Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Bobcat and Bulldozer

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Not in a case when terrace is a shareholder in certain company . IF BD fails(it will not,but for a sake of an argument) the stock in that company raises and he profits.Simple math
    You speak the truth therrr
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    See, that statement is what gets people in trouble. Someone reads that statement and assumes 10% lower performance.

IPC will be higher than previous generation
    Single threaded performance will be higher than previous generation

megaquote FTW!!!!
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Florinmocanu View Post
    That's a module mate. 1 core in that module has higher IPC than a Thuban core. Pretty simple. But, when both cores in 1 module work on 2 threads, than you loose 10% performance per core because of the shared components. In single thread scenarios, 1 of the 2 cores works at 100%.
    veryyy simple explanation
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you are going to say that there is a 20% compromise because we have shared resources, then you have to say that Intel has an 85% compromise from their shared architecture. They share execution units and HT gives you a ~14% integer increase.

Some people like to do math but they don't like to do all the math.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Member
    If you are going to say that there is a 20% compromise because we have shared resources, then you have to say that Intel has an 85% compromise from their shared architecture. They share execution units and HT gives you a ~14% integer increase.

megaquote!!!

I am Xtreme

best math since 2+2=4

Banned
    Can you say, "single-threaded integer IPC will be higher than the previous generation" ?

Because that is what Alsup is saying is NOT the case. (integer performance, yes, but integer performance/clock drops slightly in a thread, made up for by a faster clock)

Anything less than that statement could be satisfied through the not-in-dispute FP improvements, or the more cores part. It's got to be: Integer (not FP), IPC (or "performance/clock", not just "performance"), Single-threaded

Something like, "BD will have higher single-threaded integer performance/clock than the previous generation."

That would actually address (and contradict) the statement that Alsup made.
    Last edited by terrace215; 08-30-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

I'm devolving from the level of discussion in this threaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm breaking into tears.

Well I for one likes to keep on topic.
    madcho, the 33% more cores for 50% more perf is on server loads. You can't reliably guesstimate from there.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Here is what it means.

Bulldozer cores are like Intel Hyper-threading cores.

The primary difference is that AMD throws more transistors at the problem by giving each thread it's own set of integer execution units. Added to the fact that AMD’s distributed schedulers and instruction grouping. This is a clear architectural trade-off of performance and decreased control complexity versus size and increased execution complexity. Replicating two full featured ALUs uses more die area, but provides higher performance for certain corner cases, and enables a simpler design for the ROB and schedulers.

The honest truth is if NO CPU designed yet, can keep a constant throughput of 2 instructions per clock. So the more efficient design of the Integer cores, suggest that we shouldn't expect any performance drop at all. [For 99.9% of all user applications ]
    ok. if there are no single thread perf drops, then going by the article that compares Real Cores vs HT there should be atleast 40 % improvement compared to similarly clocked Phenom2 at same clocks!! ?

Banned
    What happened to power in those statements? Does performance per watt suddenly not matter?

Or could it be that the adding most of a second integer core actually uses a nice chunk of power when adding that 80% performance?

Is it possible that the thing to look at would be the performance/W improvements that the 2 different degrees of resource-sharing provide? Nahhhhhh.

Banned
    How many times do I have to tell you that bulldozer has higher IPC than our current architecture?

Is somebody being paid by intel to continually post these statements?
    That statement is from AMD's ex Chief Architect. I think the guy is now retired, but if you think Intel is paying him to post on comp.arch...

And your previous statements manage to artfully avoid getting all of "integer" "IPC" (note, IPC, not "performace") and "single-threaded" covered.

It wouldn't be hard to state, assuming your new architect will sign off on it.
    Last edited by terrace215; 08-30-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    Can you say, "single-threaded integer IPC will be higher than the previous generation" ? .

read my previous megaquote ....YES it will be improved ....
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

I am Xtreme
    Come one this gets boring... we can discuss the matter when we have actuall numbers. As it stands now BD is expected to increase IPC and ST performance. Theres not much point in it discussing with a marketing guy and try to make him slip some information regarding this concern.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    Apparently he wants it to be very specific. He thinks something like, AMD drops integer performance to 10% of K10, but increased FP performance by 1001%, hence increased single-threaded performance.

Meh, looks like he still haven't read the whole thread. And he's running out of things to argue about.

EDIT: Anyway, third question answers terrace215's power questions. Honestly man, read the thread, read the slides, we're not here to spoonfeed you, especially seeing how eager you are. Stop nitpicking, and don't say you're not nitpicking.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/08/30...%80%93-part-2/

Nothing that we don't know of though.
    Last edited by blindbox; 08-30-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    That statement is from AMD's ex Chief Architect.
    See:

Ex architect is EX for a reason. His version of bulldozer sucked and was cancelled until it could be satisfactory.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ^^

lol

@ terrace215: Give it a break man?
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme Addict
    i think that a certain forum rule REALLY describes what certain persons are doing in here...

19. Trolling
    Anyone entering the forum with the express intent to cause trouble or harm is subject to immediate and permanent ban.
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Can you say, "single-threaded integer IPC will be higher than the previous generation" ?

Because that is what Alsup is saying is NOT the case. (integer performance, yes, but integer performance/clock drops slightly in a thread, made up for by a faster clock)

Anything less than that statement could be satisfied through the not-in-dispute FP improvements, or the more cores part. It's got to be: Integer (not FP), IPC (or "performance/clock", not just "performance"), Single-threaded

Something like, "BD will have higher single-threaded integer performance/clock than the previous generation."

Terrace are you buying a ready product or 1 kg of Ghz like tomatoes?

Who cares about clock for clock if the part performs better in a given TDP budget which it was designed for.

To everyone else reading this thread: can we start a pool for Movieman to ban terrace from all threads including the word AMD?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised for this to hold true core for core at the same frequency.
    I won't discount the possibility that taking out extra ALUs could lead to a bottleneck. We don't know enough to say otherwise at this point.

But I'm not going to reject the possibility that with all the frontend and cache improvements 2 well fed ALUs could beat 3 poorly fed ones. ALU count alone doesn't determine the average IPC, only the max. K10 isn't anywhere near 2 on average as you pointed out.

Why all the fascination with integer instructions? Real code uses a mix of int, fp, logical, and memory instructions. If the IPC of BD versus K10 increases when executing real world code isn't that what matters?

What happened to power in those statements? Does performance per watt suddenly not matter?

Or could it be that the adding most of a second integer core actually uses a nice chunk of power when adding that 80% performance?

Is it possible that the thing to look at would be the performance/W improvements that the 2 different degrees of resource-sharing provide? Nahhhhhh.
    Of course adding a whole second set of execution resources is going to increase power consumption compared to HT. It's also going to perform better.

Xtreme Enthusiast

What difference does it make, either way? I'm starting to wonder if you and your buddies are'nt just sitting around your mothers basement drinking pop, laughing at all the sh1t you're stirring up in various AMD threads.

Xtreme Addict
    its obvious that he his scared that bulldozer will become the 2010 pentium killer ... so his stock will likely plunge ... poor him
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadov View Post
    Terrace are you buying a ready product or 1 kg of Ghz like tomatoes?

Who cares about clock for clock if the part performs better in a given TDP budget which it was designed for.

To everyone else reading this thread: can we start a pool for Movieman to ban terrace from all threads including the word AMD?
    i guess that it's up to the admins to decide on this issue; not on us to start a witchhunt on certain persons....

while i think that the only purpose of terrace' posts is to create chaos and troll 80% of all forum members (and to secretly earn some more money from his shares / or directly from intel) we aren't the ones who should decide if a user gets banned only because he says things that we don't like
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    You guys apparently don't realize that:

performance != performance/clock (IPC)

IPC != single-threaded IPC

and that the Alsup statement was about the *Integer* pipeline.

It doesn't matter how big the font is that says "Single-thread performance is higher." or "Bulldozer IPC will be higher." Neither of those address the Alsup claim which was that:

Single-threaded integer performance PER CLOCK (i.e. IPC) will be ~5% lower.

I would not have thought that the distinction would require a great deal of analytical reasoning ability to comprehend, but the numerous replies (with one exception that I've seen) indicate that I am either incorrect in my assessment or that educational systems are failing.

And really, all the personal stuff because someone posts something you disagree with? Really?
    Last edited by terrace215; 08-30-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    IPC != single-threaded IPC
    It doesn't?

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast