Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sandy Bridge Preview (Anand)

Admin

The Sandy Bridge Preview (Anand)

From Twitter:
    anandshimpi Is anyone else feeling a little...sandy?

anandshimpi I've just been feeling very sandy lately: http://bit.ly/d89HgU

EDIT: a larger preview is up: The Sandy Bridge Preview, enjoy!
    Last edited by Vapor; 08-27-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: update

Banned Movieman...
    they should crank that to atleast 1280x1024 if no 1680x1050

all they are really testing now is the cpu and not the graphics

Xtreme Mentor
    1C SB Graphics?
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How about image quality & bug free experience ? I've had experiences with Intel IGPs in the past, lately the speed is increasing, but the IQ is corrupted here and there, like water that doesn't have the form & move like it was supposed to, texture that seems like coming from 20 yrs ago, etc. If Intel is indeed succesfully work on their driver & the IQ is up to par, then it's a very good development for low end & mobile gaming segment.

Xtreme Mentor
    When how waaaa

My NDA does not end till the 10th moth then again my NDA is very old one around May.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Wow! The performance of 3.1GHz version of SB (without turbo!) is very close to 980X...!

Admin
    Just finished reading the full preview and I'm very impressed.

Lower power, really really awesome lightly threaded performance, really awesome highly threaded performance. IGP is 2x as fast as the 661's, but that's not too important to me.

HT seems to have smaller gains than I expected, interesting.

A 2500K might be a fun chip

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    1C SB Graphics?
    i saw that too, but have no idea what they meant, or why it was run that way

I am Xtreme
    ok... igp performance is quite a suprise... x2 the performance of perviouse generation is really not bad.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i saw that too, but have no idea what they meant, or why it was run that way
    Two different GPU configs for Sandy Bridge, 2 core and 1 core. The one Anand tested is just 1 core. Means there's more performance on the table (up to 100% more, but likely imperfect scaling so maybe 90-95% more).

Banned
    on a side note ,Now i know why anand buries any amd information with intel news.
    On to the cpu.

New socket, cheaper chipset has locked memory frequency, so you have to buy the more expensive one.
    No move downards in the pricing structure of the cpu itself, sad but expected.
    "There will be some wiggle room as far as I can tell, but it’s not going to be much. Overclocking, as we know it, is dead."
    And anand havent screamed about ,if it was something like a small move.
    Yea you can buy K`s and move multis, but what about fsb ?And you have to pay MORE.
    "As a result, on P67 motherboards you’ll be able to adjust your memory ratios to support up to DDR3-2133."

Only ratios, so no fine tuning and of course, on the more expensive chipset.
    Dammit intel!

Well, now i wont buy it even if bulldozer wont be the second coming of jesus.

EDIT.Didnt Dr.Who commented this no OC rumours to be false ?

Xtreme Member
    Anad further explains that the "2core" and "1core" for GPUs is an internal naming thing. It's actually 6 EU's (1c) or 12 EU's (2c). He goes on to say an EU is like Intels version of a Cuda Core.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Member
    The very low resolution they have tested games with delivers a completely irrelevant picture because the huge issue of this integrated GPU is available MEMORY BANDWITH!

Their claim that it will "threaten the entry level discrete market" is incorrect.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaV[666] View Post
    "There will be some wiggle room as far as I can tell, but it’s not going to be much. Overclocking, as we know it, is dead."
    Yea you can buy K`s and move multis, but what about fsb ?And you have to pay MORE.
    "As a result, on P67 motherboards you’ll be able to adjust your memory ratios to support up to DDR3-2133."

Dammit intel!

wow man..read the entire article before you start spouting nonsense.

1)There is no FSB anymore. Hasn't been in 4 years.
    2) He made the point of the unlocked parts would cost the same as the current high end parts of today, so no you aren't paying more, intel just changed the binning
    ie the i7 2600k is the same as the i7 880. Still paying $500+ for the fastest desktop quad that isn't an extreme part, +unclocked core and at least 10% performance improvement...for free. DAMN YOU INTEL!!
    3) read the entire article
    Last edited by Tenknics; 08-27-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Banned
    Ive read it.
    No FSB overclocking ,to quote anand "some wiggle room".I was quoting from the article.

Xtreme Mentor
    Holy , lower power consumption, awesome CPU&GPU perfomance increases across the board. I want one.

A pity they didn't test games with HT on/off.
    Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 08-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Mentor
    This is bad Intel will rain heavy on everyone who has the chip for various purposes. Anandtech has sourced it from someone and just like the last inspection "A tray 32nm x6 chip's". Intel came hard on everyone including me and a person was sued and fired.
    Coming Soon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenknics View Post
    wow man..read the entire article before you start spouting nonsense.

1)There is no FSB anymore. Hasn't been in 4 years.
    2) He made the point of the unlocked parts would cost the same as the current high end parts of today, so no you aren't paying more, intel just changed the binning
    ie the i7 2600k is the same as the i7 880. Still paying $500+ for the fastest desktop quad that isn't an extreme part, +unclocked core and at least 10% performance improvement...for free. DAMN YOU INTEL!!
    3) read the entire article
    1).I know there isnt FSB EXACTLY, however theres is and will be some kind of master bus speed.
    HTT on AMD system, QPI on Intel.So ?
    2)Yea there will be K`s with unlocked multis, so no fine tuning and getting every mhz, and they will cost as high end parts.So no clocking of cheap bastards.Maybe you sleep on cash, i dont know.I dont like it however.
    3)I have read it, anand softens the blow, something this well, scary he tried to push like "moving forward".yea.sure.

Of course if you are kind of person which just buys everything at the highest prices, change a multi and be done with it.Than yea, nothing really changes for ya.

Dont get me wrong, performance is spot on.And if amd was competetive ,intel would not pull it off.
    On the other side, if my own fans like taking away options from them, then well, maybe not.
    Last edited by RaV[666]; 08-27-2010 at 11:52 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Wow.. intel realy cut the L3 latancy quite a bit, even if its not the real number.. 26 cycles that the program reports is quite impressive (compared to 35 from lynnfield).

And finally its confirmed theres no S1356... well quad channle here we come..
    Last edited by Hornet331; 08-27-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Katzenschleuder View Post
    The very low resolution they have tested games with delivers a completely irrelevant picture because the huge issue of this integrated GPU is available MEMORY BANDWITH!
    I don't think it matters because even at these low settings, the AMD 5450 is already pushed to its limits.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    on a side note ,Now i know why anand buries any amd information with intel news.
    On to the cpu.

New socket, cheaper chipset has locked memory frequency, so you have to buy the more expensive one.
    No move downards in the pricing structure of the cpu itself, sad but expected.

Dammit intel!

Anand's lack of CS5 instead of CS4 is beyond me. Specially when they include six-core benchmarks.
    Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz @1.1125v | Foxconn A7DA-S (790GX) | 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
    | Gigabyte HD4770 | Seagate 7200.12 3x1TB | Samsung F4 HD204UI 2x2TB | LG H10N | OCZ StealthXStream 500w| Coolermaster Hyper 212+ | Compaq MV740 17"

Stock HSF: 18°C idle / 37°C load (15°C ambient)
    Hyper 212+: 16°C idle / 29°C load (15°C ambient)

Why AMD Radeon rumors/leaks "are not always accurate"
    Reality check

The Canuck
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    This is bad Intel will rain heavy on everyone who has the chip for various purposes. Anandtech has sourced it from someone and just like the last inspection "A tray 32nm x6 chip's". Intel came hard on everyone including me and a person was sued and fired.

Please...this is Anandtech.com, Intel absolutely gave the thumbs up for this article.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Pretty good boost with the new GPU,good work intel . The CPU core to core improvement is around 10% as Anand says in the conclusion,but the retail 2400 will have 3.4Ghz Turbo so a few percent should be added on top of that.Pretty solid improvement all around ,GPU being the most reworked part.

Xtreme Addict
    1).I know there isnt FSB EXACTLY, however theres is and will be some kind of master bus speed.
    HTT on AMD system, QPI on Intel.So ?
    2)Yea there will be K`s with unlocked multis, so no fine tuning and getting every mhz, and they will cost as high end parts.So no clocking of cheap bastards.Maybe you sleep on cash, i dont know.I dont like it however.
    3)I have read it, anand softens the blow, something this well, scary he tried to push like "moving forward".yea.sure.

Of course if you are kind of person which just buys everything at the highest prices, change a multi and be done with it.Than yea, nothing really changes for ya.

Dont get me wrong, performance is spot on.And if amd was competetive ,intel would not pull it off.
    On the other side, if my own fans like taking away options from them, then well, maybe not.
    It seems nothing really changed for you as well. Any way you didnt buy Intel's chips for a while...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Katzenschleuder View Post

Their claim that it will "threaten the entry level discrete market" is incorrect.
    Lol you actually think a HD5450 will performe better when you increase resolution?

It only has a 64bit mem interface with 800mhz ddr3, which offers 12.6 GB/s bandwidth (there are even parts that offer only 400mhz ddr2 which halfs the available bandwidth), dualchannle ddr3-1600 offers 25.6 GB/s, and ddr3-1066 still 17 GB/s.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 08-27-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast