Thread: OK new thread - TEC on a 5770?

Xtreme Addict

OK new thread - TEC on a 5770?

Guys, its pretty obvious that this subject gets very little attention as there are hardly any posts here, so lets try this: MCW60-T on a 5770 (v1 with voltage control), will it work? Will it get cold enough to make a difference to max benching clocks? I was going to use a meanwell psu so I can run it at other than 12v , so what meanwell psu would be best? Is there a bigger peltier I can put into that block? I have a BIX3 rad spare and was going to use that to cool the hot side, will it work?

Any input would be great.

Last edited by aussie-revhead; 08-19-2010 at 02:51 AM.
    Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi...you killed your thread yourself by saying that you were just going to go ahead and put a MCW60-T on a 5770.....now your asking if that will work !!

I have never, personally used a TEC on a VGA. Always seems to me like too much effort and trouble BUT I can say this.....

The TEC in the MCW60-T is a 19.3v max 161 couple TEC. IT must be a custom size cant find a comparable unit with charts anywhere. If you were to power it at the generally excepted "best point" of 75% input roughly you could go for 15v the cooling capacity at 15v would be something like 80w with a pretty good Dt so it will be pretty cold. If your looking a swiftech and wondering why 12v would get you 110w - the lower voltage would get a lower Dt which would get better cooling.
    So at 12v you would get 110w cooling but only to a higher temp. At 15v you would get slightly lower cooling but at a lower temp

So what is the output of your card sorry...just the GPU? It is not any sort of an idea to put a TEC on something it cant cool so the cooling needs to be higher than the output of the GPU.

It will be near impossible to exchange it for a more powerful TEC because it is a 40mm x 40mm TEC. A more powerful TEC will almost certainly be bigger physically and wont fit.

meanwells are adjustable by about +/- 15-20%. So a 12v supply wont quite get you to 15v. Your best point of reference will obviously be the meanwell site.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 08-20-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    point 1 the MCW60-T is to underpowered to be of any uses these days
    Point 2 Why would you buy a budget 5770 then spend hundreds and hundreds to TEC cool it ? you'd be a thousand time better off buying a second card or selling it and buying a better card ?

Xtreme Addict
    US2 - point 1- Im only looking at MCW60-T because its all I can find that is commercially available for gpu use
    point 2- I dont see how it will cost me hundreds to cool it when I have everything except the TEC and dedicated psu. Why a 5770? I like overclocking and I have a better chance of getting a positive result from a TEC with a lesser heat generating gpu. Second card? I just sold two 5870's and two 5850's as I had my benching fun with them and want to play with something else. My gaming needs are fairly basic, it seems just about anything can run MW2 satisfactorily, so its just for some overclockign and benchmarking fun. You get more hwbot points for less common hardware.

zipdogso - I thought discussion would continue in the other thread but it didnt, thats why I started a new one. I can have the cpu in the same loop, or in a dedicated loop, Im assuming the latter would work best.

I saw mention about putting a better TEC in an MCW60-T , I will have a dig for it and try to make sense of it.

Cheers.
    Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Mentor
    I seen some where the single slot versions of the cards are only 108 watts in total.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
    I can have the cpu in the same loop, or in a dedicated loop, Im assuming the latter would work best.
    No you misunderstood me slightly....there is a rating for the whole card and there is a rating for just the GPU.. Since the Swiffy only covers the GPU that's the wattage you worry about.... not the output for the whole card. You will of course have to cool the rest of the card and I understand some bits...I don't know...voltage regs or something get pretty toasty on some cards.
    Partly why I have never bothered...partly due to space problems as well.

Xtreme Mentor
    well I think Gddr5 is only 38 watts per 1gb seeing as the 5870 1 gb card was 187 watts and the 2gbs cards are 225 watts.

your down to about 70 watts on single slot 5770

I'm sure most of those don't use 6 pin pci express power either.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

yes it works very well

I have used the swiftech and built my own tec GPU cooler ( using a low profile danger den water block ). 15.4 volts works best on those 40mm 188W TECs ( seperate power supply per TEC for fine tuning. My temps are idle -10 ( card1 ) -20 (card2) and peak temps running vantage are (15 c and 7c respectively ). This allows me to run 1.299v on the card and gpu = 1125 and memory = 1365 on my cards.

http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...70_24700_marks

You need a separate water loop ( large capacity ) and ice /wetter-wet helps. TEC water loops get pretty warm. This is like puting a V8 in a Chevy Vega. It is not about economics. I did it because I could.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapmizer View Post
    I have used the swiftech and built my own tec GPU cooler ( using a low profile danger den water block ). 15.4 volts works best on those 40mm 188W TECs ( seperate power supply per TEC for fine tuning. My temps are idle -10 ( card1 ) -20 (card2) and peak temps running vantage are (15 c and 7c respectively ). This allows me to run 1.299v on the card and gpu = 1125 and memory = 1365 on my cards.

Not bad results there...

Why do people insist on quoting idle temps...it is pointless with TEC. Means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapmizer View Post
    It is not about economics. I did it because I could.
    Exactly but I'll also wager you wont be using the TECs for long...not at 15.4v.

Bring it on

I have been running my tec setup for a few months now -- no problems. Idle and Peak temps are important. Let me see your post to whoop up on my score and I will shut the hell up !!

I just wanted people to know what is possible. I was tired of the same old dry $%#@# people stating the impossible without trying. Remember the Wright brother -- we would all be walking if they didn't try.

Talking I will be using my TEC for a while

Because they are 24v TECs. Do not assume -- ask question and I will answer. I am here to share -- but prepared to defend. It's the American way.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I looked 'em up...great....

I still maintain Peak temps are important but idle isn't.

In a watercooled system where idle would in many cases be above case temp it is important...with a TEC it isn't at processor idle the TEC coldside generally goes very low I suppose from condensation POV it could be important. BUT in the main any processor at idle isn't doing anything so unless having expensive electronics doing nothing is important to you idle is a minor point.