Thread: So how does Corsair warranty work when it comes to ram

Xtreme Enthusiast

So how does Corsair warranty work when it comes to ram

Looks like one of my Dom GT's are bad. Considering booting hangs on post code 50 which the next in the series is 52 which relates to ram. Resetting bios and pulling all usb devices didn't fix the post 50.

Removing the chip in ram bank 3 allowed the computer to boot. Putting it back in causes it to hang on post 50 yet again.

I'm running memtest currently on chips in slot 1 and 2. Will later pull 2 and put it in 3 to see if its the slot or not. Then will put the one that was in 3 in slot 2 and run memtest if it will post.

My questions are:

Do you have to send the complete kit back?
    Does Corsair actually repair your ram you send or do they just send new ram like Crucial does which usually is the newer crap they make. Which is why I wont deal with Crucial anymore. Lost my D9's to the junk they offer now.
    What about the tall ram sinks? Will they return the new chip/s with them installed or will they take them off and give you the stock sinks? (I no longer have the stock sinks as I traded recently)
    The matched set I have now are Cas 7. Isn't it true that the Cas 7 is still the better performing series of their GT's?

I'm quite sure if they just exchange I will get the newest run of chips as a replacement which if they don't perform the same its going to piss me off also just like Crucial did.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Any worklog of the girl in your avatar?
    HEAT
    EBAY

Project Slumber Parties aka PSP Liquid Cooling Work Log

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by scgt1 View Post
    Looks like one of my Dom GT's are bad. Considering booting hangs on post code 50 which the next in the series is 52 which relates to ram. Resetting bios and pulling all usb devices didn't fix the post 50.

Removing the chip in ram bank 3 allowed the computer to boot. Putting it back in causes it to hang on post 50 yet again.

I'm running memtest currently on chips in slot 1 and 2. Will later pull 2 and put it in 3 to see if its the slot or not. Then will put the one that was in 3 in slot 2 and run memtest if it will post.

My questions are:

Does Corsair actually repair your ram you send or do they just send new ram like Crucial does which usually is the newer crap they make. Which is why I wont deal with Crucial anymore. Lost my D9's to the junk they offer now.
    What about the tall ram sinks? Will they return the new chip/s with them installed or will they take them off and give you the stock sinks? (I no longer have the stock sinks as I traded recently)
    The matched set I have now are Cas 7. Isn't it true that the Cas 7 is still the better performing series of their GT's?

I'm quite sure if they just exchange I will get the newest run of chips as a replacement which if they don't perform the same its going to piss me off also just like Crucial did.
    PM Yellowbeard(Mike from Corsair)
    Good guy to deal with.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    PM Yellowbeard(Mike from Corsair)
    Good guy to deal with.
    Will do.
    Passed 1 test so far on bank 1 and 2 being occupied. I'll let it go one more time around and then check channel 3 to see if its the board or not. This board may have 24-36 hours on it tops. Would really suck if I lost a channel.
    HEAT
    EBAY

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Based purely on my past experience with RMAing RAM:
    Quote Originally Posted by scgt1 View Post
    Yes. Corsair will not allow you to send back only one stick.
    They can be flexible. Usually they send you brand new sticks in return, if possible of the exact same series (no attention paid to ICs on the new sticks). If, like me, you have a specific reason to request certain ICs (in my case, having bought two kits of the same series to have one kit go bad, and the replacement newer kit not work together with the old kit) they are usually willing to come to the party. If your kit is no longer in production they'll let you know and offer alternatives for you to choose between.
    I'm pretty sure they won't accept an RMA if the stock heatspreaders have been modified or removed. I haven't personally experienced this, but I do remember reading about a case on the Corsair forums where someone experienced an RMA denial due to this.
    Dude, be grateful you have a lifetime warranty. There's a reason companies have moved away from Hypers, and nothing is guaranteed (and Corsair has no obligation to provide you) beyond the speeds and timings on the packet.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The company sells the extended heat spreaders. I don't see why they wont warranty the ram in that case.

Never said I expected anyone to guarantee anything past its rating. Am I missing something here?

Honestly I can't get the cpu high enough on air to hit the ratings of this ram. So.......
    Last edited by scgt1; 08-27-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well passed 4 tests on memtest with running the original chips in bank 1-2 with 3 being blank. Pulled the chip from bank 2 and put it in bank 3 and started. No post 50, but it was very sluggish loading. Is on its first mem test pass now. I'm affraid it may be a dead channel on the board. Time will tell though.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You may want to re-seat the cpu and check for bent pins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MV-G
    3770K 5.00
    7970 1200/1700
    GSkill 2400
    Seasonic Platinum 1000
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    - Koolance AC-370 - Swiftech MCP-35X - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Rad - Koolance VID-AR797 -
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA National Debt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It ended up being the stick that was in the third back to begin with. I pulled all chips and tried the one that was in 3 in all slots which caused a loop of 00 e8 02 and something else. Over and over. This set unfortunatly is part of the massive recall done by corsair back july 09. So I've made an RMA claim, but haven't heard back yet.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    I'm pretty sure they won't accept an RMA if the stock heatspreaders have been modified or removed. I haven't personally experienced this, but I do remember reading about a case on the Corsair forums where someone experienced an RMA denial due to this.
    hes talking about the corsair fins, they come stock with small fins but u can buy larger fins and u change them with an alen key, it has nothing to do with changing the heat spreader (and u would not want to try that with corsair dom parts anyways)

have u tried reseating the cpu the 1366 parts can be a pain with dropping a channel or be unstable from a bad or shifted mount
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    hes talking about the corsair fins, they come stock with small fins but u can buy larger fins and u change them with an alen key, it has nothing to do with changing the heat spreader (and u would not want to try that with corsair dom parts anyways)

have u tried reseating the cpu the 1366 parts can be a pain with dropping a channel or be unstable from a bad or shifted mount
    See above post.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Corsair Rep
    I apologize for the slow response. I have been traveling for work. Have you resolved this yet?
    Yes, Yellowbeard, a tall rough man with a big yellow beard

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    I apologize for the slow response. I have been traveling for work. Have you resolved this yet?
    Not really yet and certainly not to my liking.
    Unfortunatly your company has bound to have the worst rma service I have ever dealt with next to Samsung. The turn around time is unforgiving. Spend near $500 on a product and the company can't even expedite a shipment to you even though they have your ram.

What is the point of doing all the tests with memtest if Corsair is going to pick and poke at the ram and diddle daddle around with it for over a week anyway? I can't believe how there is only one set available for replacement. No Cas 7 no faster ram. Just some obviously sub par sticks is what is given out now for a replacement for our prime sticks we paid loads of dough for.

Its decerning in the brand let me tell you. Crucial makes crap for ram, but they drop ship new ram to you within a day. By the time I finally get my replacement ram it will be a month. That is uncalled for. I highly doubt I will purchase any more Corsair products for the lack of a properly functioning RMA department. The website is misleading as all get out due to showing a listing for ram that isn't even available anymore. I mean come on no webmaster at Corsair?

Make's me wonder where all the money goes. Especially since I wasn't offered any other options but to replace my ram with CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 which I have heard many mix things about. No monetary full refund/partial refund and ram. Nothing. I find it hard to believe the Dom GT ram has tanked in quality (IC's used) dropped 40% in price (this replacement kit retails for $249 with free shipping at Newegg) That is almost half of what I paid for the original (GOOD) ram. To not be offered some form of compensation is beside me. Not to mention the fact that there is no form of rapid exchange.

The least that could have been done was once an rma number was given a replacement set be sent out with a return label. I mean nothing like pinching penny's. It cost my $16 to properly insure the ram and ship it to Corsair. I didn't ask for them to use a company that made chips that had problems and caused a mass recall at retailers. Yet I'm paying the bill and loosing in the end. Its just sad. I'm not the only one getting shafted in this deal with the ram that is for sure.

Oh yea timeline of events:

Your RMA request was received on 8/28/2010 12:13:27 AM.
    RMA APPROVED Tue 8/31/10 5:25 PM
    RMA ASSIGNED Tue 8/31/10 5:50 PM
    BAD RAM SENT Thur 9/2/10 5:20PM
    USPS ATTEMPTED DELIVERY Sat 9/4/10
    Customer Part(s) have been receieved by Corsair 9/10/2010 4:50:18 PM
    Corsair contacts with warranty option 9/15/2010 8:45:40 PM
    I respond back asking if that is the only option. I also ask what IC's these chips use and was ignored on that question. 9/15/2010 10:09:28 PM
    Then I'm told that is the only part number they can replace the bad ram with 9/17/2010 3:14:14 PM
    I respond back stating fine go ahead so I can get my computer back up. 9/17/2010 4:23:34 PM
    The following is the last thing I received from Corsair. Pretty pathetic considering its been over two business days now. The order should have been submitted Friday evening and would have been ready to go out Monday morning. Yet nothing.

Furthermore if a new set wasn't shipped out when I was assigned an rma number one should have been shipped out when they had notice 9-6-10 that an attempt to deliver a package with said rma number was done on 9-4-10. I wouldn't expect this service had I paid $89.99 for some ram, but the prime price of the "REAL" Dom GT ram I would expect some expedited service attempted from Corsair as I would suspect anyone else would also.

Dear Michael, Thank you for your confirmation. Your replacement will be shipping out within 1-2 business days. Once it shipped you will receive an email with tracking information. You may also contact us again to get the tracking number. Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you for choosing Corsair! We appreciate your business. Regards, Jelaide Ocbina RMA Support 9/17/2010 4:26:36 PM

This delay in communication is unacceptable. Not only that the lack of answering questions I had is unacceptable. I can assure you that these sticks of ram will be my last Corsair purchase with this lack of taking care of the once paying dedicated customer.
    Last edited by scgt1; 09-21-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just received email that UPS has received billing information. Low and behold its shipping UPS Ground. Which is total crap and wont be here until next week sometime. I swear if anything happens to this new ram I will probably just throw it out and order some G-Skill. I've never once had any problems with their ram and its been rock solid and been put through hell.
    HEAT
    EBAY