Thread: Reservoirs...Does Size Matter???

Reservoirs...Does Size Matter???

Hey guys:

I am building a water-cooled system. There is going to be a triple loop. The 1st being, my cpu. This will be cooled by the EK-Supreme HF High Flow water block with the ThermoChill PA120.3 rad.

The 2nd will be the Asus EAH5970. This will be cooled by the EK-FC5970 - Radeon HD 5970 water block and the hardware labs 420 GTX rad.

The 3rd will be the motherboard. This will be using the EK-FB RE3 mobo water block and the Hardware Labs 280 GTX rad. Each of these loops will have it's own Swiftech MCP655 water pump.

Ok, that's the planned basic layout and it's all going into the Mountain Mods extended ascension case. If you think I should switch any of the radiators please let me know. Down the road I may add another video card and bring that into the 2nd loop.

I am confused with what reservoirs to use??? I think that size matters but I have heard that it doesn't make much of a difference. That makes no sense to me. If the reservoir is larger, the water has longer to not get pumped into the water block. That should let it cool down longer, no??? I was told that the only advantage is that the larger the reservoirs don't need to be topped off as frequently, due to evaporation.

And lastly, the fans to buy for this are making me nuts!!! How much air should I be passing over the radiators(CFM's) to achieve optimum cooling???

Please enlighten me!!

Thanks a bunch
    Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel 980X, 12gb OCZ Reaper pc3 12800, Asus EAH5970 video card, OCZ 240gb SSD Revodrive, 2-2Tera Western Digital WD2003FYYS, Pioneer BDR205 Blu-ray

Wanna look under my kilt?
    I'll only comment on the res... you're working in the hundreds of ml range... it wont make any difference. I remember from a while back, someone commented that res <4L in volume don't affect temps. IMHO, a case res is nothing more than a convenient filling point and somewhere to stick an LED and/or showoff your liquid colour
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Hey K404:

I guess I can essentially get any type of reservoir. That's a good thing!!! So here's what I might actually do.(I REALLY need some input) If that's true. I would buy 3 small reservoirs and put them in the case, 'for show". And then, I would like to put a 5 gallon pail on the floor and run a couple of hoses into it. It would be it 1/2 way full. So when I am gaming I could throw a bag(2) of ice cubes into it. I don't game all the time, but, when my brother-in-laws come over, we are fanatics!

Anyone with fan knowledge to clue me on if I need high speed fans or medium speed fans for the radiators when I'm not gaming please chime in. This is more important to me.

Thanks
    Last edited by jwmghf; 09-01-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel 980X, 12gb OCZ Reaper pc3 12800, Asus EAH5970 video card, OCZ 240gb SSD Revodrive, 2-2Tera Western Digital WD2003FYYS, Pioneer BDR205 Blu-ray

Hello??? I thought this was a jumping forum???? Ok.

Xtreme Member
    I think you should post this in the water cooling forum. This is the TEC (thermoelectric cooling)/Peltier cooling section. Most people who are interested in just water cooling don't come to this section.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yep...NOTE TEC - three letters is NOT the same as TECH - four letters which is what your thinking of.

Thanks guys. I thought this was water cooling!!! My bad. Should I repost it or ask for it to be moved??