Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water cooling booster.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Tec chiller. 4x130w

Ok so here is our new project in outofspecs.gr . I know its not too extreme but we wanted to try sth like that. I cannot call it chiller because it is not.Watercooling booster suits more i think.

Check the pics:

You can see more pics here -> http://outofspecs.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=3014

As you can see i am still testing the prototype and at the moment i am using 3x135w tecs @ 9.5v (the energy meter shows ~200w in total). There are many things that we can improove of course but we had to start from sth.

Waiting for your suggestions/comments

Chris

Xtreme Addict
    i like the way they symmetry design of it
    it's very uniform-like

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen View Post
    I cannot call it chiller because it is not.Watercooling booster suits more i think.
    Looks to me like a perfect example of a TEC coolant chiller.

Why do you say it's not a chiller what's your definition ?

looks like it is working quite well too if the data is to be believed.

Xtreme Member
    looks nice give us the temps.
    love what you do make who you are

XS - Extra Strong
    Looks pretty cool, I bet you could get a bit more efficiency if you insulated the cold side loop.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -Geforce 7900Gt 755/1863 1.562v vgpu
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by lalPOOO View Post
    Looks pretty cool, I bet you could get a bit more efficiency if you insulated the cold side loop.
    needs shoulder washers too on the cold block too.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    That is definitely a water chiller, I would suggest that you insulate as much of the cold block as you can because that's where a lot of your losses are going to be.

Xtreme Member
    jes it is a smart thing to insulate it also to prevent condens and frost on the coold side
    Last edited by cooling storm; 11-05-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooling storm View Post
    Why should he ? Oh yes 545w...

It's the biggest rip off this century.....

That super duper extra high quality mega wonder actually only has a maximum cooling power of 266w. It is a 12730 and a general 12730 is only rated a 266w. That's only at max. input power with a Dt=0 i.e. no cooling what so ever. At 12v (It is actually a 15.6v unit.) you are probably looking at a shade over 200w with good TIM and the correct compression. Less if your thermal transfer inefficiencies are high.

Ebay seller's marketing hype.....looking around for the nearest mug....

and if they used 4 of those 12709 in that unit it doesn't look big enough to have 4 of these in it. 12709 are generally 40mm square, these are 62mm square units.

Granted they will be better than the TEC's in that unit but there are better TEC's than those rip offs around if you really wanted to go better.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 11-11-2009 at 04:49 PM.

XS - Extra Strong
    Check out the hands holding that tec in the picture. Those are either some really girl mans hands, or some really manly girls hands... definitely not the person you wanna buy a tec from!
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi guys

I am in a middle of tests at the moment. I will give you an update soon.

Xtreme Member
    i wish there was a 1000w tec

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooling storm View Post
    i wish there was a 1000w tec
    As a single TEC....Not in a million years, not for general retail anyway....you'd need one mighty hell of a PSU for it and with potentially 2Kw heat coming of the hotside a super duper cooling system.... No, the extra bits neccessary to run something like that, and the cost of those bits, would be far to prohibitive to make it worth while.

So long as you could cool the hot sides and it would have to really good you could potentially build a 1Kw chiller. The input power need not be a great problem because you can join units in parallel and series combinations BUT as I said your cooling would have to be good to cope with a potential 2kw heat from the hotsides.
    i don't know how he's getting on but someone on here was at one point going to try this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Round off the internal corners

Make it out of COPPER

Make the flow lengths the same ( ie a re-design )

Nice job

XS - Extra Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    Round off the internal corners

Make it out of COPPER

Make the flow lengths the same ( ie a re-design )

Nice job
    I don't know if the switch to copper would really be worth the increase in costs if you've already machined one out of alu, you're talking about a pretty sizeable peice of copper...
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lalPOOO View Post
    I don't know if the switch to copper would really be worth the increase in costs if you've already machined one out of alu, you're talking about a pretty sizeable peice of copper...
    Copper has almost twice the conductivity than aluminum ..

So if you want to make it better than this the simplest thing to do .. also it solves any galvanic corrosion issues you may have with ALu and Cu in one loop

I know copper costs more but making TEC products Cheap has ALWAYS been there down fall ..

Administrator
    Very nice idea Unseen

Just a dumb question here if you don't mind. I see you have 2 of the blocks used here, with the Tec's in the middle. In the video and pictures you showed you are only using one side of this. Do you have plans for the other side or is it not needed if you only use 1 side ?

I do not use Tec's at all, but I find this very interesting to use with Phase/Cascade/LN2 setups for cooling NB & GPU's.

Xtreme Member
    Well since it's a chiller both sides would be needed. If it was converted to direct die (I doubt it could be...too big) then it wouldn't need the cold side it would just need the cooling loop side to dissipate the heat.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Very nice idea Unseen

Just a dumb question here if you don't mind. I see you have 2 of the blocks used here, with the Tec's in the middle. In the video and pictures you showed you are only using one side of this. Do you have plans for the other side or is it not needed if you only use 1 side ?

I do not use Tec's at all, but I find this very interesting to use with Phase/Cascade/LN2 setups for cooling NB & GPU's.
    I watched the video....

Unfortunately you slightly mis-understood.
    Both plates of the chiller are in use - one side of the chiller is against the cold side of the TEC's and gets all frosty - the other side of the chiller is against the hot side of the TEC's and they are water cooling the hot side of the TEC's to keep them cool.
    The temperature of the hotside, to some extent, determines the temperature of the cold side so generally the cooler the hotside is the better.
    The difference between the temps of the hot and cold sides of the TEC are determined mainly by the input power.
    The point to remember here is TEC's are merely electrically operated heatpumps and not chillers per se.
    They remove the heat from an object one side BUT you have to remove that heat plus that generated by the TEC from the other side - hence the water cooled hotside.

Whilst TEC's are useful where Phase is expensive, UK for instance, they may not help you much Buckeye, as a seasoned phase builder. Whilst TEC can have a COP higher than 4 a phase unit operating at the same COP will have a far greater cold temperature. So your better with phase....

...Oh sorry, I mis-understood . yeah you could use a chiller like this for your NB & GPU's but you yourself might find it a tad cheaper and dead easy to get a small AC and convert it for slushbox. You will get lower temps more easily, I think so anyway, I've never had the luxury to try it !

TEC's lowest possible is -50ºC but it's one hell of a lot of work to get it there ! Your unlikely to get a chiller down to this. Well the chiller might but the coolant wont be
    Last edited by zipdogso; 11-13-2009 at 05:14 PM.

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    I'll buy one.....
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi guys, sorry for the long delay. The project is still active.
    I will do some tests in the weekend.

Some more pics

Unfortunately I didn't have antifreeze liquid, so the water froze.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Lovely.. I love that craftsman .. I was looking the pics into the greek forum but I have just realised that you already posted the hottest ones
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Mentor
    Whats the power draw from that chiller setup?

Xtreme Addict
    What about using only a single ~130W tec with the Hot side on a TRUE and the coldsid on a block for the loop ? this can work and you only need 1 loop. I think this can work and you can still acheive sub ambian Water temp. Im not hoping sub zero wiith this but at least sub ambiant. Lets hope ... 4-5°c for the water temp.
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast