Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Bobcat and Bulldozer

Xtreme Member
    At least this side has the original AMD slides so that we can separate facts from fantasy.......

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...essors_preview

The only disclosure in the whole document concerns the cache sizes of Bobcat: 32kb L1, 512kb L2
    and it contains a typo(?) using kb (kilobit) instead of kB (kiloByte), at least I presume it's a typo....

Regards, Hans
    Last edited by Hans de Vries; 08-24-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Here we have the reason. Integrated PCI-Express controller.

EDIT: Well obviously not, but that what techpowerup claims.
    Last edited by -Boris-; 08-24-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Techpowerup is totally wrong,they confuse bulldozer with Llano...

Outside the modules
    At the chip-level, there's a large L3 cache, a northbridge that integrates the PCI-Express root complex, and an integrated memory controller. Since the northbridge is completely on the chip, the processor does not need to deal with the rest of the system with a HyperTransport link. It connects to the chipset (which is now relegated to a southbridge, much like Intel's Ibex Peak), using A-Link Express, which like DMI, is essentially a PCI-Express link. It is important to note that all modules and extra-modular components are present on the same piece of silicon die.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Boris- View Post

Here we have the reason. Integrated PCI-Express controller.
    No,northbridge controller is not PCI-Express controller,K8 already has integrated northbridge controller.
    Last edited by mindfury; 08-24-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfury View Post
    No,there is no integrated PCI-Express controller in bulldozer.
    No it shouldn't be, if it was, AM3 CPUs wouldn't work in AM3+ either. , another messed up article.
    And the serverparts wouldn't fit G34 either.

But what do the mean by NB? It can't be the memory controller (as in K8) since it's mentioned separately.

Xtreme Member
    No it shouldn't be, if it was, AM3 CPUs wouldn't work in AM3+ either. , another messed up article.
    And the serverparts wouldn't fit G34 either.

But what do the mean by NB? It can't be the memory controller (as in K8) since it's mentioned separately.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I know that NB been there since K8, but at that time they meant IMC when they mentioned NB. Now they're mentioned as separate units. What do they mean with NB today if it isn't IMC?

Xtreme Member
    this socket compatibility thing is getting more and more confusing, but I know a lot of people buying AM3 now thinking about upgrading to bulldozer, if this is not possible... AMD will piss off (and lose) many customers...
    I saw people choosing AM3 instead of i7 just because of the future upgrades...
    but anyway, looking at this articles is impossible to be certain about this...
    let's wait for some clear statement...

Xtreme Member
    I know that NB been there since K8, but at that time they meant IMC when they mentioned NB. Now they're mentioned as separate units. What do they mean with NB today if it isn't IMC?
    They mentioned IMC and NB as separate units since K10.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrobozo View Post
    this socket compatibility thing is getting more and more confusing, but I know a lot of people buying AM3 now thinking about upgrading to bulldozer, if this is not possible... AMD will piss off (and lose) many customers...
    I saw people choosing AM3 instead of i7 just because of the future upgrades...
    but anyway, looking at this articles is impossible to be certain about this...
    let's wait for some clear statement...

Yeah, now we have three sources claiming that BD won't fit AM3. And one of them claims that it's an integrated PCIe-controller. On top of that we have an AMD slider that mentions the NB separately from the IMC.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They mentioned IMC and NB as separate units since K10.
    So what is this NB? What does it do? It isn't the bus interface (HT) since that would make every processor with a bus regarded as a processor with an on-die NB. And it isn't the IMC, what is it then? Source please.

EDIT:
    At this point, I do believe BD fits ordinary AM3. And I don't think the PCIe is integrated. But I do have some big questions to sort out first.
    Last edited by -Boris-; 08-24-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Where is JF-AMD! I will be super disappointed if Bulldozer is not compatible with current motherboards

Xtreme Mentor
    So what is this NB? What does it do? It isn't the bus interface (HT) since that would make every processor with a bus regarded as a processor with an on-die NB. And it isn't the IMC, what is it then? Source please.

EDIT:
    At this point, I do believe BD fits ordinary AM3. And I don't think the PCIe is integrated. But I do have some big questions to sort out first.
    Hahah you have changed your mind 10 times about this my that must cause a head ache but i do understand its confusing as hell.

There will not be a integrated PCIe for bulldozer that is common knowledge.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontl1ne View Post
    Where is JF-AMD! I will be super disappointed if Bulldozer is not compatible with current motherboards
    JF only comments on server parts, he has already said that
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Hahah you have changed your mind 10 times about this my that must cause a head ache but i do understand its confusing as hell.

There will not be a integrated PCIe for bulldozer that is common knowledge.
    I know.
    About the compability part, for a brief moment, I actually thought that there was something new that made BD not work in AM3, but since everything is upside down in those articles I'm going back to my old belief that AM3 will work fine. I argued that being the case since the AM2 era. But since there is so much confusion in the articles I wonder what caused it.

Now I just want to know what the NB is if it isn't the IMC.

On socket 462 and earlier NB was a separate chip with memory controller and AGP-controller. On K8 you had NB onchip (IMC) but AGP/PCIe controller on a separate chip sometimes called NB. Now you have both IMC and NB side by side on a slider and I am confused.

Xtreme Mentor
    HotHardware :

Finally, there's Bulldozer. This is AMD's new high-end server / workstation / enthusiast CPU. Like Bobcat, it's an all-new architecture from the ground up. AMD is steadfastly refusing to give any specific timeframe for when Bulldozer chips might be available. But Bulldozer, when it arrives, will be drop-in compatible with the current generation of Opteron motherboards as well as AM3 products, provided that your motherboard manufacturer provides the necessary BIOS update.

Xtreme Addict
    Didnt JF already confirm Bulldozer would be drop into Existing Server boards? Hence There's no technical reason why the same wouldn't apply on the desktop

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    AMD is making a chip where each core is 2/3rds of what it used to be and shall be marketting by the number of cores...
    On the other hand, with Nehalem Intel has made a chip where each core is 4/3rds of what it used to be and is marketing the number of cores (not threads). Which makes me think core count will soon be disregarded just as once GHz was, and we'll see a new metric emerge (threads most probably).
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
    Didnt JF already confirm Bulldozer would be drop into Existing Server boards? Hence There's no technical reason why the same wouldn't apply on the desktop
    Yes he did, as said earlier, it has "always" been common knowledge.

Xtreme Addict
    i think the problem that AM3+ will be LGA.

So there is no problem of compatibility with HT links, but pactage changed. I think this the only reason why ...

I just hope they thinked to upgrade to 4 channels memory.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    i think the problem that AM3+ will be LGA.

So there is no problem of compatibility with HT links, but pactage changed. I think this the only reason why ...

I just hope they thinked to upgrade to 4 channels memory.
    There is no information whatsoever that suggests LGA or anything more than 2 channels. But I must say it would be nice with at least three channels.

Xtreme Member
    This really is getting funny.

Now we have a 3rd site, at least capable of producing a 100% logic sentence.

However there is a lot of strange stuff in the rest of the article.

Additionally to the PCIe error, they compare Bulldozer to a "Turbo diesel" with low RPM (= lowclock speed). They should read Anand's review with the information on the deeper pipelines. These will secure higher clocks ... not low ones.

To LGA:
    If it would be LGA, then it wouldnt be called AM3+

To the Northbridge:
    Well, the rest is basically I/O (Hypertransport, and the XBAR switch Logic). I would prefer to use the Intel term in that case: Uncore (everything, which is not in a Module in AMD's case )

To the reason of the confusion:
    Seems to me like AMD is to blame ... the telephone conference was probably misunderstandable. If it would be compatible they should have said so. The AMD officials probably said something like "not 100% compatible", and then the rest was speculation ...
    Last edited by Opteron146; 08-24-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron146 View Post
    To the Northbridge:
    Well, the rest is basically I/O (Hypertransport, and the XBAR switch Logic). I would prefer to use the Intel term in that case: Uncore (everything, which is not in a Module in AMD's case )
    So on an AM3 system there are three things that could be called NB, the IMC, the uncore and the PCIe part of the chipset?
    Usually the confusion tends to be about the chipset or the IMC, but dragging the uncore to the mix is just unnecessary.
    The uncore has nothing to do with traditional NB-functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Opteron146 View Post
    To the reason of the confusion:
    Seems to me like AMD is to blame ... the telephone conference was probably misunderstandable. If it would be compatible they should have said so. The AMD officials probably said something like "not 100% compatible", and then the rest was speculation ...
    Yes, probably something about AM3 not being capable of all the features of BD. Guess some things will be clearer by the evening.
    Last edited by -Boris-; 08-24-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Some food for thought. Would Asus release a high end AM3 board (CH IV ex) just months before a new socket is required for AMD's high end CPU's?
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    Some food for thought. Would Asus release a high end AM3 board (CH IV ex) just months before a new socket is required for AMD's high end CPU's?
    If the amount of months is around twelve or possibly more, then yes.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast