Thread: Rahul Sood, HP's Gaming Biz CTO, upgrades his HP Blackbird 002 to GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R

Xtreme Legend

Rahul Sood, HP's Gaming Biz CTO, upgrades his HP Blackbird 002 to GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R

Can't go wrong with one of these I say

Source: Rahul's blog

I finally did it. I decided to bring my Blackbird 002 from 2007 to 2010 with some serious VoodooDNA. This machine is over three years old and it's still very current - it's a real testament to how ahead of its time it was.

I spent under $1000 and I ended up replacing the motherboard, CPU, memory, power supply, and fans. I already have a selection of video cards kicking around so it was a pretty cheap upgrade. My new Blackbird operates silently. I kept the same liquid cooler and used a new Intel i7 mount for it. The Gigabyte motherboard fits like a glove in the chassis with very little cable management changes.

If you are going to do this I recommend you pick up a large can of air and blow out the entire system when you pull it apart.

Here is a list of parts I ordered:
    • Corsair AX850 Power Supply
    • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 (why Gigabyte? ..because it's fanless, it's fast, and it's not overpriced. The Asus republic of gamer motherboard seems way overpriced for what you get, don't waste your money)
    • Intel Core i7 Processor 930 2.80GHz w/ 8MB Cache
    • Corsair 6GB XMS3-1333 Triple Channel
    • 2 120mm silent 1200CFM RADIAL fans (to replace the top radiator fans on the Blackbird)
    • New mounting bracket for the liquid cooler (buy a cheap Corsair H50 & dump the cooler, use the i7 mounting bracket)

I received new cards from ATI and Nvidia - I'm still playing between them. Based on the individual performance of these cards it's unlikely that I will install two. One video card is more than enough to deliver the performance I need in all my games at 2560x1600. By using one card my machine is also quieter and it runs cooler - and I still run dual displays. It's generally easier to work on as well.

I'm amazed at how well my PC is running now! It's way faster, it's much quieter, and it's rock solid!

It's been over three years and we basically left the premium market wide open after HP Voodoo proved it could design a world class performance PC. There was a time when Henry Ford brought out the Ford GT just to embarrass Ferrari in the 24 hours of Lemans. They succeeded by completely destroying everyone and winning all three podium positions.

Well they did bring it back eventually... Remember that?
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    he comes off as kind of an arrogant . Of course he has a bunch of video cards laying around, and why would someone buy a corsair h50 just for a mounting bracket?

what a douche

Xtreme Enthusiast
    rahul "phenom @ 3ghz is a stone cold killer" sood
    http://www.rahulsood.com/2007/08/ben...edy-whack.html

Xtreme Guru
    One video card is more than enough to deliver the performance I need in all my games at 2560x1600
    LOL what? Try Crysis or Metro 2033 (freaking awesome game).
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Xtreme Legend
    Dungeons and Dragons at super high res maybe
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Member
    epic failure ...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hollo View Post
    rahul "phenom @ 3ghz is a stone cold killer" sood
    http://www.rahulsood.com/2007/08/ben...edy-whack.html
    Exactly what came to my mind
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Wanna look under my kilt?
    How exactly is this news?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

I am Xtreme
    Who does big D work for Kenny ? I rather read this then the armed intruder in Paris Hiltons house. Who cares about that ?

Rahul has alwas been controversial in his blogs ( recalling the Custom PC times )...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Legend
    googles armed intruder in Paris Hilton's house

already sounds staged
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Why'd he get an i7 930......he doesn't even know what bclock is, does he
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    No reason to bag on the dude. I am a fan of the old VooDoo. Rahul did great stuff there.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Why'd he get an i7 930......he doesn't even know what bclock is, does he
    Because this one has replaced the 920..

here in europa you hardly find 920s, and when you find them they are the same price as a 930... so no point in getting a 920.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Because this one has replaced the 920..

here in europa you hardly find 920s, and when you find them they are the same price as a 930... so no point in getting a 920.
    amen, same story gave me a 930. Besides no microcenters here.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    No reason to bag on the dude. I am a fan of the old VooDoo. Rahul did great stuff there.
    +1

this is my current rig:

I love the blackbird chassis.

Xtreme Addict
    Is this from someones blog? Or why do we care what someone upgraded to?
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I am Xtreme
    i dont see whats so news worthy, maybe a worklog post would be more fitting

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    Is this from someones blog? Or why do we care what someone upgraded to?
    Rahul is the world's uber nerd who founded VoodooPC and then sold the business to HP and gave himself a fancy job title CTO > Chief Technology Officer

He's not your average Joe Bloe blogger imo
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i dont see whats so news worthy, maybe a worklog post would be more fitting
    +1, this is not news

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    Rahul is the world's uber nerd who founded VoodooPC and then sold the business to HP and gave himself a fancy job title CTO > Chief Technology Officer

He's not your average Joe Bloe blogger imo
    http://www.rahulsood.com/2006/03/if-...e-machine.html

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme CCIE
    A few things popped to my eyes reading that post:
    - If the system is "still current", why did he have to replace everything in it except the DVD, HDD, and liquid cooling system?
    - Also, HDD speeds have increased significantly in the last 3 years. It's also where you'll see a lot of day-to-day difference.
    - I like how he makes it sound like the old system was so good that he did a full overhaul for under $1000, but in reality you should factor in the video card(s), should do a HDD upgrade, and quite likely he did an OS upgrade he's not mentioning at some point. It's not that he didn't directly state the video cards were free, but it reads like "Our systems are so good that upgrades are very cheap even 3 years later". This is fine because he obviously has a stake in doing some marketing, but it still smacked me a bit.

@Dino - Re: "He's not just some blogger" - I would counter that this is just a blog post about how someone who we happen to know bought a few not-top-of-the-line parts and put them in his old chassis. That's like blogging about Steve Jobs stepping in gum. When he is talking about a new HP product or a new Voodoo branded item, or even does something exciting like built a top-of-the-line something using components the average person can't even get their hands on, then he's a someone. But when a person is talking about an inconsequential act or subject matter beyond their scope of knowledge, they suddenly become "just some guy". I'm know there is at least one other poster out there who disagrees with me on that, but I maintain the position.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point