Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking in the context of competition

Admin

Overclocking in the context of competition

We've been seeing such discussions raging across enthusiast forums for a while now. Plenty of people try to assert that overclocking takes no skill, and that anyone with the right hardware can get the score. On the flip side, I very frequently see analogies to F1 racing being drawn.

However, I think both extremes are flawed. For starters, it's inherently wrong to compare it to F1, since one's physical strength, motor skills and reflexes aren't a factor. In fact, for this reason you can't really properly compare it to online gaming either. At the end of the day, it is just the electrical signals generating the score. It should be easy for everyone to agree that running 10 miles a day, lifting weights and going to a shooting range daily won't improve your benchmark scores.

So where does that leave us? Is it just the hardware producing the scores? If you put a blu-ray disc into a player, and someone else puts the same disc into the same player, you get the same movie each time. In theory, the same should be true with computer hardware. You give two people identical hardware and tell them to produce the highest score in your favorite benchmark, aided with unlimited cooling of their choice, and give them 6 hours to do so. Will the resulting scores be identical?

People will no doubt argue over how much of a difference they'd expect there to be between the two scores, or if there would even be one, and also argue over what the causes for the difference are. At the least, assuming all other factors are removed, it is a level of human interaction that causes the difference. The two individuals do certain things differently, even though the hardware is the same.

Let's suppose that one of the individuals is someone who only has a basic knowledge of how to put a computer together, and that the other individual is one of the known legendary experts in this particular benchmark, and has held the WR multiple times over the course of many years. In this scenario, it should be easy to agree that the seasoned bencher will produce the higher score.

The expected outcome would be much less clear if we were to take one known legendary bencher from country A, and another from country B. Both benchers have been in the game for years, and both of them have held the WR many times.

Who would come back with the higher score? And what will the margin of the difference be? And why would the higher scorer be the higher scorer?

Making things a bit more interesting, revisit the first scenario, except give both the seasoned bencher and the newbie unlimited time. Also assume that their hardware is unbreakable and won't degrade. (We can dream) The newbie could sit there for a decade trying to produce the highest score possible if they desired, however the amount of time they spend is up to them, and even though the hardware is magical, they're only human, with all implications. In this case, is it clear who the victor would be?

What if the newbie had the magical unbreakable hardware along with a full month, but the seasoned overclocker still had only 6 hours, and the hardware was normal and mortal? Who would produce the higher score, and what would the outcome show? Would the winner be the most "skilled"?

What period of time would the newbie need to match the legend's score? Would a month be far too little, or far too much? Would they need years, or only hours? Or would it vary person to person?

What if two newbies were given unlimited time and unbreakable hardware? Would they each produce similar scores, or would you expect that one would end up higher by a significant margin than the other? Would you consider the one producing the highest score more "skilled"? What if they were each given only an hour?

And finally, would the answers change based on the benchmark and hardware in question?

I can say one thing for sure. More likely than not, everyone reading this thread will have their own unique answers to each of the questions above. Not only that, everyone likely has unique scenarios in mind with regards to the benchmark and hardware. I was originally planning to write more in this post, but I think I will hold off and wait for responses. This was my basic thought process in asking myself how overclocking can be competitive, if at all. For the time being, I wish to only present this with as little of my own personal prejudices as possible.

I am Xtreme
    i'm a noob or newbie compared to you guys

thanks for pointing that out

Admin
    Let's suppose that one of the individuals is someone who only has a basic knowledge of how to put a computer together
    Is that you? That's my description of the "newbie" in my scenarios. In other words, someone who has never overclocked before, and no experience with extreme cooling etc.

I am Xtreme
    here's some notes i have...

1. in an overclocking competition... everybody knows how to overclock. no newbie there. ((((( OH YEAH ING OPEN COMP SHOULD HAVE A ING QUALIFIER....anybody going there should have qualified )))))

2. in a live overclocking competition..like moa 2010...(is mikeG joining you? ) everybody is equal...same hw..same time limit. you can't call your opponents newbies. a little respect goes a long way. you might even have good partnerships with other overclockers.

most of your scenarios ...well you seem to categorize overclockers in a certain comp. newbie legend newbie legend.... whats the point? every month we should welcome the newbie...train the guy/girl...and have him/her compete...

Wpprriimmee crrraaazzzyyy
    Thought provoking post Gautam.

I think the answer to your question whether 1 month is long enough or not for the inexperienced guy to have a chance to beat the experienced one would be it depends. (Of course ) For one thing, would the beginner have internet access? If so they can learn most anything they need to know in a month on a place like XS.
    Depends on how much they want to do it and spend their time learning as well.

Overclocking is definitely a different type of sport than Drag Racing and can only be compared to it to a certain extent.
    Last edited by Linuxfan; 08-20-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    Heatware

Custom SS unit by Gray Mole, Sdumper Cascade, K|ngp|n F1 Gemnni, TEK9 Fatboy, TEK9 Slim, NB-1, H2O stuff...
    Celeron 347, Celeron 356, Celeron 420, 2x P4 631, P4 670, P4 640, P4 651, P4 524, PD 915, P4 540J, 2x P4 530J, P4 520J Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2-8500 2x Asus REX X48, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.0, Asus Commando P965,
    Stuff I used to have:
    Asus RIIIE X58, Evga Classified P55, Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, i5 670, E8600, Q9650, Q9550, , 3x2GB Mushkin Redline 2000C8,, G.Skill 2x2GB PC9600(Silver), Evga Evbot
    XFX 4770 modded, XFX 7950GT, XFX 6600GT, Evga 8600GTS 512MB, 3850 OC, 4x 3870s, and X600

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - James Stewart

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    here's some notes i have...

1. in an overclocking competition... everybody knows how to overclock. no newbie there. ((((( OH YEAH ING OPEN COMP SHOULD HAVE A ING QUALIFIER....anybody going there should have qualified )))))

2. in a live overclocking competition..like moa 2010...(is mikeG joining you? ) everybody is equal...same hw..same time limit. you can't call your opponents newbies. a little respect goes a long way. you might even have good partnerships with other overclockers.

most of your scenarios ...well you seem to categorize overclockers in a certain comp. newbie legend newbie legend.... whats the point? every month we should welcome the newbie...train the guy/girl...and have him/her compete...
    Making things a bit more interesting, revisit the first scenario, except give both the seasoned bencher and the newbie unlimited time. Also assume that their hardware is unbreakable and won't degrade. (We can dream) The newbie could sit there for a decade trying to produce the highest score possible if they desired, however the amount of time they spend is up to them, and even though the hardware is magical, they're only human, with all implications.

I am Xtreme
    i can help the newbie...share my knowledge...(limited knowledge )

how did deux and the young guys get fast into the rankings? they were with really good guys.

sharing is caring...

Wpprriimmee crrraaazzzyyy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    i can help the newbie...share my knowledge...(limited knowledge )

how did deux and the young guys get fast into the rankings? they were with really good guys.

sharing is caring...
    This is XS, sharing the knowledge with the overclocking community.
    Heatware

Custom SS unit by Gray Mole, Sdumper Cascade, K|ngp|n F1 Gemnni, TEK9 Fatboy, TEK9 Slim, NB-1, H2O stuff...
    Celeron 347, Celeron 356, Celeron 420, 2x P4 631, P4 670, P4 640, P4 651, P4 524, PD 915, P4 540J, 2x P4 530J, P4 520J Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2-8500 2x Asus REX X48, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.0, Asus Commando P965,
    Stuff I used to have:
    Asus RIIIE X58, Evga Classified P55, Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, i5 670, E8600, Q9650, Q9550, , 3x2GB Mushkin Redline 2000C8,, G.Skill 2x2GB PC9600(Silver), Evga Evbot
    XFX 4770 modded, XFX 7950GT, XFX 6600GT, Evga 8600GTS 512MB, 3850 OC, 4x 3870s, and X600

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - James Stewart

Turkey Man
    I sat and read all of that, and never really gained anything from it nor felt that you made any particular point.
    Were you intending just to post a question?

Anyhow, one of the most important scenarios i think you missed was the element of superior hardware, and its huge influence on competative overclocking.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxfan View Post
    Thought provoking post Gautam. Time plays a factor in everything.

I think the answer to your question whether 1 month is long enough or not for the newbie to have a chance to beat the experienced one would be it depends. For one thing, would the beginner have internet access? If so they can learn most anything they need to know in a month on a place like XS.

Overclocking is definitely a different type of sport than Drag Racing and can only be compared to it to a certain extent.
    That's a good question and one that I thought about myself. I was going to write that they had access to research anything they wanted on the internet, but also wished to leave that open ended.

Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    I sat and read all of that, and never really gained anything from it nor felt that you made any particular point.
    Were you intending just to post a question?
    Yes. If I actually made a point, people would have a reason to have beef with me, wouldn't want that now.

Anyhow, one of the most important scenarios i think you missed was the element of superior hardware, and its huge influence on competative overclocking.
    I didn't miss it, I omitted it.

Turkey Man
    Then my answers would be heavily based on whether both users had the exact same hardware, or just the same model of hardware.

Admin
    For now I want to say, exact same hardware, exact in every single way. Two CPU's that are perfect clones of each other, same characteristics all around. Same for motherboard and GPU if applicable.

Champion
    must say im with T_M on this one. I don't really see your point/message here.

or is it that you're just after our thoughts about "newbie" vs "experienced user"?
    in that case, like you already mentioned; everyone has his own opinion about who would win. Personally though, i don't see any reason to discuss this. It hasn't any relevance on real world situations really. Hardware never reacts the same, if it isnt the same piece. And even an experienced user needs some luck from time to time
    GOOC 2009 EU: #3
    MSI MOA 2009 EU: #3
    MSI MOA 2009 WW: #1
    MSI MOA 2010 EU: #1
    MSI MOA 2010 WW: #1
    MSI MOA 2011 EU: #4

** and some screw-ups i don't wanna mention

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My thoughts are "oh no, not another thread on this subject".

Basically, all I can say is you need some knowledge, a little experience and some luck. That brought even me to the MOA finals. As long as there are clear rules and everybody plays by them, whoever wins deserves it, in my opinion. No matter what type of competition.
    I KNOW MASSMAN DISLIKES YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    yo yo... man, you gotta lose the beard... you look like a drunk :P
    Competition ranking: Better than the danes in everything I've ever entered.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Gautam:
    Interesting, but left out the variables that we see SO much in the competitions.
    One guy gets a superiot chip or one guy gets a bad boardor one gets a video card that will go higher than all the others.
    God's truth, I see the winner of a competition as skilled yes, but also the guy having the best luck of the draw on the parts.

You know what impresses me?
    Situations like when MikeG's board started smoking and he calmly fixed it.
    THAT is what impresses me. The calm and the skill..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Noob Vs experienced will depend on the benchmark. Vantage for example... there wont be much difference and it will depend on the CPU + GPU combo

SPi32M.... the experienced guy will destroy the noob.

Excluding 3DMark01 and SPi32M for being the biggest exceptions.....if we all have access to the same hardware at the same MHz, we're talking about hmmmmmmmmmmm 3% max difference between noob and experienced.

The best bencher cant pull a rabbit out their ass if they're given a crap chip/ GPU.

The best watercooled bencher cant have a 25L dewar and a lump of artist eraser put in front of them and be expected to bring noise... not immediately.

Whoever has been there, done that and has the best silicon sample will rise towards the top, then fight with others for the 2-3% difference in bench efficiency

The perception of luck/ skill in having that combo comes down to the name.

most blatant example... I get that 6.9GHz 980x and hand over my 5.9-6.0GHz chip in return. I'm at the top..... its luck. Only a very select few can test enough CPUs to be able to call it anything else.
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Admin
    I think it's time to discuss it simply because things are like a crucible these days, contests are everywhere, and people are mad everywhere. Overclocking as a whole is like a prepubescent tween at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Machine
    My thoughts are "oh no, not another thread on this subject".
    Yeah ok, it's probably a bad thing that I have a couple of days of vacation time with nothing better to do.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Noob Vs experienced will depend on the benchmark. Vantage for example... there wont be much difference and it will depend on the CPU + GPU combo

SPi32M.... the experienced guy will destroy the noob.

Excluding 3DMark01 and SPi32M for being the biggest exceptions.....if we all have access to the same hardware at the same MHz, we're talking about hmmmmmmmmmmm 3% max difference between noob and experienced.

The best bencher cant pull a rabbit out their ass if they're given a crap chip/ GPU.

The best watercooled bencher cant have a 25L dewar and a lump of artist eraser put in front of them and be expected to bring noise... not immediately.

Whoever has been there, done that and has the best silicon sample will rise towards the top, then fight with others for the 2-3% difference in bench efficiency

The perception of luck/ skill in having that combo comes down to the name.

most blatant example... I get that 6.9GHz 980x and hand over my 5.9-6.0GHz chip in return. I'm at the top..... its luck. Only a very select few can test enough CPUs to be able to call it anything else.
    See...the answers aren't all that difficult...

I got the answers right? Great! What do I win?

Benching now is the same as it was when I was kicking this question around ExtremePrometeia......

Its a mix of luck and skill.

Even if a bencher has...say... Intel support and has crap luck with the CPUs they are sent and/or just gets a tray of lemons... how long will Intel stick with them for?

I'd like to throw daily job + life choices into the mix. Not everyone can have a dewar in their house, let alone a ranger. Maybe renting a secure lockup is beyond them. I do NOT mean this offensively to the guys in this situation... maybe your bench results are affected by your job in a call centre.....

You develop your skill to get the best out of the luck that comes your way, then when you have company support, you start playing the luck game again
    Last edited by K404; 08-20-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Yeah ok, it's probably a bad thing that I have a couple of days of vacation time with nothing better to do.
    If that vacation is in mass......LMK.

To answer part of the equasion, lets say the memory used in question requires manual tuning all timings aka subs to even work right.

The guy with the most patience and knowledge in this department, noob or pro will win always in the bench that requires this type of bandwidth.

The guy without the patience or knowledge will just downclock lower or loosen timings and say screw it.
    Last edited by chew*; 08-21-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Turkey Man
    404 your siganture is getting a bit huge

Its ok T_M, you're still at the top of it Yea... fair point, i'll cut it down a bit
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Member
    Hey Guys,

well firstly a few people seem to be thinking "Oh not ANOTHER thread like this"and have become a little depressed at seeing fellow benchers being annoyed at certain things that are happening. but I see it as if the issues arent discussed (in an appropriate way, like this) then nothing will get worked out or get better, right???

Now does overclocking take skill? YES OF COURSE! I think knowledge is alot more important though. If you have figured yourself or read about a certain tweak that can take .200's off of your SuperPi score and someone else hasnt because they havent been overclocking for very long. It doesnt sound such a big advantage, but the more expierienced overclocker probably will know say 5 or more of these .200's tweaks which will add up in the final results. Now that kind of advantage is a FAIR advantage and no one could argue against it because the newbie/less expierienced overclocker can gain the same knowledge over time. they just have to work at it and spend time like the more expierienced overclocker did.

Now what most people are annoyed with what they see as the unfair advantages. Right now I think its the turning point. A point where Overclocking will get a very big thing and there might turn out to be leagues and mainstream overclocking world/country championship. So this is the point where I personaly believe distinc rules should be put in place, because we all know right now the main thing on peoples lips is SPONSORSHIP. Now I dont mean to make it sound a bad thing at all, but being sponsored with your hardware gives you a MASSIVE advantage.

Now if I wanted to go for a global world record in say vantage I could do. I could myself go out and spend quite a few $$$$. As we know to buy the highest performance hardware is way out of reach for I'd say 90% of overclockers. A $2,000 cpu, $700 mobo, $700 per graphics card depending on how many I wanted. I'm thinking of even more expensive systems based around say an EVGA SR-2. Anyway I could do this knowing that in a year I probably wouldnt even get half of my money back, but if I wanna be in the game then I have to accept this. What is hard to accept is when someone sponsored (not all sponsors are like this but quite a few are) can acquire 20 of the latest CPU's that have been cherry picked and the overclocker can then find the best clocking of the bunch too. this goes for cards, memory, motherboards, whatever. So even after getting in the game I'm still at a HUGE disadvantage. Take Andreyang, in one of his posts he had a picture of 20 or so latest Xeons at the time to cherrypick from for example!!!

Now all this doesnt only cause people wating to be top a problem it also causes other sponsored people to become agitated. Alot of the time they have spent alot of money and have earned their right to be sponsored by a company or companies. Now the biggest threat is losing that sponsorship. this leads to cliches and teams keeping hold of their places as best they can (which is fair), but annoying others people it is cold and not in the way of how sharing information and how overclocking communities should. i remeber when i joined here OPP and Fugger sharing their knowledge and really helping you to get better results. I dont think its like that anymore amost the elite.

I do firmly believe people with major sponsors (I know some people dont get anywhere near the example I provided, although alot do) should be ut in to a different segment or league. Sort of a professional and amateur leagues if you will. With overclocking about to get really big I can't see another way IHMO I must say.

James

Xtreme Member
    Competiton is meant to bring out the best in YOU, your skills and your abilities with what you have. So if you get a crappy chip, push it anyway. It sucks, but not everything is created equally.

And it takes a bit of skill along with some luck(or the chance to cherry pick processors) to get in the top rankings for most things on hwbot now. I've been playing around on s939 lately with dry ice, (had my first two runs the past two weekends). I got most of the hardware for free, and a F1EE pot from K|ngp|n, and a couple cpus off of ebay for like $10 a pop. so far I have 3 medals on hwbot on ~$50 worth of investment other than the pot. You don't have have the best equipment to get good scores. And points are just points anyway. It's not like you are getting money or anything for some of the stuff (unless you enter some competitions), And for most of those competitions, you probably already have the hardware they are giving as prizes. I'm happy playing with 5-10 year old technology. I like getting to know how the hardware works and what makes it happy or sad. It's fun to get to the point where you can tell if it is stable by how the computer acts when the windows loading screen is up. I just like pushing hardware and use the benches to see where I stand overall, and to help track my own progress, because I am horrible at tracking it all myself.

There is a lot of knowledge that goes into overclocking, and for the most part I see the basics being passed around, but if we were to go through and try to get every selection for every computer configuration, it would me almost endless, and rather useless, because, as I mentioned before, not all hardware is created equally (and I have experienced this testing 6 of the same chip).

If you are that desperate to get points and be recognized for something that really has no practical application in life (as extreme overclocking is very impractical), then go pick up something like drag racing... oh crap you will have to dish out like 10-50x as much money to even get off the ground there, and all the tweaking and work that goes into that... but you get real medals, and you can get some pretty nice cash purses sometimes.

I don't know, I just do it because I can, and I don't complain or bug people about my problems really. If I have a question about something, I research it, or post on here. If someone answers, horray, if nobody does, then I go back to trying to solve it myself.

Have fun pushing the edge... whatever edge you are standing at!

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e

Quote Originally Posted by desnudopenguino View Post
    recognized for something that really has no practical application in life (as extreme overclocking is very impractical),

I disagree Liquid Nitrogen handling is on my C.V. For research engineering jobs, that can be pretty damned useful.

Phase builders- their handling and understanding of compressed gases, know how to hook all the parts up to work safely and usefully.... brazing skills....

Building a cascade is no small feat..... do HVAC/R courses cover that ground?

Practical applications of all the heat exchange work we do- watercooling, cryogenic stuff. I've seen articles written by engineers with more letter after their name than IN their name, discussing watercooling for server farms and its pretty damned basic stuff they're writing about.

Soldering skills.... I had a job interview a couple years ago and I was told i'd be sent off to do a course to teach me how to solder. I said I was well up on soldering and it DID help my application and interview stand out.....

DIY... the case modders and their dremel skills.

CNC ops for pot-makers....

etc
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast