Thread: Benching Chiller

Benching Chiller

Hey all. After "showcasing" my system at quakecon, it is time to move on with this chiller setup.

As intended from the start, it is a "holy crap it works!" prototype and is thus now my dedicated chiller-bencher.

These are from the first run with it.

I have since made some modifications to the insulation around the block and at the pump, but the rest stayed the same.

I have more pics on the way from a local LAN yesterday, we got 2 volunteers to use the chiller.

Xtreme Member
    Hey Underdog,

That chiller is looking great! I'm guessing you have chopped the standard evaporator off and have go for a corkscrew style one instead to make it more compact, right? I have to say the insulation on your pipework looks very good and nice and thick. although around the cpu it doesnt look like the board is portected much, is that why you modified your insulation around the block? Have a hammer and sickle on there does it mean you have some form of soviet name for your system? Of course I have to ask too what the temps are like and are you building a case for it as a next step to make it more LAN friendly?

Looking forward to the new pics coming

James

Haha no I am american, but the biggest influence and help on my work is a crazy russian

The board has kneadable eraser and 2 layers of foam. Because of the Apogee GT block and holddown plate design I am limited in how I insulate the motherboard. A modification I made to the block is that I wrapped some shop towels around the block head and wrapped it again in the black foam.

New pics are on the way, I took them on a bud's camera and they have to go to the webmaster of the Lan site first.

Xtreme Member
    Haha ok, looking forward to seeing more! Yep the insulation sounds good too. So what are your temps like, I can see the idle temps but what about load and unloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Haha ok, looking forward to seeing more! Yep the insulation sounds good too. So what are your temps like, I can see the idle temps but what about load and unloaded?
    That particular run was loaded at around 12C max, unloaded 1-2C
    Overclocking and freezing-things noob.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the temps So whats your next move? building a case around it and enjoying it for a while or itching for more lol?

No case! xD

It's prob gonna stay dedicated benching chiller, and I will be moving onto something else. I have another AC ripped apart already, I wanna build a direct die with that one. Always itching

I broke all of my pictures, sorry guys. Will try to edit my post when I have time.

I broke my pump. Who would have thought that the ONLY thing holding the innards of a D5 pump together is a tiny little 3 pin solder point?

So the entire build is on hold for right now.

BUT!!!!

I did get some work done on revising the chiller. I wanted to eliminate some inefficiencies I ran into with my previous build.

Without further adieu, Deathchiller 2.1

I haven't gotten around to really cleaning it up yet obviously, but mostly because I want to liquid leak test it before I dive into that.

inb4 cascade exchanger =] That's where I got the idea. I know other people have done this before me, it's not my 'original idea' by any means, I just figured this would eliminate the air bubble problems I was having in my previous rendition.