Thread: The Quest for 3D Stability

Xtreme Member

The Quest for 3D Stability

I've brought up this issue a few times before and people have usually told me to let it go saying things like "The RIIIE is a junk Nehalem board" and "It's only good with 2D."

In my experience so far, this has proved to be true. While I can run and pass Vantage at higher than 4.5GHz, doing so lowers my graphics score. I have recently learned that this is mostly due to QPI degradation. With this in mind, I seek advice!

In researching, I've read that QPI PLL is a very important value. However, the RIIIE does not have any value explicitly named to be this. More reading revealed that if not present, it is usually tied in to the IOH voltage (source).

With this bit of information, I'll be off to improve my 3D scores. If anyone with a greater comprehension of the X58 chipset and the Nehalem architecture could share something that would help me, I'd be very appreciative.

My chip is good for WPrime 1024M up to 5.1GHz (and maybe a bit higher with some tweaking), so I figure that if I do this well, I should be able to get some Vantage runs around there.

i7 920 / X58A-OC / Dominator GT 2000 7-8-7 / 5870 Lightning

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Vantage is much more GPU dependent than 3DMARK06, which is very CPU dependent. Try running your CPU benches on 3DMARK06 and you should see the scaling as CPU frequency increases. Vantage doesn't scale nearly as well with CPU frequency and you can actually hit a wall where the scores won't go any higher or even slightly lower if you don't have enough GPU power to keep up.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    I've brought up this issue a few times before and people have usually told me to let it go saying things like "The RIIIE is a junk Nehalem board" and "It's only good with 2D."

In my experience so far, this has proved to be true. While I can run and pass Vantage at higher than 4.5GHz, doing so lowers my graphics score. I have recently learned that this is mostly due to QPI degradation. With this in mind, I seek advice!

In researching, I've read that QPI PLL is a very important value. However, the RIIIE does not have any value explicitly named to be this. More reading revealed that if not present, it is usually tied in to the IOH voltage (source).

With this bit of information, I'll be off to improve my 3D scores. If anyone with a greater comprehension of the X58 chipset and the Nehalem architecture could share something that would help me, I'd be very appreciative.

My chip is good for WPrime 1024M up to 5.1GHz (and maybe a bit higher with some tweaking), so I figure that if I do this well, I should be able to get some Vantage runs around there.
    Please post any progress, I just put the r3e back in yesterday. I have had my 920 stable at 4.5ghz on it but didnt do much 3d benching, just ran linx and a few other programs. Tonight I start to play BC2 at 4500mhz with an hd5870, fps took a nose dive from 80-150 on my other rig down to 30-60ish on this board, backed my oc down to 4.3 and fps went back up. Only difference in my setup is the board.

I am Xtreme
    Last edited by Hondacity; 08-17-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I don't get it... none of those are on extreme cooling or above 4.5GHz?

i7 920 / X58A-OC / Dominator GT 2000 7-8-7 / 5870 Lightning