Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: Ice Dragon Update

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by relttem View Post
    CES2015 free registration is open. If you have never been, it is quite the experience.

Our booth was re-located back to the south hall - #26312
    Oh man... Those twisted tubing test photos really took me back to some of the wacky watercooling hijinks that went on a decade ago. If you're going to have any of that stuff at your booth to look at (even hidden away in a box under a table), I'm so there.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Oh man... Those twisted tubing test photos really took me back to some of the wacky watercooling hijinks that went on a decade ago. If you're going to have any of that stuff at your booth to look at (even hidden away in a box under a table), I'm so there.
    We will definitely have the twisted tube stuff there. I used twisted tube way back in 2000 when I was at Kryotech. I am in process of getting a new AMD system put together to see if the twisted tube system can handle the heat of an AMD chip. It had no problem with the i7 chip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    I'd be down as well. This is EXACTLY what my father kept referring to and this type of product is what he envisions scientifically correct/efficient PC watercooling (he's a retired cooling/thermal engineer). He was so annoyed/couldn't understand the need for such large pumps and diameter of tubing used in PC cooling when simple tricks like twisting the lines can actually lower temperatures drastically.

My father kept (and still keeps) trying to get me to install devices to cause water turbulence inside the tubing so the larger ID tubing has the water "scrubbed" from the outside of the tube. His example of why turbulence is needed is bubbles sticking to the inside of the Tygon tubing.
    Last edited by Rinaun; 07-19-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Turbulence where it's needed, and less of it where losses from it outweight gains. Sometimes "professional" thermal engineers think out .. something very weird, ignoring any experience from others doing PC LCing. I wonder if it isn't because they are used to planing and implementing loops of different corner cases, specifics, pressures, temperatures, using components of different characteristics & optimisations and alike. In another forum from alike pro person i saw loop with each and every block paralelized with individual shut off valve for each subloop, heating battery as rad. Of course, maybe using very high flow/little pressure circulation pump might be the reason, but imho it's another case of "i know better, because i worked professionally at somewhat related field, thus need no pesky accumulated experience of just DIY enthuziasts".
    Last edited by Church; 07-20-2014 at 03:05 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    definitely stop by our booth. Also, CES registration is free until August - I think. So, at least register and have a badge on hand. Start looking into hotels if you are serious about going - they sell out quickly.

The toughest part about using the twisted tube is getting a correlation for the heat transfer. There are so many variables that it is almost impossible to get a good indication of the needed length. My previous experience with it was with refrigerants, so there was a lot of phase change. But, it worked extremely well. A while back I posted a picture of a cooler I was trying to make with twisted tube.. I'll dig that up and post below.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this is it -

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    Turbulence where it's needed, and less of it where losses from it outweight gains. Sometimes "professional" thermal engineers think out .. something very weird, ignoring any experience from others doing PC LCing. I wonder if it isn't because they are used to planing and implementing loops of different corner cases, specifics, pressures, temperatures, using components of different characteristics & optimisations and alike. In another forum from alike pro person i saw loop with each and every block paralelized with individual shut off valve for each subloop, heating battery as rad. Of course, maybe using very high flow/little pressure circulation pump might be the reason, but imho it's another case of "i know better, because i worked professionally at somewhat related field, thus need no pesky accumulated experience of just DIY enthuziasts".
    I do agree somewhat with that, in the sense that they sometimes (especially my father) forget the variables used in projects like this. For example, it took a while to convince pops that water wetter isn't going to increase performance in the loop due to the much lower temperatures in PC watercooling.

On the flip side however, some of the tricks we can learn from these engineers carry over and can make our life easier or the products more durable. In my own rig, I'm running a D5 plus a XSPC Raystorm and a GTX 580 block from EK, along with a Thermochill 120x3. Using glycol, I've had the loop running non-stop 24/7 sans block installations since 2007 with the same pump and radiator. This has been mirrored in several other builds I have made for clients that still run to this day without any maintenance needed sans dusting. A few things aren't typical on my rig, including some high-dollar flow meters, circuit setters, and a bleed line to make sure there is zero air caught in the loop. Due to the bleed line, I never need to bleed my systems for air and with my circuit setters, the pump isn't stressed often.

Phobya and other companies are making the same bleed valve-type device that we added to my Thermochill via modifications.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    How does this stuff react with led lighting? Looking at monsoon reservoir and has led lighting, wondering how opaque this stuff is

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it is super opaque. Actually, it is more due to the light scattering of the nanoparticles that won't let the light through. That is why it is difficult to clear all the bubbles out - you can't see them. We weren't able to shine a pretty powerful laser through the fluid when we were doing the original research.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast
    we've worked a little on our website -

www.icedragoncooling.com

check us out at CES. I think you can still register for free..It might end this week
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is what we are looking at as the BACK of our CES postcard/brochure.. any suggestions?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

this looks awesome

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I changed the Origin to black..it looks a lot better. Here is our latest contraption. As soon as I get some RAM I'll give it a go..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415