Thread: new to the cooling of liquid

Xtreme Member

new to the cooling of liquid

hi, as the title showed i am some what new to the liquid cooling setup, got a few quick question

i been doing some reading and searching, didn't seem to find the clear answer to some of my special questions...

what is the biggest diff between PT.NUKE and Silver?
    i am looking for a long term usage and i been told Silver is great, and PT.Nuke is very easy to use/install but comes to if i want to use the rig for 6month with out changing anything what should i pick?

if i use silver just happen to have some on hand do i have to switch out the silver ever?

Xtreme Member
    No difference really, both work. Silver is easiest for me, since even when I drain the loop I don't have to do anything with the silver, I just leave it in the res.

Xtreme Guru
    Some even use both combined, by reasoning that something like "silver good for long term use, but for silver ion concentration buildup time is needed, so at the beginning right after filling biocide does the work". I caution though that however you use biocide, standalone or with silver, don't overdose it.

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the info

JoeM
    Silver is a bit of a "natural" biocide - keeps the gunk from growing in your loop. PT Nuke is an alternative biocide additive. With either of them, pay attention to the fine print. Biocides don't typically play well with each other when combined (though silver + PT might work - dunno on that one). Also, neither one has any anti-corrosive properties. Many times when you see people using PT Nuke for a biocide, they also add a bit of pentosin for anti-corrosion, primarily because the two complement each other well and keep the pH stable. It's really just two different setups. Silver coil + distilled = natural biocide and a minimum amount of electrical conductivity from the water. PT Nuke + anti-corrosive (i.e. pentosin) = strong biocide with an added corrosion deterrent because you increase the electrical conductivity of the water a bit with the additives. As wondergod said, either way works, but silver is just easier.

Xtreme Member
    wow! very in depth answer thank you very much!

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Welcome to the dark side of liquid cooling. Muhuhuhuahahah!!!

Xtreme Member
    lol thanks mr.OCM

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Now get yourself an avatar. Your all naked without one

Xtreme Member
    Seems like i have ran into an issue...
    I have both nickel plating and pure cooper facing in the rig, what kind pt nuke and tubing should I use here?

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/peptcobi1.html
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/peptpcobi1.html

or should I just stay with Silver?
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sikibyia.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    silver + distilled is what I'd recommend for beginners (and lazy people like myself). get used to building a loop or two before adding one more thing to calculate.

as for tubing, primoflex has been my go-to. it depends on what you're looking for exactly in a tubing. do you want really clear, or colored, or solid white or black, or copper, or what?

nickel plating and copper play nice together, with silver, too.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member
    CPU D-Tech Fuzion unsure the version with stander nozzle
    GPU Swiftech MCW82 with plastic nozzle
    Pump Swiftech MCP-655 no nozzle needed
    Res Swiftech MCRES-Micro with plastic nozzle
    Rad Swiftech MCR-360 with stander nozzle
    Chipset Koolance CHC-122 with 1/4'' threaded
    Motherboard Koolance MVR-100 with 1/4'' threaded

All nozzle are 1/2''s
    Going to stick with Primochill or Tygon for tubings

Setup:
    Asus P5K-E WIFI (only south bridge going to be air cooled)
    EVGA 8800GT
    Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ ????MHz (aiming for 3800/4000MHz+)
    2 sets of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX should be here any day now from RMA

Xtreme Member
    ok this could be the BEST or THE WORST idea i have ever came up with......

so been thinking want a easy way out i'd be more than happy to get my driller out and poke some holes but before that i got some magnet from the HDDs and i can just use those magnet to hold it to the case cuz they are EXTREMELY strong and i remember i have alot of them some where in the house what do you guys think?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    magnets near electronics? sounds like a recipe for disaster. sure, it's possible depending on how close the magnets are, and depending on the suceptibility of the circuit it's near, but still, not something I would mess with.

I'd laugh if you ended up with an aluminum case, because then it wouldn't even stick.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

If your goal is to wipe your hard drives then a magnet is a good idea, otherwise probably not

Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    magnets near electronics? sounds like a recipe for disaster. sure, it's possible depending on how close the magnets are, and depending on the suceptibility of the circuit it's near, but still, not something I would mess with.

I'd laugh if you ended up with an aluminum case, because then it wouldn't even stick.
    modern electronics (other than sound cards when using DACs and analogue out) wont be effected by magnets and im assuming that he is not sticking the magnets on the electronics and just on the rad, so it may work.

Quote Originally Posted by ino View Post
    If your goal is to wipe your hard drives then a magnet is a good idea, otherwise probably not
    unless u stick a magnet on the HDD it wont kill it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    The radiator is copper and brass. So magnets won't stick. Besides then you would have to somehow mount the magnets to the stuff.

Great dream, try it someday, for now, just focus on not ruining a mobo, PSU etc with silly watercooling noob mistakes.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    oh i forgot to tell y'all....
    my hdd is not in the case it's in it's own little cage too
    but i decided not to use magnets (<- those are the ones came out of the HDD they are super strong and thin you can just slide them in to the back of the screw bracket and it'll hold there with no prob and my case is FULL steel so yes magnets will stick tbh the only thing you may have to worry about is they may not coming off your case)

i am going to homedepot and getting some stuff to build myself a sliding rail like most peopl's HDD holder in there computer
    i'll try post some pix when i get my camera back

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    wating for pictures..... ... .. .... ... .. ..... . .. ... . ..... . .

Xtreme Member
    working on it! >.< bestbuy havn't got me a new one yet