Thread: Mushkin 998679 @ 2768Mhz - Dice Action W/ 6Ghz Inside - Personal PI Record

Xtreme Enthusiast

Mushkin 998679 @ 2768Mhz - Dice Action W/ 6Ghz Inside - Personal PI Record

In my quest to push Mushkin memory into the 3Ghz speed range I had a very short dry ice session this past weekend to familiarize myself with P55. I only had 10 pounds of dry ice, so I didn't get to run many tests this time around. I also did not freeze the memory this time around, that way my session would last longer and I would have a little more time to learn how P55 works.

Next round I will be freezing the memory!

Hardware Used for Session:
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD6 1156 Motherboard
    Intel i5-655K EX Dual-Core CPU
    Intel i7-875K ES Quad-Core CPU
    Mushkin Blackline 998679 6GB 1600Mhz (PC3-12800) 7-8-7-24 Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit Voltages used were 1.74-1.84, depending on what was being done.
    GIGABYTE 5870 SOC GV-R587SO-1GD 1GB Graphics Card
    Ultra X3 ULT40312 850W Power Supply

Bartx Custom 2.0kg Dry Ice / Ln2 Pot

I picked up a 655K to use in my quest because I found one at a killer price that couldn't be passed up, and just in case the 875K could not reach the Bclk necessary to reach 3Ghz memory speeds. Needless to say I was totally unaware of Clarkdale's memory limitations, so with this CPU I was left blind-sided - staring a 2140Mhz 898-24 validation when using the 655K. So in light of this I have decided that I should do a bit more reading next time around, with less anticipation of reaching 3Ghz, before blindly jumping into things!

However, I was able to reach some outstanding speeds using 2GB modules and a 875K, but the 3Ghz range is still just out of my reach. I believe this is due to the fact that 2GB modules have their limitations, that I believe I've now reached. I am currently checking into 1GB modules right now, then I believe 3Ghz will be a breeze for me to obtain.

Setup Insulated & Ready For the Freeze:

I was able to reach some astonishing speeds using the Mushkin 998679 2GB modules and a GA-P55A-UD6, pushing well past my previous record of 2713Mhz

2763.4Mhz Dual 9-12-11-31

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

2768.2Mhz Single 9-12-10-29

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

I was also able to reach into the 6Ghz range with the 655K, with very tight memory timings to boot! This is the first time I've ventured into the 6Ghz range, and the Mushkin modules stood up with great pride, remaining stable with very tight timings for the speeds used.

6Ghz - 2080Mhz @ 7-8-7-24

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

With these tight speeds being possible I knew I had a good chance at obtaining a high spot on the Overclock.net Super PI 1MB Top submissions thread. Drilling some of the more advanced timings down, and settling in at a modest 5.69Ghz CPU Speed, I was able to take second place in the top 10!

Super PI 7.328s @ 1964.8Mhz 7-8-7-24

Mushkin and Gigabyte take Second place for Super PI Submissions at OCN
    *OFFICIAL* SuperPi 1M Top Times - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

3Ghz is just around the corner, I can almost taste it!

I'm positive Mushkin and Gigabyte will take me there very soon!

Huge thanks to Mushkin and Gigabyte for making this possible!!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-24-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Grats Lsdmeasap, great runs, but I think a cpu tweaker ( for sub timings ) in the screenshots, would be very usefull :-)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks!

Ahh yes, I never thought of that, sorry!

No B2B action though, if that is what you were wondering about, it's disabled.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nicely done
    Congrats

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Realy Great 6Gig 2000 Mhz

Congrat Bro
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    AMD FX-8120
    ATI HD5750 Silent+ATI HD5770
    Kingston 1333 2*2GB
    GP1035B
    Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme

Sorry For My Great English

Xtreme Member
    Nice work

Xtreme Enthusiast
    congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good work, would be interesting to know what Voltage was used on the ram- btw. I donīt think that 2GB modules are a hurdle if you want to reach the 3GHz- it has been done before, biggest problems are usually the IMC and the ICs used

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sofos1990 View Post
    Nicely done
    Congrats
    Thanks! I often don't get to post into these extreme sections, but the 6ghz made me feel I had to

Quote Originally Posted by ViViD View Post
    Realy Great 6Gig 2000 Mhz

Congrat Bro
    Thanks, it's my 6Ghz cherry

Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    Nice work
    Thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time to stop in and comment!

Quote Originally Posted by jabski View Post
    congrats
    Thanks Jabski!

Quote Originally Posted by websmile View Post
    Good work, would be interesting to know what Voltage was used on the ram- btw. I donīt think that 2GB modules are a hurdle if you want to reach the 3GHz- it has been done before, biggest problems are usually the IMC and the ICs used
    Thanks for your comments! I meant to add that in, I guess I got into a hurry and forgot, I'll edit it in now.

Well I think these IC's might be close to thier limits then, I can only get around 2700 on X58 with these as well, even with the memory semi-diced. I'll have to try again with these frozen on P55, and freeze my Ridgeback's too and see if I can get any closer. I think I might have a problem with this 875K's IMC though, seems this ES wont allow higher voltages to be set in the BIOS or Windows, so using Vcore or Vtt above a certain amount just fails. So you may be right, and it may be all about the IMC here, or it could just be the IC's, not really sure but I know I am very voltage limited with the CPU.