Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Engineers

Xtreme Member

Electronics Engineers

Any Electronics Engineers out there...

Could you possibly recommend decent books to study the basics/fundamentals of Electronics?

Also electronics books related to audio design, covering things such as amplifiers, filters, etc.

Thanking you kindly.

i5 3570K|GTX 590|ASRock H77M-ITX|HX620W|8GB CORSAIR|128 M4

I am Xtreme
    this is one of our basic books back in college... most of my classmates are in intel/texas instruments fujitsu siemens etc

this is by bernard grob
    http://www.amazon.com/Grob-Basic-Ele.../dp/002802253X

another author i like is malvino
    http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Pri...ref=pd_sim_b_1

for audio...i'll have to dig deeper..sorry i'm soldering my motherboard

welcome to electronics

Xtreme Member
    Just went ahead and bought both of these! Any more recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Eng.../dp/1403903123

Some of my lecturers recommended that, but most swore at or by this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-...ref=pd_sim_b_9

I'd recommend it too. Well laid out, not 50 billion things crammed onto each page, never felt dragged down by it. Plenty of worked examples and sets of questions to help you get used to the formulae, formulae manipulation etc

The image in your avatar is the MI6 building, not MI5
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    K.A. Stroud!!! I USED TO HAVE THIS BOOK AT UNI!! Nice one mate. So do you prefer the second linked book over the K.A. Stroud?

Nice catch on the sig image! It's a poke at pseudo intellectuals on forums. You know, people who try to pass off as being more intelligent than they really are or looking at things in either black or white then being ready to fight and get passionate over inane un-important things in life.
    Last edited by trentlad; 08-27-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    So.... technically I fell into the trap?

I'd rank Croft & Davidson over Stroud, yea Guess it depends on the finer points of what will be in your courses
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Aussie God
    Studying to become one.... I'd say, sign up for a degree at a well respected university...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Member
    I've got some very good books on DC circuit analysis and signals, but my brain hurts too much to tell you the titles atm. Been cramming for my Control and Measurement exam resit. Pretty sure I'm going to have to retake the year.
    Last edited by Jacka; 08-30-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    So.... technically I fell into the trap?

I'd rank Croft & Davidson over Stroud, yea Guess it depends on the finer points of what will be in your courses
    Not at all mate! It's kind of a poke that doesn't really work until it's explained. Hence pointless. Thanks for the recommendation, I wasn't the biggest fan of Stroud either and it only made sense when accompanied by my lecture notes. That said, I scored the third highest in the year for that class and the book was the main thing that explained the majority of the lectures for me. Our lecturer was terrible and many protested by not taking the exam.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Studying to become one.... I'd say, sign up for a degree at a well respected university...
    I have my EE degree and did fairly well (it was the grade I was aiming for but I only just made that grade), I graduated and was employed out of that field and haven't practiced it for over five years. Now I just moved career back into my dream field and I'm trying (desperately) to recollect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacka View Post
    I've got some very good books on DC circuit analysis and signals, but my brain hurts too much to tell you the titles atm. Been cramming for my Control and Measurement exam resit. Pretty sure I'm going to have to retake the year.
    Please do give me your suggestions but don't take away time from your studies mate. You're right in the heat of revising so you should know what works well and what falls short. So your advice would be welcomed.
    Last edited by trentlad; 08-30-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Stroud Engineering /Advanced Engineering Mathematics are legendary books lol. I mostly study from lecture notes though that the university give me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    this is one of our basic books back in college... most of my classmates are in intel/texas instruments fujitsu siemens etc

this is by bernard grob
    http://www.amazon.com/Grob-Basic-Ele.../dp/002802253X

another author i like is malvino
    http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Pri...ref=pd_sim_b_1

for audio...i'll have to dig deeper..sorry i'm soldering my motherboard

welcome to electronics
    Thx for the links honda I picked up both of them for a total of $23

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    Thx for the links honda I picked up both of them for a total of $23
    The Electronics Principles book is immense! I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with that book, it's massive and has an absolute ton of examples to work through.

I just received Grob today.

Banned Movieman...
    i'm in my first semester studying Computer engineering, but i think im going to go for electrical engineering as a double major

Xtreme Addict
    Buy a huge pile of Deans Electronics books. Each book will raise your knowledge of electronics by about 5% or so, so you'll need about 20 of them to get to get your brain to 100% on the basics, fundamentals, and repair of electronics. You'll be an electronics wiz in no time! Only problem is you'll have to run around from one store to another looking for them. But when you find one, check back every few days and they should have more available.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 08-31-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    I looked at Art of Electronics but it looks so dated from Amazon using the 'look inside' feature. Is it really worth it or was it more of an old classic? A lot of the veteran EEs are recommending it.

So far I've bought these and they've been great purchases:
    Electronic Principles

Yet to receive:
    Design with Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits
    Higher Engineering Mathematics

Not overly impressed with:
    Grob: Basic Electronics

Xtreme Addict
    I can't believe no one got that joke....
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

The un-extreme XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    I can't believe no one got that joke....
    I give you some points for the fallout reference .

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Banned
    i'm in my first semester studying Computer engineering, but i think im going to go for electrical engineering as a double major
    what is the difference between the two?
    some are saying CE is about designing circuits and EE is more about large electrical infrastructure, while some are saying EE is for designing circuits as well..

I am Xtreme
    electrical engg = substations...transmission lines...generators(think 10KW-1TW) ... they also know alot of electronics

I am Xtreme
    comp engg also covers lots of software...

mobo and psu design is much more for electronics...these stuff are easy though.

Banned
    what kind of software (sorry deleted that post)..

Xtreme Member
    onex: You've just hit on a fairly major confusion in the US.

I still don't know if I'm using the correct expression over here but in UK an 'Electrical Engineer' will deal with industrial/local power supplies, motors, switch gears, generators, small circuit power supplies, etc. The 'Electronics Engineer' will deal with microprocessors, home electronics circuit design, automotive electrical, etc.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    Wow, I wish you good luck. Not two easy majors.
    Last edited by YukonTrooper; 09-10-2010 at 08:49 PM.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by trentlad View Post
    onex: You've just hit on a fairly major confusion in the US.

I still don't know if I'm using the correct expression over here but in UK an 'Electrical Engineer' will deal with industrial/local power supplies, motors, switch gears, generators, small circuit power supplies, etc. The 'Electronics Engineer' will deal with microprocessors, home electronics circuit design, automotive electrical, etc.
    usually in the US EE covers a lot of ground including nano/microelectronics, photovoltaics, photonics, power control systems, etc. you have to specialize for what ever field you want to go in.
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    Wow, I wish you good luck. Not two easy majors.
    the two majors are very similar and they complement each other well. a lot of prereqs will be the same. personally i'd go with computer science for a double major because programming is a good skill to have even on a electrical engineer's resume.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    the two majors are very similar and they complement each other well. a lot of prereqs will be the same. personally i'd go with computer science for a double major because programming is a good skill to have even on a electrical engineer's resume.
    i get alot of programming in the school im taking CE at currently

CE is EE but completely focused on computers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast