Thread: Dell Studio 17 overheating. Help with fix.

Question Dell Studio 17 overheating. Help with fix.

Hello everyone,

I use a two-year-old Dell Studio 1735 laptop. It used to run fine, but it's been overheating more and more over the past year. Now it's sometimes unusable.

Of course I updated BIOS, sprayed some air and use it on the appropriate surface. I even have a cooling pad which makes no difference in the frequency of overheats. Overheats being instant shutdowns.

My next guess is that the heatsink needs to be reseated, but I know nothing of a laptop's inside layout. I've been looking for a guide on how to open it up safely.
    EDIT: And ironically found it right after I posted this. Right on Dell's page, how did I miss this?

Do you have any tips of information about the situation?

Thanks!

Also, one place that seems to be the hottest (when I play and touch the bottom of the laptop) is the area near the RAM and southbridge, inside.
    EDIT: I used Everest to test FPU Stress, it lasted 2 seconds and overheated. CPU Test lasted and was stable.
    Last edited by Jaghat; 08-21-2010 at 05:14 PM.

What did you use to clean the vents? did you go the whole length of the vent? Which direction did you blow it (in the intake or in the exhaust)?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I used a can of compressed air. I sent the air from inside (removed the bottom panel of the laptop) and tried to push the dust out to the best of my abilities. I didn't put that much thought into it, unfortunately, except for what I guessed was common sense.