Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: keyboard holygrail - Wireless and backlit keyboard by Logitech

Xtreme Enthusiast
    all those ranting about batteries, I have the dinovo edge for my HTPC sometimes I leave it off the charger for weeks on weeks and its still perfect. But then again id vote for getting a dinovo over the one posted by the OP.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    Logitech has a wired version, which, IMO, is superior. No stupid batteries.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/keyboa...d/devices/4740

Yeah, small function keys, but I hardly ever use them.
    my friend has this keyboard, i tried it out and liked it alot.
    i am currently uses logitech's cheapest slim style keyboard, Logitech Ultra-X.
    i have both the usb and ps/2 versions and both are discontinued now i think, i think its a good keyboard especially for the price, they just don't last too long.

i find that i type more accurately on a slim keyboard.
    with normal sized keys i tend to stumble over them with my fingers which leads to mistakes. the size of the keys just get in the way for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Addict
    looks nice but cables don't bother me.. I have holes in my desk for cable routing and I like not having to worry about replacing batteries and such.

Gigabyte x58 UD5 / core i7 920 @ 3.8 / 6G ddr3 / 100G Patriot Inferno + 500G WD / gtx470 SLI watercooled / x-fi / 1KW enermax / 5760x1080 surround

Gigabyte z68x-ud3-b3 / core i5 2400 @ 3.6 / 8G ddr3 / 120G Intel 510 + 120G Adata S599 + 2x 1T WD blue / Zotac gt430 / x-fi / 500w ocz / 1920x1200
    DFI pro875B / pressy 2.8 / 2g corsair xms pro / 6800gt agp / 150g raptor x / 500w ultra x-connect / lots of UV lighting / smiles
    MSI K7N2 Delta-L / Athlon xp2600+ / 1G ocz platinum / chaintech TNT2 / 2x Diamond Monster 3D II SLI / Audigy / more smiles

Xtreme Member
    I Hate wireless. You're playing a WoW's arena and, at the most critical moment, the keyboard/mouse's batteries just deplet.
    Wired are much better.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Those new keyboards nowadays feel just like those laptop keyboards, I hate them. I am still using my old school Logitech Internet Pro from 2004/05 with the PS/2 connectors, to me it feels better than any keyboards out there.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maño View Post
    Hey guys, give it a try.
    I was doubtful when I first heard of this (who likes notebook keyboards anyway?) and it was love at first sight the moment I tested it.
    My Illuminated keyboard has more than a year now and it works like the first day. No worn keys yet.

And by the way I had a G15 prior to buying it and I don't miss it at all
    Any ghosting issues? I heard the Illuminated can only 2 keypresses at once meaning no CTRL + ALT + "Something", I stil my have blue G15 which is super nice to type on but it looks like something a 13 year old boy would have. Its only because of the looks I would change it.
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've tried those Perfect Stroke keyboards and I don't care for them. after owning two keyboards with Cherry MX Browns and Blues I've been spoiled, and I've just gotten into the world of mechanical keys.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post
    Any ghosting issues? I heard the Illuminated can only 2 keypresses at once meaning no CTRL + ALT + "Something", I stil my have blue G15 which is super nice to type on but it looks like something a 13 year old boy would have. Its only because of the looks I would change it.
    modifiers like ctrl and alt are usually not included in the minimum simultaneous keypresses
    the quoted 2 is a minimum anyway, for example, pushing ASX would work or not work despite the presence of shift
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    modifiers like ctrl and alt are usually not included in the minimum simultaneous keypresses
    the quoted 2 is a minimum anyway, for example, pushing ASX would work or not work despite the presence of shift
    I just remember reading some guy mentioning something like the thing I typed as not being possible.

But anyway do anyone know if the normal Illuminated feels like a HP Envy's keyboard? I really liked how that felt when I tried typing on that a few days ago compared to the cheaper HP models.
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    If that's the holy grail I think that makes me the antichrist. Or a monkeys uncle. This kind of keyboard fits handily into the "all flash and no substance" category, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting this in the same category as a $15 keyboard covered in superbright LED's for bling, that would be an insult. As far as illuminated gaming keyboards go, this thing looks like it is certifiably "next gen". I would even go so far as to say that it caters to a market and will be a hit in its crowd.

HOWEVER. To claim this is the "holy grail" of keyboards is a huge statement, and so I feel justified in cutting it down viscously . A holy grail keyboard would have no particular features to speak ill of, and this is FAR from that mark.

@El Maño/Others - Anytime you want to throw-down typing skills on a pro-grade keyboard versus a laptop-style keyboard like this one come see me. I guarantee you that a true quality keyboard would out-type this thing left, right, and center, and that's not because of "familiarity". Mechanical keyboards offer tactile response and, optionally, audible feedback - two things this keyboard specifically does NOT offer - meaning that I know when to lift my finger immediately once the required depth has been reached and I don't have to bottom-out to do so. In addition, those responses provide me queues that I can use to set up a better rhythm. Further, my keyboard has a natural step in it, ensuring that keys are equidistant from my fingertips... boards like this extend you more/less depending on what row you're on. It all adds up to a slower machine. Just to add insult to injury, even if we were to decide the performance was equal, if we were (eg.) playing a competitive game you're still dead and I'm looking for victim #2. Why? N-key rollover; unsupported on this keyboard.

And that doesn't even get into the fact that a true holy grail (to me) would also include a wired PS2 option in addition to USB wired for battery charging and wireless (for those who want N-key rollover), a switch to change keyboard layouts (eg. from QWERTY to DVORAK), and have a slot for add-on options such as foot pedals (full-body typing is the ultimate hack). I am on the fence about the ergonomic cut though, as to me if you're going to go ergonomic you might as well go full-out and get a Kinesis. So maybe two SKU's, one that's ergonomic and one that isn't. Including, of course, all the fancy lights and such that this one has (with an option to turn them off). Oh, and interchangable power packs, like was found with some Logitech mice where the receiver is a receiver/charging station for a battery pack so that you can swap out the cartridge through a slot on the side/back in 8 seconds or less.
    I hate to come across as lazy but honestly...

+1

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Now this is more like it - Razer Black Widow.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

I am Xtreme
    TBH I am unimpressed. *shrug* Backlit wireless keyboard sounds like it needs a lot of recharging. Plus it's pretty ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Whoa, mechanical?
    Only missing multimedia keys (like Lycoza has), and then it's perfect.
    Last edited by zalbard; 08-19-2010 at 06:06 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme CCIE
    Now that's what we're talking about. That is significantly closer to being the "holy grail". Does anyone know what kind of mechanical switches it uses? I'm guessing not cherry blue's because the constant clacks would drive people nuts at LAN parties, but there are a number of other choices.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

That looks amazing

Xtreme Guru
    argh just got the email. You beat me to it.
    This makes the logitech look like a baby toy.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Now that's what we're talking about. That is significantly closer to being the "holy grail". Does anyone know what kind of mechanical switches it uses? I'm guessing not cherry blue's because the constant clacks would drive people nuts at LAN parties, but there are a number of other choices.
    Probably not, but if you look at their little graphic at bottom it does mention "pronounced" audible feedback -

Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

I am Xtreme
    im super happy with my Sidewinder X6, i like red backlighting, removable number pad makes it great for getting some extra desk space when i dont need it. and a volume dial is 100x better than +/- volume buttons

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What's the point of an illuminated keyboard ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    What's the point of an illuminated keyboard ?
    You can play / work with your lights off. Extremely handy.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    You can play / work with your lights off. Extremely handy.
    If you don't know how to type

I for one dislike illuminated keyboards.

Xtreme Member
    If that's the holy grail I think that makes me the antichrist. Or a monkeys uncle. This kind of keyboard fits handily into the "all flash and no substance" category, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting this in the same category as a $15 keyboard covered in superbright LED's for bling, that would be an insult. As far as illuminated gaming keyboards go, this thing looks like it is certifiably "next gen". I would even go so far as to say that it caters to a market and will be a hit in its crowd.

HOWEVER. To claim this is the "holy grail" of keyboards is a huge statement, and so I feel justified in cutting it down viscously . A holy grail keyboard would have no particular features to speak ill of, and this is FAR from that mark.
    I wrote that and i have to agree with this. but for me that'd have been keyboard + trackpad tho :P

Nerdy Powerlifter
    It's too bad that company who was coming out with a trackpoint like pointing device / keyboard stopped production.

Are there any companies other than Lenovo that produce keyboards w/ a trackpoint / pointing stick? I'd pay through the nose for one.

It's all I use. I only recently bought a wireless mouse for SC2 since using the pointing stick aggressively for 2 hours = hurt index finger. Trackpoing + FPS = Dreamy. I still hate mice and can't use them for anything besides RTS.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Can someone briefly explain to me what "mechanical" means in context to keyboard keys? I know that keyboards have a variety of key contact mechanisms, but I don't know which types fall under the "mechanical" moniker. Thanks.

CPU: Intel i7 3770k. . . . . . . .Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
    Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe . . . . RAM: 4x4GiB GSkill Rampage 2133MHz 1.65V
    Video: Sapphire Radeon 7970 . . . Drives: Intel 520 SSDs
    Power: Seasonic Platinum 860W. . .Case: Rosewill Thor v2

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    It's all I use. I only recently bought a wireless mouse for SC2 since using the pointing stick aggressively for 2 hours = hurt index finger. Trackpoing + FPS = Dreamy. I still hate mice and can't use them for anything besides RTS.
    ...has anyone ever told you you're a very strange person?
    Rig specs

Last edited by KiSUAN; 08-19-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast