Thread: which pump set up for chiller..?

which pump set up for chiller..?

Okay so I have a few ideas. First off my res will be around -25 celcius and ill have the tube running vertically out of the res as my computer will be on top of the res. I plan to use 1/2 inch tubing. I was going to run possibly dual gpu,cpu,nb and maybe some other blocks. Now I like swiftech pumps so I was looking at either submersing this pump in the res to push the flud up and through the loop xoxide.com/swiftech-mcp355-pump.html (i know ill need an adapter to go from 3/8 to 1/2) or using this pump in the computer to draw water up out of the res underneath http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-mcp655.html. Or would i need to use both of these pumps in series? One on the bottom submesed in the res to push water up and the other bigger pump the 655 to push the water the rest of the way through the loop. I'm planning on around 5 blocks when I use the chiller at its max. Any input is welcome!

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Hey Sean

For a chiller with 5 blocks I would go with the WMD-20RLT Iwaki Pump or something the like. D5 pumps are great but for the same price as those 2 pumps together you can get much better suited for the application.

Just my

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

Xtreme Member
    I have had great luck with my d5 pump so far

even though is not exactly ideal
    PC hardware and PC video game reviews... look me up on facebook
    www.unyty.com/Video-Games
    http://www.youtube.com/user/1984ericfx

Welp, now I'm torn haha is rather just get one pump and its basically either the d5 or that monster aquarium pump... hehe >=] anybody know if aquarium pumps are a lot louder or any downsides to something that powerful really?

Actually what about this pump for less that half the price and around the same flow rate? Plus its submersible! marineandreef.amazonwebstore.com/SeaLine-SL6530-Utility-Pump-430.5-GPH/M/B001KA7JYO.htm
    Last edited by hello im sean; 08-27-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Xtreme Member
    its not like the chiller will be quiet

.... thanks lol I'm working on sound dampening as one of my main objectives

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hello im sean View Post
    .... thanks lol I'm working on sound dampening as one of my main objectives
    How quiet are you going to get the setup, I mean the compressor is not quiet really

Well on my system its the condenser fan that really makes the noise so I'm probs gonna replace it with a grid of smaller fans and right now I have my whole system sitting in a box packed with fiberglass insulation and the air intakes are also baffled. Working on baffling for the air exit out of the condenser now. I'm taking it seriously

Xtreme Member
    I use the WMD-20RLT for my setup, thankfully it's in another room pushing to my computer, not Extremely loud, but if you don't hear it over your case fans then you would be classified Deaf.

larry
    Last edited by Big Lar; 08-27-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Q9650
    Asus P5Q-D Bios 1406
    280 GTX FC Block
    2x2gb OCZ Flex II PC2 9200
    Water Cooled/ Iwaki MD20/ D-Tek Fuzion
    XFX 850 Watt
    OWC SSD

So the iwaki is nice and all but the submersible pump I listed in a previous post seems to better fit my needs.. and for $50 at 420 gph can't beat it? Would this be a bad idea?

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    the main reason not to put a pump in submerged is that it adds heat to the liquid and we are looking to keep as much out of that as we can to save for the pc bits. It does say it can be inline so maybe it could work that way

My main point is that you get what you pay for. The Iwaki is superb as far as this application goes. You can use any kind of pump that will move the water though the chiller and blocks though.

So the iwaki is nice and all but the submersible pump I listed in a previous post seems to better fit my needs.. and for $50 at 420 gph can't beat it? Would this be a bad idea?

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] mysticmerlin View Post
    the main reason not to put a pump in submerged is that it adds heat to the liquid and we are looking to keep as much out of that as we can to save for the pc bits. It does say it can be inline so maybe it could work that way

My main point is that you get what you pay for. The Iwaki is superb as far as this application goes. You can use any kind of pump that will move the water though the chiller and blocks though.

Haha thankyou. Do iwaki inlines need to have air flow over them? Or can I put it in an insulated sound proof box..?