Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD to phase out 3DNow! multimedia instruction set

Xtreme Member

AMD to phase out 3DNow! multimedia instruction set

3DNow!™ instructions are being deprecated
    AMD introduced the 3DNow!™ instruction set back in the K6-2 days to do Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) instructions, otherwise known as vectorized instructions. These were mainly used for graphics intensive applications and even audio processing. Since then, we have added many SIMD instruction sets to our processors, such as the widely used Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) instruction set and its successive versions.

3DNow! instructions are being deprecated and will not be supported in certain upcoming AMD processors. In those processors, the 3DNow! Instructions feature flag bit will not be set.

I am Xtreme
    lol intel adds more media support, amd removes some. an interesting day indeed

YouTube Addict
    Looks like AMD is working hard to clean up their implementations with a huge focus on forward support.

Since largely very few applications made use of 3DNow, it is only logical to remove it.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Cruncher
    it's much more efficient to drop 40 instructions rather than integrating old implementations into new designs like bulldozer. maybe someday we can drop mmx too.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Out with the legacy crud getting in the way of progress!
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Member
    The whole x87 FPU/SIMD stack should be ditched at once, but sadly then we won't have software PhysX...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Looks like AMD is working hard to clean up their implementations with a huge focus on forward support.

Since largely very few applications made use of 3DNow, it is only logical to remove it.
    even if an application (which are games most of the time anyways) uses 3dnow - today's cpus are more than fast enough to run these apps even without optimized instruction sets. so i don't think it's a big loss.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Addict
    Most, if not all the 3DNow! functionality has been replaced with SSE variants.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    even if an application (which are games most of the time anyways) uses 3dnow - today's cpus are more than fast enough to run these apps even without optimized instruction sets. so i don't think it's a big loss.
    Well if you want to be completely honest, there are large swaths of instructions included in x86 that are rarely used.

Some good examples:

x87 [Only intentional malice or mental retardation would employ its use; since most compilers intentionally avoid it.]

MMX [Only binary code older than SSE2 would dare make use of it]

binary coded decimal instructions [I have yet to find a single application that uses them.]

Repeated String Operations [Haven't see code using it in a long time]

and for the curious a list of the most commonly used x86 instructions:

http://www.jegerlehner.ch/intel/IntelCodeTable.pdf
    Last edited by nn_step; 08-19-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well if you want to be completely honest, there are large swaths of instructions included in x86 that are rarely used.

Some good examples:

x87 [Only intentional malice or mental retardation would employ its use; since most compilers intentionally avoid it.]

binary coded decimal instructions [I have yet to find a single application that uses them.]

Repeated String Operations [Haven't see code using it in a long time]

and for the curious a list of the most commonly used x86 instructions:

http://www.jegerlehner.ch/intel/IntelCodeTable.pdf
    Could instructions using these be emulated?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Most, if not all the 3DNow! functionality has been replaced with SSE variants.
    Exactly.
    Plus the BD front end would have to support 21 3Dnow instructions which are already covered in SSE or MMX sets. BD will have a full support for MMX,SSE1-3,SSSE3,SSE4.x , AVX,XOP,LWP and AES .Dropping the 3dnow support was expected(they even,for now,dropped "new" CVT16 from BD cores).

There is a table at AMD's programmers manual that illustrates the coverage of 3Dnow by other intr. sets.
    Last edited by informal; 08-19-2010 at 03:07 PM.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    Could instructions using these be emulated?
    yes, it is extremely trivial to do that. However as of yet, only a subset of them are not worthwhile to still keep in microcode. [Which is dirt cheap]

I honestly expect over the next 10 years to see a large segment of these instructions to be dropped or simply emulated around.

For example x86_64 long mode eliminates several instructions that previously horded some precious opcode space.

However It is felt that AMD made a mistake by keeping x87 in long mode.

If AMD and Intel, just sat down together and cleaned up AVX; we could very quickly see a much cleaner API.

Xtreme Addict
    Glad to see some of the "old legacy" instruction sets being removed from new gen CPUs.

Xtreme Member
    While I appreciate companies trying to bring out innovation such as 3Dnow!, it makes sense to drop unused or outdated functions when it has been surpassed (dominated) with a broader standard in SSE.

One (eventual) instruction set to rule them all would make life easier on developers to optimize for.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neova View Post
    While I appreciate companies trying to bring out innovation such as 3Dnow!, it makes sense to drop unused or outdated functions when it has been surpassed (dominated) with a broader standard in SSE.

One (eventual) instruction set to rule them all would make life easier on developers to optimize for.
    I wonder what we could call this Reduced Instruction Set Computing?
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

Xtreme Member

MMX is still faster than SSEx in many functions on current CPUs. x264 use varying degrees of MMX acording to the CPU architeture, except for nehalem based cpus. There, IIRC, SSEx seems better for all cases. For Core 1 and Pentium-M, MMX is faster for almost all cases. Compilers also still optimize using MMX, it seems. Some software is optimized only in MMX, because supporting old cpus adequatedly was put as more important than be a bit faster on some newer CPUs.

I am pretty sure that 3dNow! and MMX are both unusable while in x86-64 mode anyway, so this doesn't actually affect anyone unless they are still running a 32-bit OS.
    i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
    Asus P6T6 Revolution
    3x GTX260
    6x2GB Corsair DDR3-1600
    G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD
    G.SKill Titan 128GB SSD
    Segate 7200.11 1.5TB
    Vista 64 Ultimate

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by aka1nas View Post
    I am pretty sure that 3dNow! and MMX are both unusable while in x86-64 mode anyway, so this doesn't actually affect anyone unless they are still running a 32-bit OS.
    Which is 90% of window's users...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    it's much more efficient to drop 40 instructions rather than integrating old implementations into new designs like bulldozer. maybe someday we can drop mmx too.
    Sooner than you think...
    Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    lol intel adds more media support, amd removes some. an interesting day indeed
    3dnow has almost nothing to do with media support, intel is adding in a new unit for transcoding they are not adding instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    u wont see MMX gone until we have no more bioses or boot loaders, the only thing that it dose anymore is keep the internal commands encrypted and people with low lvl code wont be happy when u can just probe a command.

Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    Which is 90% of window's users...
    windows 7 is supposed to be over 50% 64bit, visa has a good chunk 64bit, almost all servers that are not running propriety legacy programs on windows are 64bit (08 r2 is not even on x86)

if this makes the chips better then im all for it, but if they just check a bit to disable it when its there, then i dont see the point.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    But will older games work if we drop 3DNow! and maybe MMX someday? I mean i know CPU's are fast enough, but will it even work if there is no required instructions, but the game requires them? Are there any fallbacks or it works anyway, just slower back in it's days (but wouldn't make much diffference today n fast CPU's)?
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    But will older games work if we drop 3DNow! and maybe MMX someday? I mean i know CPU's are fast enough, but will it even work if there is no required instructions, but the game requires them? Are there any fallbacks or it works anyway, just slower back in it's days (but wouldn't make much diffference today n fast CPU's)?
    im sure that there could be driver emulation, u can run dos box emulation for older stuff and some of those commands they use arnt in windows anymore, and u can emulate most parts of PPC and other ibm stuff so i dont see why this could not.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Intel never had 3DNow! and games work just fine on them.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    So much for this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBG7HRQpPIg

Whenever I think of 3dNow! I think of Quake 2 patch.. As someone mentioned, anything using 3dnow! would work just as well without it.
    Last edited by mAJORD; 08-20-2010 at 04:48 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Good move. There is too much mess as is. About time we standardise things more.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast