Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Areca 1880

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    excellent find steve- wonder if they will have memory for it
    i did find one retailer with the recommended 4gb module, for 420 bucks. ouch. went halfway and ordered a guaranteed compatible stick (kingston KVR800D2D8P6/2G) for 60 dollars. same brand, half the size, but seven times cheaper. unbelievable, i feel like im being price gouged, as they are impossible to find. so i wont do it. no ing way. i have ordered from unigen directly, and while the lead time is long, i am doing it on principle
    so steve-o my man...you seem noticeably absent from the 1880 party, you gonna join?
    my results are super late but RLS is hampering me...

@Biker, i have recieved a reply from areca on the stick you linked, they say it is no good as it isnt registered they are full of ideas on ram that WONT work, but none when it comes to ram that will work.
    Good morning Mr CT,
    In my limited spare time I'm playing with clarkdale 655k on the cascade.
    Chasing points on the hw bot!
    But enjoying very much watching all of you making progress with the 1880!

As Dinos said last week - regarding pcmv -
    I need to give others a chance for a while

Xtreme X.I.P.
    There were 4 miniSAS -> miniSAS cables in the box (IX-16) + 1 serial cable?

Won't be able to test for another 3-4 hours.

Like Computurd said, it's huge compared to the LSI, it has to be as the DDR stick needs some space
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    My first ever benchmark on the Areca 1880IX-16

4KB RR QD64 4R0 Intel G1 80GB

4R0_G1_1880_4K_RR_QD64.PNG

I haven't started exploring anything yet, just a quick 1st run.

edit:

Temperature while migrating from 16KB stripe size to 4KB.
    (would have been quicker to recreate the raid, just had to test)

hw_monitor.PNG
    Last edited by Anvil; 08-31-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    -
    Hardware:

I am Xtreme
    looking good, strip size? 1GB cache?

RAIDer
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    Nizzen surpassed 100.000 4K rr iops last night using the C300s, not sure of what settings he used.

(might have been the read ahead stuff, I'll ask him)
    It passed 100k @ qQD and the "default" controller settings where used. HDD Read Ahead Cache: enabled
    Volume Data Read Ahead: Normal
    Volume Stripe Size: 4k
    Tagged Command Queuing: enabled
    Volume Cache Mode: Writeback

12 workers in Iometer
    Align i/o : ON "4k"
    Last edited by Nizzen; 08-31-2010 at 10:32 AM.

I am Xtreme
    For comparison - 4x x25v on 1231ML-4G (4GB) 4K random qdepth 64 is ~61K iops (238MB/s) so 1880 is looking good yes?!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=245120&page=6

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Steve,

I'm a bit excited , I expect it could take a while to get to know this thing.
    The test was using 16KB stripe size, 1GB cache, WBC
    Read ahead -> Disabled

@Nizzen
    I've explored the 4K and it seems to max out at 93.000 iops using 4 workers.

Write Through or Write Back doesn't seem to matter for random read, unlike the 9260 where it does matter.

edit:

I'll run a few standard tests just to have something to compare to

ATTO, CDM, AS SSD coming up shortly

Still running 4R0 Intel G1 80GB, SS 4KB

ATTO 256MB (cache testing, right 1GB)

atto_256_4r0_Intel_G1.PNG atto_1GB_4r0_Intel_G1.PNG

AS SSD

(left WT, right WB)
    as-ssd-bench Areca ARC-1880-V 31.08.2010 20-35-57_4R0_Intel_G1_WT.png as-ssd-bench Areca ARC-1880-V 31.08.2010 20-35-57_4R0_Intel_G1_WB.png

(left WB, Volume read ahead, - right + HDD read ahead)
    as-ssd-bench Areca ARC-1880-V 31.08.2010 20-35-57_4R0_Intel_G1_WB_VOL_RA.png as-ssd-bench Areca ARC-1880-V 31.08.2010 20-35-57_4R0_Intel_G1_WB_VOL_RA_HDD_RA.png

CDM
    (WB, Volume read ahead + HDD read ahead)
    cdm_4R0_IntelG1_100MB.PNG cdm_4R0_IntelG1_1000MB.PNG cdm_4R0_IntelG1_2000MB.PNG

iometer 1GB testfile, read ahead disabled
    4K RR 1W QD1-32 + 4K RR 4W QD4-32
    +
    same runs using Volume read ahead
    max ~100.000 iops at low QD on both
    +
    last file is 32KB stripe size, 1 and 3GB testfile
    comment on the 3GB test, ~53.000 iops is max, a bit disappointing.
    Looks like as one steps out of the cache, things slow down.
    Last edited by Anvil; 08-31-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Member
    Help someone with areca 1880. I have just recieved the cables 3ware and on connecting the card up to 2 x Intel 80GB G1's in default raid 0 my results have me confused.

atto result

Previous ICH10 Intel raid 0

Every time I run atto it seems low numbers appear on some of the reads. I have set and redone the array even tried changing cables still same results inconsitency. Can anyone point me where might the problem lie. just got back in from work so probably something I missed. BTW these results are taken from OS on normal HD with win7 and drivers installed for card etc. My HD teach for the intels on ICH 10 was around 525MB across the board.

Crystal mark is better
    old intel

seq = 565.7 write 158.1
    512k = 368.7 write 151.2
    4k = 18.74 write 121.4
    4kqd32 = 240.9 write 140.6

new areca
    seq = 553 write 179.9
    512 = 593 write 191.9
    4k = 22.98 write 130.3
    4kqd32 = 225.5 write 157.2

0 fill 512 cache enabled

So why the strange atto. Long bench HDtach is very good?

hmm downloaded newer version atto results speak for themselves.

And long bench areca but short still shows 300 odd must be glitch or untrustworthy bench or cache. Looks good otherwise

Last edited by DeViTTo; 08-31-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    System:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe 2600K 4.8Ghz 5970 4GB Corsiar GT 2000 Areca 1880i & Corsair F40 and 2 Intel 80 Watercooled DDC 120.3

SLC
    Both ATTO and HDtach are no good at measuring things. ATTO works fine only if there is no cache.

Xtreme Member
    I know the cache plays into the score, but I still think something is not quite right here is my intel score 1gb and areca 1gb so taking away the cache which on my card is only 512mb anyways. Please someone chirp in if you know why my reads on the areca at 1 gb should be so low.

Intel

Areca

Anyone?
    System:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe 2600K 4.8Ghz 5970 4GB Corsiar GT 2000 Areca 1880i & Corsair F40 and 2 Intel 80 Watercooled DDC 120.3

Xtreme X.I.P.
    DeVitto,

I don't know, still exploring the thing.

There's definately something wrong though, probably your settings.

Do an AS SSD and post a screenshot.
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Member
    Here you go I haven't changed much from when I recieved the card for the intial tests. This is configured with 128 stripe read ahead on write back etc. Whats the default config I might have to read that manual lol but I havent seen restore to defaults in the settings otherwise i was setting the 128k because thats what I had on ICH10, and I believe Intels are best on that stripe size. I did try a 4k stripe and my reads went nearer to where they should be with atto. I have always trusted attos output above all hd tests so I dunno whats correct here.

System:

Xtreme Guru
    @eva--wow that is crazy you Aussies have all the good stuff cheap ram! I hope it is compatible

the rapport with the areca techs has seemed to help somewhat. they are sending me a 4gb stick of the Unigen ram, for zero dollars! That is great, i am very excited
    I did link them to some of the 9260 threads i have done on several sites, and they agreed that a lack of american availability of the ram wasn't good so they helped me out. Awesome
    i still have the 2gb inbound, so that will hold me off. the tracking on the ram they sent has no ETA, but it is already moving quickly...was sent express so soon i will know how fast stuff gets to kansas from taiwan
    couldnt be more stoked about that!

@Anvil, excited to see that you have your controller, you have much superior hardware than i do, these vertex are tired
    @nizzen-superior results getting over the 100K iops mark! question: what exactly do you mean by " Align i/o : ON "4k"?

I havent made any runs at the smaller stripe sizes, and also with only one worker. The only stripes ive ran is 128 and 64..soon that will change..
    the tests i did with the LSI were with only one worker, so in comparing i was going to only do one...but this is a different animal, so time to run some other stuff.
    Last edited by Computurd; 08-31-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

I am Xtreme
    @ Anvil - looking good!
    Areca's like small strip size - try smaller!

@ CT - congrats on getting your memory FOR FREE! - jealous - very jealous!

I am Xtreme
    @ Devito - go to 16k stripe or smaller and make sure write back is turned on in the controller - see if that helps.

Xtreme Guru
    @steve-o
    didnt realize you benched on the bot...6076.7 cpu-z??? now THAT is something to be jealous of impressive!
    with your gear you should be able to blow it up! noticed you havent hit PCM05 yet, those should be some easy points for you with that array...actually with your gear there is tons of low hanging fruit out there...

guys with the 1880, has anyone tried pci-e overclock yet?
    EDIT:
    @anvil-i am experiencing similar temps with the areca, with a fan pointed at it the temp is easily manageable with cpu at 48 C and the controller @ 33 C / the lsi has not temp display in its MSM so i am not sure what it is running at.

still not able to get over 75k iops on 4k random, but the 4k sequential i am hitting 133k IOPS with 4 workers.

Last edited by Computurd; 08-31-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Xtreme Guru
    Dam look at all of you guru's, im just sitting back and taking it all in, leaning learning learning

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    @ Anvil - looking good!
    Areca's like small strip size - try smaller!
    Most of my tests are done using 4K, looks like they are great, can't stop looking at the others though.

PCMV HDD score 84072 - 3R0 Vertex 2 60GB on the Areca Link

4R0 V2 was lower , looks like odd numbers sometimes do better.

@CT
    Guess you'll have to start looking for new SSDs
    Last edited by Anvil; 09-01-2010 at 01:43 AM.
    -
    Hardware:

I am Xtreme
    Good morning guys,

@ Mr CT - off topic but playing with clarkdale last night, I have the 14th fastest 655k in superpi @ 5735.6MHz - http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...55k_7sec_375ms

So back on topic - your 75K 4kRR iops with how many drives? still vertex 1's?

@ Mr Anvil -
    84k with only 3 drives?
    With only 1GB cache?
    Can't wait to see 5, 7 and 9 drives!
    Last edited by SteveRo; 09-01-2010 at 02:08 AM.

RAIDer
    My controller gets hot with no airflow. Had to test :p 80celcius

Answer from Areca:

about the temperature issue.

They really get hot and our cards is specified up to 90 degree – so no problem with

60~70c+”

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    @ Devito - go to 16k stripe or smaller and make sure write back is turned on in the controller - see if that helps.
    Tried 16k similar results I don't understand why so low with cache below 512k fantastic results as soon as the cache size is past i.e transfering larger than cache Atto scores tumble. Anyone any ideas? I really haven't changed much config wise in the card settings.

System:

Xtreme Guru
    @steve-o....amazing result with teh clarkdale, like i was saying, you can kick serious ass with that gear~! it actually didnt suprise me one bit you reached that high....knowing you in a few days it will be higher!

@ Vertex gen 1's.... i refuse to buy anything until i see the G3 specs here in two weeks. not gonna blow my wad then regret every minute of it. also, there should be some serious price decreases very soon.

@nizzen--yeah without air they do get hot, but i think the main concern would be if it was next to another card, etc, they are designed to handle the heat. hell even the ram gets hot as hell, put your hand on that stick after an hour....also wouldn't be great for ambient temps in your computers case of course....as you can see i have two 120mm over top of it, but that is overkill, used to have them up there for my tri sli aircooled so i just used what was handy...

speaking of ram sticks mine will be here in the AM, but im screwed regardless. I did a firmware flash for the sake of science, and now my card will not boot. isnt showing up in the bios either, or pre-boot. however, i can access the card from another OS (via archttp) and the array is fine. I am in contact with areca trying to see what is what. i just flashed it with the firmware included with the card, so i am not sure wth is going on...getting anxious though, took a few days off from work for this bench session, now the card is not booting...put the card on two of my other rigs, same deal. no boot. then pulled out my 9260 and tested to rule out the possibility of my hardware being the issue, and it works on the rigs, so i am waiting...

good thing is they are open all night by USA time, so i will be getting some help here very soon...
    got some screenies i will be posting in a few...

@devitto...man atto can be confused sometimes, try some crystal disk mark, and iometer, also do this:

elevate cmd prompt to admin status
    type in:
    winsat disk
    at the cmd prompt.

show us what you get plz
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Xtreme Guru
    ok so doing some comparisons with read ahead, no read ahead, etc. so just some screenies here..
    in some situations (when using cache) the no read ahead is faster.

read ahead on the left, no read ahead on the right, for all following benches...

not bad for some old vertexes, but still i have gotten better results at some stuff (esp high qd 4k) with the 9260-8i

EDIT: Back up and running again!
    Last edited by Computurd; 09-01-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

PCMark V Meister
    hay guys how r u?
    i just logged in to see how r u doing and as i see u r doing perfect so just to rock the boat let me post u something
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	994 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	107309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	results.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	290.6 KB 
ID:	107310  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Long time no see Tilt

The LSI lineup is still great, no doubt about it, will be comparing as soon as I get some time.

Still using 8 drives?
    -
    Hardware:

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast