Thread: Do your OC'd rigs get less points than claimed?

Devil kept pokin'

Do your OC'd rigs get less points than claimed?

Was just running over my stat's and noticed that on my 2 rigs in sig(overclocked) get typically the same or ~10% less points granted than claimed and rarely over the claimed.

While my laptop(stock) gets the same or ~10-15% more in granted points than claimed and rarely ever under claimed.

The laptop and 1090t are on Win7x86, while my main is on Win7x64.
    Not getting any invalids/inconclusives/errors am I being paranoid or is there something to this?

Xtreme crazy bastid
    It's nothing out of the ordinary. The quorum system reigns in high claimers and helps prevent excessive over claiming. I seem to remember a couple of years back when the optimised clients were all the rage there was a kerfuffle at some project or other that didn't use a quorum system because people were overclocking the hell out of their machines and running heavily optimised clients. The outcome was that they were claiming HYOOGE numbers but returning tons of invalid work (as opposed to outright errors). The quorum and it's validation systems catch that kind of thing.

I suppose you COULD tweak your 'clocks down to the point where the claims and returns balance out more evenly, but I suspect that's going to be a moving target what with different projects giving different return rates and never knowing who else is in your quorum.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    It's nothing out of the ordinary. The quorum system reigns in high claimers and helps prevent excessive over claiming. I seem to remember a couple of years back when the optimised clients were all the rage there was a kerfuffle at some project or other that didn't use a quorum system because people were overclocking the hell out of their machines and running heavily optimised clients. The outcome was that they were claiming HYOOGE numbers but returning tons of invalid work (as opposed to outright errors). The quorum and it's validation systems catch that kind of thing.

I suppose you COULD tweak your 'clocks down to the point where the claims and returns balance out more evenly, but I suspect that's going to be a moving target what with different projects giving different return rates and never knowing who else is in your quorum.
    Let me see if I follow. Your saying my points get adjusted based on a relation to others results of the same project/task. Based on the variations in the compared result's?

Its nothing too out of line really just a trend I noticed. Ive done the usually LinX etc to ensure system stability and right now the 1090t is on a low OC and stock volts with standard memory timings/speed 1333-99924.
    I dropped the i7 down to 4ghz awhile ago while crunching since I wasnt really seeing much points difference for the power used.

Heres what Im looking at. Sorry for size much smaller and you cant see.
    Golda6core - 1090, TrippBoxx - i7, and IBM - laptop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hrm.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	106604  

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    Let me see if I follow. Your saying my points get adjusted based on a relation to others results of the same project/task. Based on the variations in the compared result's?
    Not on variations but on the different point claims. I someone makes huge claims they will drag the average up, but only until they reach a certain point (I think it's 2 standard deviations higher than the mean, but I could be wrong there). After that the high claim is ignored for the average calculation and they get the same as everyone else. Invalid, but not error'd, results get half of the returned score. Error'd results get nothing, unless they're beta work, in which case the errors are valid results in themselves and you still get credit.

Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    I dropped the i7 down to 4ghz awhile ago while crunching since I wasnt really seeing much points difference for the power used.
    Careful ... that could be seen as "sensible" and therefore "not xtreme".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Careful ... that could be seen as "sensible" and therefore "not xtreme".

Next Supercomputer Challenge we have I'll let her rip at 4.5ghz and even OC the laptop

Until then

Thank you again for the helpful info DA

Xtreme crazy bastid
    No problem

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I always get less than claimed but I think most of that is due to the 64 bit OS.
    Hey, I take what they give and not let it bother me..Ok,most of the time!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    As Dave hinted, it's the 64 bit OS (combined with a 64 bit BOINC client) making it seem like your main rig overclaims. This combination will always benchmark way higher than 32 bit on the same hardware which causes higher claimed credit per unit of runtime. All my machines are exclusively 64 bit now and they generally get granted 10-20% less points than claimed.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

NooB MOD
    I normally receive less than claimed even below stock speeds It's perfectly normal
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v