Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking in the context of competition

Xtreme Member
    I'm with you there desnudopenguino. I'm currently waiting for some older hardware to arrive to bench. I'm doing it because there are tons of cpu's foe me to test and they are really cheap! . I'm not too bothered about graphics because I'm focusing on 2D benching. I'm even thinking of going all the way back to do some socket A barton benching lol. I do feel a little disapointed because just say on socket 939 I overclock a Opteron 144 to a massive 3.5ghz say, that because its old hardware it wont be considered as good/interesting as someone getting a 6ghz I7 for example. Even though in terms of skill they are the same difficulty. It will never happen but I think doing something like that should really get the same amount of point on HWBOT as the latest hardware. i think the points should go off how hard/difficult the OC was not how modern the hardware is. Although rightly the latest hardware would always be more popular. But it would give the talented but less fortunate monetry wish a chance to get the big points too!

BTW I think even though its for profit that when a legend brings out a product like K|ngp|n's F1 its great because his hours of reseach have gone in to his containers and they are the ones he himself uses. So cooling wise he has given the best level playing field possible

James

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I overclock a Opteron 144 to a massive 3.5ghz say, that because its old hardware it wont be considered as good/interesting as someone getting a 6ghz I7 for example. Even though in terms of skill they are the same difficulty. It will never happen but I think doing something like that should really get the same amount of point on HWBOT as the latest hardware. i think the points should go off how hard/difficult the OC was not how modern the hardware is.
    I disagree.... not on a personal level but because of the variables.

On a cherry chip, is it that difficult? Is the achievement in a popular category where there are lots of other results to compare to, to guage the skill? How does the skill level compare to getting 3.2GHz out of a really crappy batch?

Do good results ever come from bad chips? Or are they classed as good-for-the-crap-batch/chip? ....Does anyone care about those? "Hey... nice work on your 3.2GHz, but someone else has 3.4GHz!"

Only way to judge it is to let a bunch of guys play with the same chip and see who does best, without the others looking over their shoulder... and we all know the chip will degrade eventually.

We get good chips, or we dont. Good chips make us look good. Bad chips have no effect... we quietly sell them and get better ones.

Not an attack on you or your bench approach.... just stating how I believe "it" works
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    If you want bad chips Kenny, you know who you can call and rely on
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Hey K404,

lol well if we all agreed on the same things then the forums would be pretty boring . See in my view the older hardware was the latest hottest must have at one point and everyone was benching them so really there should have been just as much competition in those categories as with the latest hardware. Ok on some things they were a dog when they came out so there is less competition but people realise this and are benching them now to gain some points. See in my opinion if I got the highest CPUZ for an fx-51 that would be just as difficult as getting the highest CPUZ on the latest 980x.

I think we agree on the hardware though. If you by luck say get a golden chip that runs alot cooler, scales better with voltage or just clocks a lot higher then you have a big advantage over someone with an average chip or someone with a dog. This is where certain people get the advantage they have a lot of pressure to perform and get big results but to get a tray of cherry picked cpus and then to cherry pick the best out of that group. Well the advantage is gigantic. Thats why I think people with this advantage should have their own league. IMO a pro league with overclocking event and maybe some sort of season and league table with possible prize money would be a great future for overclocking!! Of course with some sort of system for non league overclockers to join by some sort of qualification. i dont know its just where I see the 'sport' going and for me it sounds good. But for now with ES chips and cherrypicking I believe a separate league would be the best way to go

James

Xtreme Member
    There are undoubtedly different levels of competition, but they blend together, we cannot separate between someone who will buy and sell chips with little to no loss, as a means by which to find the "right" chip, or the person who ordered a tray of CPUs or was given 10 trays of CPUs...
    Clock it up, have a good time, and have a good time
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it is all about?

Xtreme Member
    Hmmm...seems like overclocking/benching is no different than life in general.

Success is the product of skill and luck.

Skill is the the product of hard work, time, inclination, natural aptitude and perseverence.

Luck can be pure random chance. But it can also be manifested as the ability to turn opportunity into success.

What did your parents say when you complained that something wasn't fair?

They said, "Life isn't fair. Get used to it."

-People will get better grades than you because they know how to tailor their writing to their English teacher's political ideology.
    -People will get promoted over you because their Dad plays golf with your boss.
    -People will pull right into a cherry parking space right from the street when a car you just passed happens to pull out. Even if you've been driving around the parking lot for an hour.

Suck it up guys.

Sometimes manufacturers host invite only overclocking parties and call them "open qualifying" competitions. So what? They can say and do what they want within the bounds of the law.

You can say and do whatever you want within the bounds of the law, too. Of course, we all know that doing so will sometimes get you punched in the face.

It's funny how manufacturers and their minions seem surprised when they get punched in the face.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Hey K404,

lol well if we all agreed on the same things then the forums would be pretty boring . See in my view the older hardware was the latest hottest must have at one point and everyone was benching them so really there should have been just as much competition in those categories as with the latest hardware.

True s939, 478 etc is left out a bit because "their time" was before HWB really picked up. Nowadays, everything worth using gets thousands of submissions... whoever picks up the GTX480 for £100 in the future will get more points for their work because of the groundwork done now..... assuming the points algorithm doesnt change again
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Legend
    overclocking is similar to school in a way. You learn and apply knowledge. You seem to be asking or trying to understand what time frame would a person with average intelligence need to shoot up to pro status.......I'd say 2 months of intense every day learning and training would get you up the top with 95% of the pros covered. I am assuming that the person would have a teacher (experienced OCer) by their side.

I still think that given unlimited resources and time you would still need guys with high level of intelligence to match or beat the best of the best. Some skills also cannot be taught quickly > electical engineering etc so that would hinder a lot of people (extend the time further) from say trying to match someone like Peter 1 on 1
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

approaching aphelion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Is that you? That's my description of the "newbie" in my scenarios. In other words, someone who has never overclocked before, and no experience with extreme cooling etc.
    Me...
    Best Regards,
    Xavier

"I prefer to fly alone... when alone, I perform those little coups of audacity which amuse me..." Col. René Fonck (1894-1953), the Ace of Aces.

To be honest I don't really like how competitions are held nowadays. The only way I can see real overclocking coming into play is if manufacturers handed overclockers un-released hardware and a time frame to post their best results. The issue with this is manufacturer's wouldn't make much money from that. With this model of competition I believe real skill comes into place because you don't know the hardware and there's no research you can do on it. You're left to experimenting and finding the best settings.

Brilliant Idiot
    Here's another funny perspective i see.

THE POST

Only .00000001 liters and .0001 seconds to get XXXXX results.....

THE REALITY

Albeit somewhat exxagerated I think you get the point
    Last edited by chew*; 09-12-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12