Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Skinnee Labs] The Pump thread...

Xtreme Member
    Skinnee,
    If you get time, and you think it is worth showing, could you test a couple of Jingway 1200s in serial please?
    I am just curious to see how they scale.

ASUS Rampage II Ex 1504
    Intel i7 920 D0 3850A795
    Sapphire HD5970 EK FC 1Ghz/1150Mhz 1.237v
    OS Intel X25-M RAID0
    Data 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32Mb
    OCZ Reaper 6GB/1800/C8
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
    1X 18w DDC3.2 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X 18w DDC3.25 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X XSPC Submersible Pump/Res w/RS120mm
    HW Labs GTX480 4x120mm
    TFC Monsta 6x140mm
    EK Supreme LT 3/8" Feser Tubing
    EK IOH/SB and Mosfet Blocks
    Lian Li V2110 w/EX-34
    26" Iiyama Prolite

Never go full retard
    RD-30... check.

Jingway's in serial... I'll see what I can do.

Noise testing... negative. The lab is right next to the mechanical room in the house, noise isolation for testing is not going to happen.

Flow's impact to temps... we have something in mind already.

We're going to be splitting up the flow rate charts as more pumps get added, the charts will be just too damn big over time. So we'll have focused ones for each pump type, and then a compiled where we take the top X and bring them together, and stock top tests are in progress.

Are those Eheim/Aquastream pumps still sold here in the US?

edit: Oh yeah, compiled PQ is being added to the OP so Petra's panda cheers up.
    Last edited by skinnee; 08-21-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: PQ and Pandas

I am Xtreme
    Um, what plate was used on the Supreme?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Never go full retard
    Plate 4, when we were standing in the lab working this all out, we wanted an medium restriction SLI loop and a low restriction CPU loop.

Actually, P4 was still in there from pressure drop testing and it was just looped up without a thought.
    Last edited by skinnee; 08-21-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I'd be quite curious about the DP1200 scaling too. Wondering whether it's better to add another DP1200 or replace the current one with an MCP355 - the cost would be about the same.

Xtreme Guru
    HF is already least restrictive from current top blocks even with most restrictive plate #1, i hope it won't result in bunch of foul cries about underperforming pumps compared to your results with just about any other top block (including HF with plate #1). Probably it's worth to at least note in loop description alongside block type, which jet plate is used in it.

Never go full retard
    CPU flow rate chart label updated, now states "P4". SLI label typo fixed. Added PQ from DDC3.2's to the OP.
    Last edited by skinnee; 08-21-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Are those Eheim/Aquastream pumps still sold here in the US?

edit: Oh yeah, compiled PQ is being added to the OP so Petra's panda cheers up.
    Yah, ppcs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What's the difference between:
    2x EK V2 (D-Plug)
    EK Turbo
    EK Dual V2
    ?

Also, my crappy TN flatscreen here at work wont make any difference between subtle shades of blue. Would help a lot if you used different dots (instead of just diamond shaped ones) on those multiple charts

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Guru
    thanks heaps mate!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    What's the difference between:
    2x EK V2 (D-Plug)
    EK Turbo
    EK Dual V2
    ?
    EK Turbo is the first generation dual ddc top from EK, Dual V2 is the 2nd gen or latest one. 2x EK V2 (D-Plug) is two EK V2 single tops connected via a D-Plug.

Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    Also, my crappy TN flatscreen here at work wont make any difference between subtle shades of blue. Would help a lot if you used different dots (instead of just diamond shaped ones) on those multiple charts
    It is not an easy task dealing with all the dots and trendlines... select 14 different colors that you can differentiate from each other when all crammed into 60 pixels, friggin sucks is what it is. Better flat panel in your future?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Hmm, it would be nice to see iwaki among results aswell. Not that i'm interested in ever buying/using it, but to be able to compare it to other pumps (eg. Dual DDCs) and to have some test to point to when someone asks about RDs. +DDC 3.1(5), as also frequently used pump. +noise testing. Also while EK Supreme HF is very fine (especially flow resistance wise) cpu block, imho it would be nice to see some more resistive block (and same for DD's fullcovers in SLI test. They are very unresistive relative to common modern blocks by other vendors). = imho should result in more "common loop setups"/more useful/aplicable to average LC builds data.
    Yeah, I am running an Iwaki MD-20RZ and would love to see how it stacks up against the modern competition. At guess at this point you could call it an old favorite.

Xtreme Member

Safe to use MCP655?

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I can tell you that Tygon is NOT, I repeat NOT capable of handling household 50-80 psi water pressure..

I tried that once...luckily outside.. Think water balloon followed by my face receiving a good lesson learned.

I've also heard at least one story of someone damaging a radiator using household water pressure to flush it, so household pressure is WAY too much.

I believe Tygon 3603 is rated at 74F:
    http://www.tygon.com/uploadedFiles/S...Lab-Tubing.pdf

7/16"x5/8" = 20psi Max
    1/2"x3/4" = 25psi Max
    1/2"x5/8" = 10psi Max..
    3/8"x1/2" = 20psi Max

You obviously at least want thick walled tubing.

In operation, double DDCs likely won't subject the system to more than about 11psi, triples maybe 17psi, RD-30 maybe 14psi.

In practice I think it's been common enough to see dual DDCs that they are relatively tested to a comfort level, but triples are pretty new and not tested a whole bunch.

We don't know about the pressure rating on most parts so it's anybody's guess on that? Perhaps the manufacturers can start posting pressure specs??

Regardless, I suspect the weak point is the fitting/barb pull out on the tubing, especially anything that's been removed/put back together, and particularly with some compression fittings that have small barbs. A 1/2" tube at 17psi is receiving about a 3.5 lb normal force trying to pull the tubing off the barb. I'd be a little uncomfortable with that sort of pressure unless I had a standard barb and worm drive clamp.

I was reading the specs of my Swiftec MCP655 Variable Speed pump and its rated at 50 psi max. I'm using Tygon 7/16 with compression fittings and so far so good at max speed setting on the pump. Should I dial that down a notch or am I going to bust a fitting eventually?

Thanks.
    Motherboard: EVGA Classified 759
    CPU: Intel 920 D0 2.66 @ 3.8ghz
    Ram: 6gb 1600 DDR3 7-7-7-20 Corsair Dominators
    PSU: PC Power Cooling 1200 ESA
    Audio: SB X-Fi Titanium
    Video: Trifire XFX 6970
    Harddrives: WD3000HLFSx2+ OCZ 120G Vertex SSD
    Cooling: HK 3.0 - XPSC360 Rad - MCP655 pump

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
    I was reading the specs of my Swiftec MCP655 Variable Speed pump and its rated at 50 psi max. I'm using Tygon 7/16 with compression fittings and so far so good at max speed setting on the pump. Should I dial that down a notch or am I going to bust a fitting eventually?

Thanks.
    They are rated to withstand 50PSI, not generate 50PSI. Those pumps aren't capable of generating more than 15-20PSI pressure.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yeah, no worries. The max head a D5 is capable of is under 6psi.
    http://skinneelabs.com/d5-tops.html

Ive never heard of anyone breaking fitting or busting tubing yet either with normal wc pumps. You'll have tubes pull off of or out of fittings first.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Yeah, no worries. The max head a D5 is capable of is under 6psi.
    http://skinneelabs.com/d5-tops.html

Ive never heard of anyone breaking fitting or busting tubing yet either with normal wc pumps. You'll have tubes pull off of or out of fittings first.
    Unless you try to take the hydraulic pump off a construction site digger and use it for water cooling

Never go full retard
    Adding more pumps/tops has been a little slow... we've hit the D5 portion.

I curse you 5 speed settings!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    No PQ curves in the thread, available via link only?

Sad panda is sad.

Don't bother changing it on my account... I'm probably the only one who cares.
    OT, I was playing Urban Terror last night, and there was a Sad Panda playing. Was that you, perchance?

*in progress*
    AMD FX-8350
    Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
    2X8GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 C10
    2X Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X
    D5|EK Res/top|2X Swiftech MCR320XP|EK Supremacy CPU|2X EK 290X Acetal Nickel
    Seasonic M12D 850w
    Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    T-Balancer MiniNG
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My last intel cpu was a celeron 300a. My first computer was a TI-99/4!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    great work.
    thanks!
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

@SKINNEE : Can u add Sanso pdh 054 to your pump list? It is an excellent and cheap(for its performance ) pump. i opened a thread on it and there are some interesting data, go to check and see if it is interesting to you too...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Could we possibly get single pump setups in one graph only please

Xtreme Member
    I would love to see tests of the EK-DCP 2.2 and EK-DCP 4.0 pumps (Phobya DC12-260/Phobya DC12-400), they are so much cheaper than the Laing ones!
    But are they copies of the Jingway DP-600/DP-1200 pumps? Seems like it, but from photos on google they are not identical, at least.

Xtreme Guru
    And i would love to see tests of new tops/restops for D5 by DD. Judging by looks, they might apear in many builds in future, when they soon gonna be released.

Xtreme Member

Flow rate best results

Morning All ,

Wondering if you guys know which speed setting on the mcp655 variable produces the best temps on a heat killer with a xpsc rx360 low fpi rad with medium speed fans such as the enermax magmas at 69cfm 1.4 mmh2o static pressure?

Saw some graphs on the skinnee labs site that was confusing. First two showed that highest gpm setting produced lowest temps and the last two I think showed that with medium fans 2-3 gpm medium flow rate worked best?

Thanks.
    Motherboard: EVGA Classified 759
    CPU: Intel 920 D0 2.66 @ 3.8ghz
    Ram: 6gb 1600 DDR3 7-7-7-20 Corsair Dominators
    PSU: PC Power Cooling 1200 ESA
    Audio: SB X-Fi Titanium
    Video: Trifire XFX 6970
    Harddrives: WD3000HLFSx2+ OCZ 120G Vertex SSD
    Cooling: HK 3.0 - XPSC360 Rad - MCP655 pump

Xtreme Guru
    I doubt you getting more then 2.5-3gpm with your D5/mcp655 pump flow even on 5th/highest speed setting. Most probably flow will be 1.5-2gpm. More flow = more turbulence = a bit better cooling, but with more flow you start getting diminishing returns in temps/actual cooling. 1gpm is good, 1.5gpm a tiny bit better, 2gpm and even more - almost no gain at all (and in some cases with small/inadequate rad area even worse cooling because of increased pump heatload). For enhancing cooling/better temps, bigger rads always > then more flow. No need to concentrate on pump/coolant flow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast