OC on a 950 the way you're going about it. You'll probably fry the chip in a yr or less.

    Sounds to me like you shouldn't even be messing with BLCK and vCore if you require a higher multi to manage a halfway decent OC. It's ironic that the member designation "Technician" appears under your name, clearly it doesn't fit. LOL Your analogy makes no sense, and I'm done feeding your troll mouth.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 10-01-2010 at 11:39 AM.

  24. #49
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    First off, I don't know where you heard no i7s are binned but it's absurd. Even architecture that has consistent high yields varies in thermal handling properties from chip to chip, and so do OC results. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to give one chip a higher clock and multi than another if they are exactly the same.

    Second, most whom OC are not looking to get a performance boost just with single core use. Anyone that knows 1366 i7s at all knows they're lackluster in TB and give you next to nothing for 2-4 core activity. You act like you know it all but you're the one whom can't even grasps the simplest of facts about these chips.

    Third, and perhaps most significant, this wouldn't have even come up if you had any real skill at OCing. Otherwise you wouldn't be grasping at straws trying desperately to make up for a lack of skill by using TB on a chip that has very little to begin with for 2-4 core operation. If it were the same chip as say a 920 and you had any decent OCing skills, you would save the money and buy a 920. Usually the best OCs are achieved by using a multi BELOW the stock setting.

    It's noobs that don't know how to OC that buy the chips with a higher multi. And to even mention TB, my God just buy a non enthusiast platform i7-875k CPU and be done with it. It's priced the same and has a much better TB and an unlocked multi. Clearly you need something like that, the 875 is more your speed. You're biting off more than you can chew trying to get an extreme OC on a 950 the way you're going about it. You'll probably fry the chip in a yr or less.

    Sounds to me like you shouldn't even be messing with BLCK and vCore if you require a higher multi to manage a halfway decent OC. It's ironic that the member designation "Technician" appears under your name, clearly it doesn't fit. LOL Your analogy makes no sense, and I'm done feeding your troll mouth.
    So you are saying I should get a cpu with a lower multiplier and use a higher bclk?

    With a 920 and a 21x multi my mini atx MB maxes at a 200bclk so I can get a cool 4.2G overclock? Cool! Thats Extreme. Could probably get that with all settings on auto no skill needed. I also didnt know the i7 875 came in socket 1366 like the i7 950. I will look for it in the stores.
    Last edited by fordf250; 10-01-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    Rampage III Gene I7 950@4.48G--1.485V HR-02 12G G.Skill 1600-1.5V, GTX470-SLI@725core 1750mem, Antec P180 MINI

  25. #50
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,379
    Chill guys. First up : Intels binning CPU's is a bit different then how we like to bin CPU's. I bought a 950 coz I would have a higher multi to bench on it. Too bad I got a mediocre one and was limited at 5.05GHz. Many 920's did a lot better than my 950. Though it was a cool running CPU at 4.3GHz for 24/7.

    If daily stability is ya game then you could easily do with a 920. But lately, these are getting quite hard to get and the 930 is the only option.

    I would rather take a 950 then a 930... the price difference is minimal (this ofc in case you want to buy a new CPU) If you can hunt down one of them golden 920's that can do 4.5Ghz 24/7, then I would say go for it...

    The i875 is socket 1156 mate...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

    Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •