Thread: Help! How to remove thermal paste from clothes

Xtreme Member

Help! How to remove thermal paste from clothes

Hi,

I was working with just the standard white thermal paste the other day and managed to get some on the sleeve of my jacket.
    I did not notice and now it is on the jacket front too.
    Does anyone know how to get this stuff off clothes?
    I think the jacket is made from cotton.

If there is no hope I guess it is time for a new jacket

Perhaps it would clean off with a simple washing. It's just silicone based goop. If not, try alcohol (ethyl or isopropyl, NOT methyl).
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the help. Tried washing it, didn't seem to do much
    Will give alcohol a try!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) is pretty much the standard for cleaning anything. Get some, it's tremendously useful!

Yup. It melts most thermal goops in seconds and does a real number on stuff like those skin cell & oil deposits that form around and on mousing surfaces. In terms of effectiveness, ethyl alcohol is about the same. Since I have that stuff already for dry ice runs, I just quit using isopropyl entirely and use just the ethyl. Ethyl is grain alcohol--stuff like Everclear. I also like the idea of the stuff not being insanely toxic. 4mL of isopropyl down the hatch and you're a dead man.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

X. I. P.
    In untreated animals, the median lethal dose [of isopropyl alcohol, ed] lies between 4 and 8 g/kg. Many sources give an estimated lethal dose of 250 mL in humans (eg, less than 400 mL of a 70 percent solution). It is important to recognize that, with treatment, adults and children have survived much larger ingestions.
    http://www.uptodate.com/patients/con...=~oEG16I3jicJE

I think you have isopropyl alcohol confused with another toxin. Isopropyl alcohol is a common ingredient in mouthwashes, for instance.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."