Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Bobcat and Bulldozer

Hybrid View

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When is the actual release date supposed to be?
    HTPC - AMD Phenom II 555 Unlocked(4cores) - 4GB Gskill - AMD HD 5850 - Avermedia Duet - Harman Kardon avr247 - Surround Sound (Infinity Beta 50's, 10's, 360, and ed a2-300) - Samsung 46"

Desktop Powerhouse PC - Gathering dust due to high usage of HTPC as general pc now

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 96redformula View Post
    When is the actual release date supposed to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anandtech
    “Due out in the first half of 2009, AMD's Bulldozer core is the true revolutionary successor to the K8 architecture. While Barcelona and Shanghai are both evolutionary improvements to the current core, Bulldozer is the first ground-up redesign since the K7.”
    The current plan is next summer but we know how did it work out last time...

Xtreme Member
    @anandtech:

MMX

This should be at least XOP .. .makes no sense otherwise, MMX is dead as dodo.

We need a release date and specs.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    nothing more than was said by dresdenboy yet

edit: only the AM3+ socket was confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by madcho View Post
    nothing more than was said by dresdenboy yet

edit: only the AM3+ socket was confirmed.
    how about this?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3863/a...t-chips-2010/5

Xtreme Cruncher
    nice
    exciting time ahead

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lostcircuits seems to believe that Bulldozer will be a bobcat with an extra core. They mention store, load and two instruction pipes. Guess it's reasonable, but not too interesting.
    They're talking about HT in Bobcat too. Seems like something I'll investigate closer. But I think they misunderstood something.

EDIT:
    Anandtechs preview is much more in line with my expectations. Seems like Dresdenboy was right when he first talked about two AGUs and two ALUs.
    But seems like the performance per core will be significantly lower than sandy bridge, but at the same time seems like they made really small modules. I think the most fair comparison will be one BD module vs. one SB core.

Still wonder about L2 cache. AMD has way more inefficient L2 than Intel at this point.

PCperspective seems to think it's 4 ALUs after all. I Trust Anandtech more.
    Last edited by -Boris-; 08-23-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by -Boris- View Post
    Lostcircuits seems to believe that Bulldozer will be a bobcat with an extra core.
    No, way off. They are totally different architectures.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Addict
    2 alu + 2 agu / core.

WTFFFFFF

Xtreme Addict
    I had a bad feeling about the last few AMD cpu launches and I was right, I have a good feeling about bulldozer though, It looks more and more like it will rock. Also, Being late to the party will not mater if it does rock, Better to wait and get it right imo.

all outta gum
    nothing
    Last edited by G.Foyle; 08-24-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Mentor
    AMD also told us that it will introduce a new AM3+ socket for consumer versions of Bulldozer CPUs. AM2 and AM3 processors will work in the AM3+ socket, but Bulldozer chips will not work in non-AM3+ motherboards.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2368186,00.asp

waaa waa
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Forget that comment, they just proofed that they dont have any clue.

AM2 CPUs cannot work in AM3, however they should now be able to work in AM3+ ???

Sorry but:

They definitely understood something very, very wrong.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron146 View Post

AM2 CPUs cannot work in AM3, however they should now be able to work in AM3+ ???

Sorry but:

lol did not notice that was more concerned over the Bulldozer not working with non- AM3+ parts.

Agree that's not good for a AM3 actual board.

But C32 and G34 will be working.

i don't understand fully this part in anandtech review :

Why a 2 Alu core could be faster than a 3 ?

WTF if there is not 4 alu and 3 agu per core, where is integer performance ?

I'm afraid about this too :

Same clockspeed + deeper pipeline.

AMD says that 3rd ALU was not much used in PhII and it was left so as not to redesign that part. But yes there will be a performance dip due to this in single threaded ALU dependent app's. Lets hope the other enhancements actually work to cover up this missing ALU.

Branch Prediction is said to be aggressive and it has to be with as deep a pipeline bulldozer has otherwise we can have a call problem. On the bright side deeper pipes may enable better overclocking well that depends a lot on the architecture.
    Last edited by ajaidev; 08-23-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    lol did not notice that was more concerned over the Bulldozer not working with non- AM3+ parts.
    Yes I can understand your surprise, I was first shocked, too.

However it does not make sense at all.

Since the introduction of Socket AM3 with 941 pins and CPUs in an AM3 package with 938 pins only (because of socket AM2 backward compatibility), I was waiting for a CPU with a "real" AM3 package with the full 941pins, which wont be AM2 compatible.

I think that is it what AM3+ really is about ... plus some faster memory modes.

Just horrible to see how bad some internet sites are ... now the uninformed people who believe that piece of <censored> misinformation will pop up in lots of forums, and it will be linked everywhere, what a pain in the <...>

Xtreme Addict

The 3rd ALU does have some performance benefits, and AMD canned it to reduce die size, but AMD mentioned that the 4-wide front end, fusion and other enhancements more than make up for this reduction. In other words, while there’s fewer single thread integer execution resources in Bulldozer than Phenom II, single threaded integer performance should still be higher.

Branch Prediction and a Deeper Pipeline

Bulldozer will use a deeper pipeline with less logic per stage compared to current Phenom II/Opteron processors. AMD argues that this will ensure clock speed won’t be a problem with the design and we should expect to see Bulldozer based products at similar if not higher clock speeds than what we have today with Phenom II.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Foyle View Post
    There's a Bobcat die floor plan on the slides, anyone care about estimating the die size? There's 512 kB of L2 cache consuming 31% of the total chip area. If Bobcat was made on 45nm process and the cache was the same as L2 in Deneb/Thuban cores, it would make Bobcat core be around 13 mm˛ (core with L2 cache only - gpu engine and memory controller not included).
    Were is that floor plan?

Sorry but:

The AM2 part is probably a typo, or they are counting Phenom II as "AM2 and AM3".

What I wonder is how that could save that much die space that they feel it's a good move.

Clockspeed is something Anandtech was guessing. We know nothing about that. And we don't know how much deeper the pipeline is.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Boris- View Post
    The AM2 part is probably a typo, or they are counting Phenom II as "AM2 and AM3".
    Or they dont have a clue ^^
    I explained it above what AM3+ probably is about .. only a new package, not a new socket (besides higher RAM clocks).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I explained it above what AM3+ probably is about .. only a new package, not a new socket (besides higher RAM clocks).
    You don't need to tell me what AM3+ is about.
    I think it's very unlikely that their knowledge about AM2/+ and AM3 is so limited that they honestly believe that an AM2 processor will work in AM3+.

Xtreme Mentor
    It must be something like that otherwise the AM3+ should be called AM4. More info is needed on the bulldozer and its socket, i did not see anything about it on anandtech.

Its very sad if bulldozer is not compatible with simple AM3 socket because it will force people to buy new mobos and force them to choose between Sandy bridge and Bulldozer.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict

Core 2 through nehalem (not sure about SB) has 3 ALU , 2 AGu, does it have less performance than K10? At this point, without more details I think it's hard to say if this is really an 'issue' or not. for single threaded performance
    Last edited by mAJORD; 08-24-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post

Core 2 through nehalem (not sure about SB) has 3 ALU , 2 AGu, does it have less performance than K10? At this point, without more details I think it's hard to say if this is really an 'issue' or not. for single threaded performance
    K8 and K10 arch could never reach the full potential of the 3-issue pipeline due to fundamental limitations. Bulldozer is simply streamlining the concept and optimizing other parts to gain efficiency -- i.e. more with less, relatively speaking.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
    K8 and K10 arch could never reach the full potential of the 3-issue pipeline due to fundamental limitations. Bulldozer is simply streamlining the concept and optimizing other parts to gain efficiency -- i.e. more with less, relatively speaking.
    Sorry, that was not me who said that , I misplaced the quote tag.. Fixed, and I agree

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast