Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neowin Hands-on: Windows Phone 7 review

Xtreme Addict

Neowin Hands-on: Windows Phone 7 review

Tech Ed NZ 2010 is in full swing and during all the hustle and bustle, Neowin was able to take an exclusive hands on look at a prototype Windows Phone 7 device running the Windows Phone operating system.

Microsoft was at a loss when the original iPhone was released, it’s Windows Mobile platform was years behind at best, and needed to do huge amounts of catching up to be competitive. A few new versions of the iPhone were released, as well as Google’s Android Mobile OS, and Microsoft was left in the dust.

http://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-ha...phone-7-review

[MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Mentor
    microsoft only the gui good looking but this is still very much behind the htc sense. not exactly but this reminds me mojave experiment.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

i like winmo, the devices just lagged with no capacitive and low rez screens on that 500-600mhz qualcom, once the snapdragon and new screens were out then winmo was great. the only problem ive found is that there was no app store and i guess its to hard to find stuff for the average person since its so much harder than to find it for your computer. although after using it i dont care about a resistive screen and the capacitive throw me off. to me win phone7 looks like a downgrade to 6.x
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Not bad at all...but would like to see a video of how fast it is.windows mobile has always been sloooooow....
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Member
    My next phone. Been on an iPhone for almost 2 years. It's been great but I want something new. Also I'm sick of dropped calls ( although I'm not sure if that's optus or the iPhone). 2 years ago the iPhone wad easily the slickest thing, now win7 looks terrific.

NooB MOD
    I honestly hate it, it tooks more like a social networking tool than a phone :/
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by takamishanoku View Post
    My next phone. Been on an iPhone for almost 2 years. It's been great but I want something new. Also I'm sick of dropped calls ( although I'm not sure if that's optus or the iPhone). 2 years ago the iPhone wad easily the slickest thing, now win7 looks terrific.
    It's your iPhone. Try out one of the newer Android Phones, I'm sure you'll like em.

I've been following this phone and it looks pretty cool. Can't wait for a full review once it comes out of development!

Xtreme Member
    I'm staying positive with this but android will eat it alive... or at least until symbian dies
    Newbie Cruncher

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Another clunky nightmarish to navigate and space wasting interface, but atleast they managed to catch the only 10 seconds that its UI is smooth.

Xtreme Mentor
    really i just want from wm7 is a working pptp vpn. 6.x.x pptp vpn arent working with most of the vpns. and the gui part i am waiting for sense 3.0

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

don't like it, Android for the win
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    i think you are asking the wrong person about safety limits, but

Xtreme Enthusiast
    All that and no mention of Skype and video calls like the Nokia N900...

| Intel Core i5 2500K | Asrock P67 Extreme 6 | Gskill Ripjaws 8GB CL7 |

| Sapphire HD6970 | Creative X-Fi modded | Corsair HX850 | Corsair H60 |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Afterburner View Post
    All that and no mention of Skype and video calls like the Nokia N900...

Video calling is a gimmick at this point, it has been for years.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There's a clip on youtube on the N900 doin a skype video call.....
    | Intel Core i5 2500K | Asrock P67 Extreme 6 | Gskill Ripjaws 8GB CL7 |

| Sapphire HD6970 | Creative X-Fi modded | Corsair HX850 | Corsair H60 |

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    I honestly hate it, it tooks more like a social networking tool than a phone :/
    Second that.

Also, HATE those bloody transitions, ooh its so pretty... NO, stfu graphic silliness, go bark up apples tree.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i like winmo, the devices just lagged with no capacitive and low rez screens on that 500-600mhz qualcom, once the snapdragon and new screens were out then winmo was great.
    Maybe in 2005 with current hardware you'd call it "great". WinMo 6.5 is a band-aid on a leper and the market reflects it.

The best part of 7 is going to be the gaming, if they can reach a critical mass amongst Xbox Live Arcade developers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Me likes. Me gets (hopefully).

No gaggle for me.

Xtreme Addict
    the fancy gui is just wasted time and processing power... the app market will make or break this platform, but the fact that it was made by m$ will turn many potential buyers away. m$ has a bad stigma, and in the mobil market there are many good competators. too many for m$ to achieve the level of success they are hoping for. they should have stuck with business and tried to compete with crackberry, challenging google and apple is a bad idea/waste of money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    Maybe in 2005 with current hardware you'd call it "great". WinMo 6.5 is a band-aid on a leper and the market reflects it.

The best part of 7 is going to be the gaming, if they can reach a critical mass amongst Xbox Live Arcade developers.
    what market, bulk orders still have winmo as the top on att and VZ, a smart phone is for email (imapi), web browsing and phone calls, maybe office/pdf/schematic viewing , thats it sure u can get gps nav and games but thats not what its for. if u want a PMP/gaming device sure winmo was not vary good for that but for being a smart phone winmo is still the best, if u want something gaming and media sure there are better but thats not what a smart phone is for, its like saying oh i get a 40k 3dmark score on my server.

and look at the lg expo, its got better hardware than almost anything even stuff that is coming out like the droid2 or incredible or or evo, and it dose internet browsing faster. or i have an lg incite and i can almost 2 weeks of light use, can u do that with any android or IOs (IOs isnt really a smart phone operating system its more feature phone though)
    Last edited by zanzabar; 09-01-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Banned
    Smartphones are retarded. Internet sucks on them, social networking is for pansies, games are a joke, texting is a crappy version of talking, and all other apps are gimmicks.

Am I the only one who still believes a phone should just call a damn person??

My phone:

Cost about $60 bucks canadian, no contract, it calls people.

I didn't really give a damn when I purchased it, and so I didn't do much research, but when I get my next cell, the only things I'll be interested in is:

-call quality
    -durability/build quality
    -battery life

Anything else is just teeny bopper territory...
    Last edited by Baron_Davis; 09-01-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    Smartphones are retarded. Internet sucks on them, social networking is for pansies, games are a joke, texting is a crappy version of talking, and all other apps are gimmicks.

Am I the only one who still believes a phone should just call a damn person??

My phone:

Cost about $60 bucks canadian, no contract, it calls people.

I didn't really give a damn when I purchased it, and so I didn't do much research, but when I get my next cell, the only things I'll be interested in is:

-call quality
    -durability/build quality
    -battery life

Anything else is just teeny bopper territory...

What's wrong with wanting an all-in-one device? Instead of spending money on a phone and netbook, I get a $200 phone that's also a camera and GPS device. Not sure why all the hate bro.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    What's wrong with wanting an all-in-one device? Instead of spending money on a phone and netbook, I get a $200 phone that's also a camera and GPS device. Not sure why all the hate bro.
    +1

after i bought my G1, all interest in a laptop disappeared overnight! same with buying a digital camera, or a gps system... if you just want to keep it simple, god bless, but the rest of us expect these features now and phone companies are happy to oblige.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    the fancy gui is just wasted time and processing power... the app market will make or break this platform, but the fact that it was made by m$ will turn many potential buyers away. m$ has a bad stigma, and in the mobil market there are many good competators. too many for m$ to achieve the level of success they are hoping for. they should have stuck with business and tried to compete with crackberry, challenging google and apple is a bad idea/waste of money.

"bu but i thought the gui made the iphone?" which is what everyone says about the device, its simplicity, or look how pretty it is, "oooo shiny!". apple isnt a competitor, they are falling in the same trap that their pc division is in. exclusivity with x amount of carriers has let Google to stomp apple. apple is in 3rd place (i think in NA only).black berry makes windows mobile phones as well, so i would imagine they will make one based on this os as well. MS competitor is Google. apple is a joke that is fading into Gucci land. i say it will only take MS a year and a half to surpass apple. either way the market is growing.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    internet and camera/ social crap i can do without, but snes emulator is a must ;P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast