Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i7 980X on the rocks ( palinkaaaaaa shots! )

One-Eyed Killing Machine

i7 980X on the rocks ( palinkaaaaaa shots! )

A few days ago Sophocles ( sofos1990 ) asked me if I wanted to bench with him and his cr@ppy Core i7 980X, he purchased a Sparkle GTX 480 and wanted to get some numbers down with that setup before selling that bloody 980X of his.
    So I said "sure, why not", I haven't had an LN2 session in the last few... months and I needed some of that benching adrenaline, after some phone calls all the details were taken care of and we had a date
    I picked his brand new card and my Palit GTX 480 as well and gave them a nice conformal spray bath.
    Since sofos1990's 980X was better ( despite being a cr@ppy CPU ) than my best 980X ( how typical ) I decided to take down some numbers with my card as well, my HWbot account needed a refresh.

The numbers we nailed down that day aren't actually worth mentioning, his 980X geezer was barely capable of running AquaMark 3 near 6100MHz and 3D Mark03 around 6GHz.
    Sofo's VGA was also better than mine, and thanks to the decent clocks his card managed to go through in 3D Mark03 sofo's grabbed the 6th place in the 3D Mark03 single card rankings with his 136.886 3D Mark03 run ( CPU 6GHz, GPU/MEM 1250/1050 ).
    He also captured a ~421k ( 420.937 ) AquaMark 3, and a ~52k 3D Mark05 ( 51872 ) with our last drops of LN2 ( barely made it to the save score window ).

So was this long story worth reading ? Maybe not, but the following paragraph probably is

I'm pretty sure that sofo's would kill himself for not saving some LN2 that day to try my newest 980X ( which was taking a nap on my 24/7 classified setup )
    2 days ago, I gathered 14L of LN2 and a lil' friend of mine, AMDnord to help me out.
    To my surprise, the 980X ( 3005F210 ) was a good chip ( not what I'd love to have and fall in love with, but considering my... bad luck & karma, I should be happy for having this one ).
    We started the testing with the usual CB & CBB testing in dual channel memory mode, the numbers ? No coldbug at all, and -154C cold boot bug
    Then we did some 3D Mark Vantage CPU TEST(S)ing, 1.6V 5.4GHz done, 1.7V 5.7GHz done, 1.8V 5.95GHz done.
    Then we tried AquaMark 3 as we had just a few liters of LN2, 6450MHz AquaMark done at 1.85V ( success! Borat said ).
    Tried to raise the UnCore then, but had limited success with that, I think the 73 BIOS for the X58 Classified E760 isn't exactly mature for 980X UnCore clocking yet, anyway, 6450MHz CPU and 4.5GHz or so UnCore = done too.
    I was planning to keep 1-2L of LN2 to try the lovely GTX3 triple channel memory kit Corsair sent me on LN2 aiming for DDR3-3000 triple channel, but the happiness my 980X gave me with its clocking made me lose track of time and LN2 supply and the session ended unexpectedly during a 3D Mark Vantage run ( which was run with an old driver which we used for AQ3 since it was the best of the ones I've tested before, so we missed 1.5-2.0k for that ), we ran out of LN2 during the second CPU test, and the system BSODed right after AMDnord pressed the save score button

I'm preparing myself and my new hardware for more LN2 sessions, and if my plans pan out well, I'll have 2 more LN2 sessions ( 55L of LN2 each ) by this weekend

I'll leave you with some screenshots/pictures while I'm leaving the room to insulate the new VGAs

Many many thanks to:

for the awesome RAM, thanks Alex, Mike & Peter.

for the TruePower Quattro 1200, thanks Korinna & Maurice!

[ click on the pics ORB URL's ]

Last edited by BenchZowner; 08-21-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Mentor
    impressive clock speed there, more rig pics though!
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

all outta gum
    I love long stories
    Needs more pics though.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I just checked my cellphone, I don't have any pics on it, and can't find them on my PC too, I think I deleted them accidentally yesterday when I was cleaning up my desktop

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Well done Peppito..
    Waiting for more...

24/7 Rig: AMD Athlon II 450 - MSI 760GM E51- 8GB 1600MHz Gskill RipjawsX- Nvidia GTX260 - OCZ Vertex2 60GB - Seagate 640GB - Antec Quattro 1200W - Samsung T220
    Bench Rig: Intel Core i7 3770K - Asus Maximus IV Extreme - 4GB 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT - 2x Nvidia GTX260 - Intel Postville 40GB - WD VelociRaptor 36GB - Antec Quattro 1200W

Xtreme Legend
    great success
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Admin
    Ah no banana CPU this time Good start.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    congrats
    great retail chip

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Good stuff Bill....GL with the new chip
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For Retail CHIP Very Good Scores
    Congart
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    AMD FX-8120
    ATI HD5750 Silent+ATI HD5770
    Kingston 1333 2*2GB
    GP1035B
    Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme

Sorry For My Great English

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Thanks guys,
    I'm quite sure that it can go even higher.
    We shall find out soon

ODOC
    Keep pushing it

Champion
    Did you try the coldbug in trichannel mode also?
    Born to lose, live to win!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Nope, because I didn't plan to run any Pi32M that day.
    Gonna try soon though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice to see a decent chip in your hand finally. take care of her. nothing 1.95v vantage runs

I7 920 D0 5362 1.627v
    980X retail 3003A258 - 6683mhz 1.85v
    ASUS R3X 265bclk
    ASUS R3BE 266bclk

i wont let him :p

ps:hi all

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Looks like my thread title was a psychic prediction... PALINKA.
    One shot drink, drop-down.

The CPU has at least degraded or is about to die ( or just my mobo got f*cked up )
    The 2 alive MGH-E from my 3ple channel A-data kit seem to be dead
    My classified seems to be dead after some poof and a tad smoke.

All in all, I might be out of CPU, RAM, Mobo now...

Stupid F batch CPU, 1 session with only a few liters of LN2, real voltages under 1.86V, and already degraded ?
    F*ck this sh1t.

Xtreme Member
    Bummer.

Problem with these 980's is that they perform so well we all keep acting like Icarus.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Not in this case however.
    Set up the rig, etc.
    Boot @ -60C, got into BIOS, set up the BIOS like I used to boot on the 1st session, 1.85Vcore, 5800MHz, +250mV VTT, dropped to -100C.
    Save & exit.
    Boots, temp to -125C gets into Windows.
    Temp to -160C eleet, clock in steps to 6.4GHz... clicking on AquaMark 3's shortcut.... as soon as the loading screen appears boom, BSOD.
    Reboot, trying 6.3G AQ3... boom, BSOD.
    Max benchable was 6.2G and that seemed to be badly run as the score was way below what it should be.
    Then it started acting even weirder, PiFast 12.85s @ 6GHz and after a few mins it wouldn't even complete the 3D Mark06 CPU tests at 5G...

It better be just the freaking motherboard & maybe the RAMs ( I will cry for you... Argentinian MGH-Es, but you won't kill me ), if the CPU is actually dead or that heavily degraded I don't know what I'm going to do, don't think I'll keep up with this mess.
    A CPU degrading or dieing after 4-5 hours of light benching is a no go for me, especially when most of these retail chips clock badly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It happened when I was w/ RBUASS (Ronaldo) and his Classfied gone dead...

Serious about the hypers? Very sad now, Hipro told that he misboot them at 2.4v (Micron profile) and they weren't injured.

Try to freeze it for a night, let it get dry before u try it again
    990FXA-UD3 | FX8350@4.7Ghz | Asus HD7870 | 2x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2050Mhz 8-8-8-22 | AX850W |SSD Vertex3 Max IOPS 120GB | Auzentech Forte + TAPCO-S5

EK Supreme Full-Gold | XSPC RX240 + EX120 | MCP35x | 3x Koolance Blue Led @PWM | Tygon Black 1/2 | Bitspower Compression | @ FM CM690 I

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    sofos is coming here again with his R3E.
    Gonna give the bloody CPU another try ( I'm not holding my breath, before the mobo went out in smokes it wouldn't pass the 3Dm06 CPU tests at 5GHz 1.75V )

Xtreme Member
    Dude ill say 1 thing CLASSI, thats your issue im sure & possibly ram . i doubt its the cpu m8
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "realy magic isnt card tricks, big cribs and cars b1tch
    its 6 gig vantage full pass without 2v sh1t" Young Pro

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    We're setting up the rig with the R3E now.
    I'm 99% sure that the CPU is dead or degraded to useless *@#) state.
    We'll find out in a few mins.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I'm 99% sure that the CPU is dead or degraded to useless .
    hope not

I7 920 D0 5362 1.627v
    980X retail 3003A258 - 6683mhz 1.85v
    ASUS R3X 265bclk
    ASUS R3BE 266bclk

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    CPU wouldn't post on sofo's rampage III extreme.
    Gonna try it on my 2nd classified ( the only classified I have now that my 1st died for sure )
    Sofo's CPU has degraded as well ( not that it was a piece worth working with, 6G to 6.1G AquaMark 3 max ).
    All my MGH-E DIMMs are 99% dead.
    Now all I need is to find out that my best GTX 480 ( 1350MHz AQ3 @ -145C ) is also dead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast