Thread: Need help ocing GTX 460 Gigabyte

Need help ocing GTX 460 Gigabyte

Hi, I nearly forgot I registered here because it took so long for my account to be activated!!!!!

Anyway, I'm trying to overclock my GTX460 it's a Gigabyte with a new unlocked bios etc.

Besides that, it seems my memory starts to get little yellow dots in ati-tool any clock really over 1900 mhz. I'm wondering if it's the vram. If I bought some vram heatsinks would this help the problem I'm experiencing? I noticed the yellow dots seem to only appear after a certain temperature celsius is reached. Say I can reach like 2100 no problems then I hit 60*C and blam!!!! Dots. So, I'm guessing the increased clock is increasing heat to the vram chips.

I had a 90mm fan between my HDD's which helped somewhat, but...... I ended up cracking it while cleaning my case today.

Some side notes......my room reaches about 78*F with humidity.. so it should be cooling off. (Live on the 2nd floor).

But ya, as I said!

Some of you may recognize my name from Overclock.net. I'm there as well.

I used to belong to [H] until one day........ I "vanished", but we'll leave that behind.

Anyway I appreciate all help in advance! :p
    Q6600 @ 3.6
    Abit IP35 Pro
    6GB DDR2 800 Crucial BallistiX
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    500GB SAMSUNG OS Drive
    750GGB Hitachi Storage Drive

I have the same cards , if you look in the GTX460 Database thats a few threads down you should see everyones OC on the cards..
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    I have the same cards , if you look in the GTX460 Database thats a few threads down you should see everyones OC on the cards..
    I did, but..... I'm questioning stability.

How do yours do?
    Q6600 @ 3.6
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    500GB SAMSUNG OS Drive

Xtreme Legend
    sounds a bit low for vrem clock. It may be that the bios you flashed it with is causing this?!?

ive got a non-reference gbt card which seems to be ok with ram running at 2250 but i dont know if its because they put better modules in them or not
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Mentor
    Overclocking on the 460s seems to be very random, and different across each card. Some can reach really high clocks on the GPU and ram (900 Mhz+, and 4400 Mhx+), but most of them wont manage this much.

For the custom cooled Gigabyte / Asus / MSI ones, I really thought that they would all manage 850 / 4000 (2000 Mhz ram in afterburner), but now it seems that we have a gigabyte that cant manage that much on the ram.

Thats the reason why I can only recommend getting the MSI / Gigabyte / Asus models as those are having the best chance of reaching 850 / 4000 clocks, and even higher.

Now one thing that helped on my MSIs that might work for you - thwy have a great GPU cooler, but no ram or VRM cooling. I were managing to max them at 875 / 4200 before, and began seeing lots of artifacts over 890 Mhz. However, I just tried using some Enzotech Copper VRM heatsinks on the VRM chips, and I started Vantage off with the cards clocked to 900 / 4200. They were still artifacting, however they had far less than they had before, so I canceled furmark and am looking up if I can find better VRM cooling for them now.

if you can, I would suggest trying to get the VRM chips cooled if they are bare on your card, however note that you would need to use low profile sinks on the Gigabyte as the cooler spans the whole length of the card.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    sounds a bit low for vrem clock. It may be that the bios you flashed it with is causing this?!?
    Yea, the Gigabyte really should be managing much higher and be on par with the MSI / Asus cards at the least. Im going to try overclocking the ram on mine some more now to see if the VRM sinks helped.
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-22-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Xtreme Member
    yeah artifacting on screen is usually vmem related
    aftermarket cooling will really help
    80mm+ fan on top of mosfets with some enzo copper sinks might help a bit until someone comes out with better mosfet cooling
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

Xtreme Mentor
    Yea unfortunately theres no better mofset cooling yet. The Enzotechs will allow an extra 10-15 Mhz on the GPU, but tahts about it. I'll try using my spotcool fan later to see if that helps.

I'm a little sad and confused.. what should I do? You think it's the bios?

I flashed to this bios due to the fan unlock + voltage unlock.

Should I get some enzotech heatsinks?
    Last edited by Pr0pheT; 08-22-2010 at 11:59 PM.
    Q6600 @ 3.6
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    500GB SAMSUNG OS Drive

Well i ran my core at 880 stable and ran vantage easily i could try bumping up more ram on it, i did it before with higher ram and it ran fine. I need to flash the bios and then bump up the voltage to hit over 900mhz on core, but im rmaing these cards and got new ones coming in that i can put under water
    HEATWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    Well i ran my core at 880 stable and ran vantage easily i could try bumping up more ram on it, i did it before with higher ram and it ran fine. I need to flash the bios and then bump up the voltage to hit over 900mhz on core, but im rmaing these cards and got new ones coming in that i can put under water
    Duder...... you're hijacking my thread.....
    Q6600 @ 3.6
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Gigabyte GTX 460
    500GB SAMSUNG OS Drive

LOL no im not.. I have the same cards as you man, trying to help ya out!! ...
    HEATWARE

Xtreme Member
    Do not bother too much with memory and prefer to go to a higher GPU clock. It is obvious that memory can not Oc more and it's not a big loss in performance.
    I had a similar situation with the GTX 470, but after setting the Spitfire and the 80mm vent above the VRM thing works much better. 920mhz is a limit before and now it's 1015.
    Core i7 950@4.0 Ghz, 1.180v, Venomus X
    Gigabyte x58 ud3r, 6gb Mushkin XP3, Kingston V+ "325" 64gb + WD Black 750gb
    GTX 470, TR Spitfire, 800/1900 + MSI GTX 470 Twin Frozr II 800/1900
    Corsair HX850

^^^ just what he said.
    HEATWARE