Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gorilla glass unbreakable? I think not

Xtreme Member
    Well here we go

Sorry bout the long wait. Had some real fun and games with the phone i used to take the pictures with.

Last edited by Panther_Seraphi; 09-24-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: rehosted images :)

Dude you broke your Dell.
    24/7 Gaming system: Asus P6-T rev 1 6gb Patriot 1600MHz I7 920 C0 4.2@1.4V 2x SLI EVGA GTX 280 727/1580/2408 2x Raid 0 Baracuda 400 GB 2x Raid 0 Cheetah 15k 73 Gb SAS Watercooled CPU

Xtreme Addict
    It's the molecular structure of glass that causes it to break on contact with... other glass. It's a lattice structure, so sudden, spread force is its brittle point. It's not as simple as the Moh's scale, but it can be explained that way.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Addict
    Glass is amorphous though.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    Glass is amorphous though.
    I think it's only amorphous from a 2D view... I guess that proves it's not lattice, but it does have a structure similar to it.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Addict
    No ... glass is amorphous. Crystalline silica is quartz. The actual explanation for the bond strength is more complicated ... but qualitatively the Mohs scale works.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

2.4C killer
    I had a Zune HD, think it has gorilla glass. Anyways, was bench pressing 90lb dumbells had the zune in my shorts pocket and set the weight on my leg (And zune, ooops), cracked the glass and screwed the zune. Cracks everwhere and screen didn't really work again.

It's not surprising. Gorilla glass is harder than steel, but it's still glass. It will shatter like any other glass will.

Easily scratched: No
    Shatterable: Yes
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

That really sucks. I'm just glad I have yet to drop my droid.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Here's an example of what happens. It's no myth, at least when it comes to iPhones with gorilla glass fronts:

The back isn't gorrila glass fyi
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    My Samsung Wave landed on asphalt today (i hate it when it happens). It landed edge down and then on the screen. Not a single scratch on a screen, but i have few nasty holes in the aluminum case. I'd wish it was made from stainless steel instead, even with higher weight. It would be scratched but not dented... Plus if it was silver i culdn't even see the scratches, but since it's black, they are quite visible. Ah. 1 month old and already scratched. I hate this.
    Same I've got some nasty dents in my Droid1. I've even held the phone in my teeth before (weird situation with my car) and the glass wore down a piece of my tooth just a little

I've had ~4ft drops onto asphalt and just have dents to prove it
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Got a silicone skin on that dell streak? If you don't, I think that having one might have saved it. I have dropped my samsung Captivate 3 times from 1-3 feet but it has a silicone skin, it just seemed to bounce right batck with it on.
    Tech Bench. Core i7 920 3845B028 4.44 HT 1.32V. GSKILL 2000 @ 2104 8-9-8. e760 EVGA Classified. SLI GTX 470s. Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250 watt. Swiftech XT, MCP 355, EK Full Cover 470. Black ICE GTX360. Bitspower compression fittings

^______^
    Maybe the Gorilla Glass on the Dell Streak isn't very thick. o_O

I mean, maybe the quality is just not up to par with phones like the iPhone 4.

You know, otherwise there would be countless threads like this, yet yours is the only one I have seen here. XP

Quote Originally Posted by fl0w3n View Post
    Same I've got some nasty dents in my Droid1. I've even held the phone in my teeth before (weird situation with my car) and the glass wore down a piece of my tooth just a little

I've had ~4ft drops onto asphalt and just have dents to prove it
    Interesting.

A bit of a clumsy guy, eh?

That's cool, but while you're at it, why not invest in a case? XD

Gorilla glass is only made in thicknesses of 0.5~2.0mm, so it isn't like there's going to be a lot of glass there no matter which thickness is selected. It also doesn't matter much since glass is universally weak at the edge. Strike it at the edge and watch it shatter, 0.5 or 2.0 mm alike.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12