Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sandy Bridge Preview (Anand)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    On the Llano side most likely yes, on the BullDozer side its pointless to speculate at this point. BD is completely different from Phenom II as you know. Its anyones guess what and when it will bring to the show.
    What I'm saying is: Consider the current single-threaded IPC differential between Ph-II and Nehalem, then look at what SB just brought over Nehalem, and what BD is likely to bring over Ph-II in single-thread IPC (its weakest point)...

Looks like the gap remains about where it is. (SB over BD ~= Nehalem over Ph-II)

And for client, then consider that by the time BD launches for it, Intel will likely be shipping the *mainstream* versions of Ivy Bridge at 22nm!
    Last edited by terrace215; 08-28-2010 at 09:20 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I like how everyone just sees the looking as a money grabbing scheme, while totaly neglecting the technical pov.

It's a design decion they made, to satisfy the oem to save money on the boards. I am sure they could have made another desgin which allowes you clocking, even with the ondie clock generator, but i am also sure such a desgin would need a lot more validation and also increases the design complexity or the robustness.

Its easier to desgin a part that operates at a specific conditions then over a wide area.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 08-28-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    What I'm saying is: Consider the current single-threaded IPC differential between Ph-II and Nehalem, then look at what SB just brought over Nehalem, and what BD is likely to bring over Ph-II in single-thread IPC (its weakest point)...

Looks like the gap remains about where it is. (SB over BD ~= Nehalem over Ph-II)

And for client, then consider that by the time BD launches for it, Intel will likely be shipping the *mainstream* versions of Ivy Bridge at 22nm!
    Yeah they are DOOMED!1!1!
    How about we wait and see them compared,side by side,out of the box in client workloads before making doomsday scenario prediction

Xtreme Member
    Hi,

I would just like to chime in here and speak to some of the comparisons I have been seeing with regards to Sandy Bridge's IGP performance and Bulldozer's 480sp IGP. The Sandy Bridge sample shown by Anandtech is the low-end version with only 1 "core" or 6 Intel-type-SP-unit-things. The problem I have trying to speculatively compare that against Bulldozer's 480sp wonderkind is that you're comparing a low-end mainstream chip that will be out in late Q4 2010 to a high-end chip that won't be out until sometime in 2012 (in my opinion - I know there's no hard date for Bulldozer). There is enough trouble trying to compare SPs from differing architectures - we need to keep the market segment and timeframe at least somewhat in line if we're to make any reasonable comparison. If you were to guess how many SPs will be on a high-end Ivy Bridge when Bulldozer arrives, I would presume you wouldn't guess "6."

CPU: Intel i7 3770k. . . . . . . .Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
    Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe . . . . RAM: 4x4GiB GSkill Rampage 2133MHz 1.65V
    Video: Sapphire Radeon 7970 . . . Drives: Intel 520 SSDs
    Power: Seasonic Platinum 860W. . .Case: Rosewill Thor v2

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Andypro1 View Post
    Hi,

I would just like to chime in here and speak to some of the comparisons I have been seeing with regards to Sandy Bridge's IGP performance and Bulldozer's 480sp IGP. The Sandy Bridge sample shown by Anandtech is the low-end version with only 1 "core" or 6 Intel-type-SP-unit-things. The problem I have trying to speculatively compare that against Bulldozer's 480sp wonderkind is that you're comparing a low-end mainstream chip that will be out in late Q4 2010 to a high-end chip that won't be out until sometime in 2012 (in my opinion - I know there's no hard date for Bulldozer). There is enough trouble trying to compare SPs from differing architectures - we need to keep the market segment and timeframe at least somewhat in line if we're to make any reasonable comparison. If you were to guess how many SPs will be on a high-end Ivy Bridge when Bulldozer arrives, I would presume you wouldn't guess "6."
    First of all there will not be a Bulldozer CPU with an integrated GPU in 2011.There will be a low power Bobcat core with low end EvergreenDX11 GPU(80SP,the level of what AT tested in SB) and a mainstream desktop/notebook chip with improved 10h/Phenom II cores (Quad/Dual) done on 32nm and with a 480SP Evergreen DX11 GPU. The last one is called Llano and this will go against SB with its "better" version GPU in mainstream desktop segment. Bulldozer is high performance Quad/Octal with no GPU on chip,at least not in 2011.In 2012 there will probably show up a whole line-up with on board Evergreen GPUs.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andypro1 View Post
    Hi,

I would just like to chime in here and speak to some of the comparisons I have been seeing with regards to Sandy Bridge's IGP performance and Bulldozer's 480sp IGP. ."
    Bulldozer will not have a 480sp IGP because it won't have an IGP.

This verison of SB will be up against Llano.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Member
    Only 10% performance improvement over the 2 year old Nehalem (clock for clock)

Yawn.

Xtreme Mentor
    BTW Why is there no i7 930,940 & 950 in the picture?
    Coming Soon

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    They are in a different segment than this Sandy Bridge

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by natty View Post
    Only 10% performance improvement over the 2 year old Nehalem (clock for clock)

Yawn.
    lol better get your facts right before yawning

Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Because theres no 2500 or 2600 to test?

If you want to compare it, just look it up in the cpu database.

Xtreme Mentor
    They are in a different segment than this Sandy Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post

Because theres no 2500 or 2600 to test?

If you want to compare it, just look it up in the cpu database.
    But there is a performance difference between i7 9xx and the i7 8xx on the same clock. I am 1000% sure that the sandy bridge i5 2600 is not super fast compared to i5 2400 "c2c" but the cache difference is there...
    Coming Soon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    How about we wait and see them ... before making ... prediction
    Because that would not be a prediction.

Look, given that SB turns out to be another leap, and not a saaya-like "1-2% gain on non-AVX", and now that we've had more BD design info disclosed, I think it is clear enough that SB will be in another league (than BD, let alone Llano) on client workloads. I guess you'll have to wait until Q4 2011 to verify (or not) this prediction, unless AMD makes client samples available before launch.
    Last edited by terrace215; 08-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ok Nostradamus

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Ok Nostradamus
    Found Terrace an avatar

Jokes people jokes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nostradamus.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	107130  

Banned
    There`s some bridges you maye be interested in aquiring.
    Ivy bridge is expected to hit in 2012.Bulldozer has been officially announced as 2011 product.So, no.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Found Terrace an avatar

Jokes people jokes
    Hehe,good one man

Xtreme Mentor
    Very nice preview by Anand with sweet looking upcoming CPU from Intel.
    What got me thinking is the IGP part of tests. Why all of them are in lowest IQ 1024x768?
    I know that IGP is only for causal gaming but even Anand himself says that some of titles could be played in medium/high setting and still maintaining around 30FPS.
    Is this because Intel explicitly asked to test like that?
    Don't get me wrong, SB IGP looks like first proper Intel GPU since i740 especially considering that this was 6 'shader' version running at unknown clock (most likely non-turbo) but I have a felling heavier shader setting would put it more often behind HD5450 in FPS.

I just wish Anand would made these 2-3 more IGP tests to show some IQ/perf scaling of upcoming Intel solution.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    Very nice preview by Anand with sweet looking upcoming CPU from Intel.
    What got me thinking is the IGP part of tests. Why all of them are in lowest IQ 1024x768?.
    Go observe any IGP related review... even nVidia's best IGP (or AMD's best IGP for that matter) cannot play contemporary games at high resoultions/quality settings -- plenty playable at the lower res (1024x768, 1280x1024 type res, but 1980 x 1200 -- forget it, no IGP can give a good gaming experience there). He probably tested there because that is where he tested all his other IGP solutions and wanted to make a comparision.

For example, here is the 890GX, all low res and low quality settings to get into the 'playable' range:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2952/2
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...on,2571-7.html
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 08-28-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Member
    prospekt Veteranov, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    SuperPi 1M

Q6600 @2.5GHz - 20 sec
    Sandy @2.5 GHz - 16.349 sec

4 years passed, cpus didn't change

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    SuperPi 1M

Q6600 @2.5GHz - 20 sec
    Sandy @2.5 GHz - 16.349 sec

4 years passed, cpus didn't change
    Conveniently left out the AMD chips, eh?

BTW, the above is an 18.3% performance improvement. I would not call that "the same".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaV[666] View Post
    Ivy bridge is expected to hit in 2012.Bulldozer has been officially announced as 2011 product.So, no.
    Intel is due to *ship* 22nm in Q4 2011, like they will ship 32nm SB this Q4. The first parts will be the mainstream 1155 SB successor, Ivy Bridge.

I predict you won't see client BD launched until Q4 2011.

So, I stand by what I wrote.

Banned
    Well, Intels roadmap clearly states Q1 2012.
    AMDs roadmap states 2011.

In best case scenario bulldozer launches around end of H1 beginning H2, worst case, in Q4.
    Intels Best case is january 2012, which means Q1 2012, worst case end of Q1.
    So, youre incorrect.

If by "shipping" you understand the fact that it will start to go from manufacturing plant to channel (not actual availability)
    The same applies to AMD.So if launch for bulldozer will be in Q4, actual "shipping" will occur somewhat sooner.
    So again, your statement is false

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaV[666] View Post
    So again, your statement is true
    Fixed.

My statement, as can clearly be seen above, is that BD client launch and IB client ship will both be in Q4 2011.

As your recent post shows, you agree.

Xtreme Addict
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Wow.. intel realy cut the L3 latancy quite a bit, even if its not the real number.. 26 cycles that the program reports is quite impressive (compared to 35 from lynnfield).

And finally its confirmed theres no S1356... well quad channle here we come..
    So their isnt a high end coming like everyone had rumoured??

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast