Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chilled water (56K beware)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so i should go w/ a 40/60 mix since that freezes at -42C
    also what do u do when u are handling methanol

also how hard is it to find ethanol

and runmc how did u seal your res
    Last edited by water_cooler 20; 01-01-2004 at 10:14 PM.

Banned
    Sexy rig! nice really nice,.

Admin
    The reservoir was soldered together. Then I sealed it with silicone on all the joints.
    I insulated it with three layers of 3/4 inch foam.

I used pure denatured alcohol. It is highly flammable and when it burns, you can't see the flame. Never breath the fumes. It can blind you, for sure.

After I had my chiller up and running, I sealed the top as well as possible with Armaflex.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Banned
    Originally posted by water_cooler 20
    so i should go w/ a 40/60 mix since that freezes at -42C
    also what do u do when u are handling methanol

also how hard is it to find ethanol

and runmc how did u seal your res
    Well, I had a bunch of ethanol @ last nights new years celebration. You can get that at any local liquer store.
    the methanol in the can I posted earlier can be found where ever paint suplies are sold.

Banned
    yea ,Methanol , were latex gloves, gogles,don't drink it and don't smoke.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if i got some plexi glass and made a res from that and sealed it w/ slicone would that keep the fumes of the methanol enclosed
    also when i fill my res should i do it outside

Banned
    if i got some plexi glass and made a res from that and sealed it w/ slicone would that keep the fumes of the methanol enclosed
    ok< things to consider will your sealant hold up to the temp and the methanol? How much trouble to insilate it?way to much trouble just get another small cooler do all your plumbing from the top.

X.I.P.
    ...ummm..congrats on the frostiness inside your res...good job on getting it going. Couple of observations on my part though,,the fans look like they are facing the wrong way, they need to blow through the condensor to help dissipate the heat so that it can turn back into a liquid.
    Actually, airflow through a condenser can be either push through or pull through. Pull through is slightly more efficient, thus most condensers are designed for pull through.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Banned
    Did you see my res in the chiller/ac unit sticky try something like that your evap coil can be molded to fit a different container if need be.

I filled my res in the house. just make sure your not around any open flame. If the fumes get to heavy just open a window and leave the room ,its really not that bad just use some common sense

Xtreme Enthusiast
    would i have to make the res air tight

Banned
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    Actually, airflow through a condenser can be either push through or pull through. Pull through is slightly more efficient, thus most condensers are designed for pull through.
    Ok, thanks for the correction Gary. But, wouldnt he still need his condensor to be in a more upright position, or at least not laying flat in order to get more air to pull through?

X.I.P.
    Gas line anti-freeze is pure methanol and is sold everywhere.

Banned
    would i have to make the res air tight
    As much as you can . you dont want all your goodies to excape and poison you and if you smoke well....

Banned
    RUNMC: Very Nice Rig! How come your not using atm?

In regards to the danger of methynol, of course it can kill you and make you go blind,,,it happens to a few alcoholics or stupid teens every year from drinking Wood-Alcohol (methynol),,,so NEVER drink it! LOL

In regards to using hydrogen peroxide in your system,,,what about the bubbles in it? Or does that only happen when you put it on a cut?

EDIT: I know, I need to read more...........

X.I.P.
    Ok, thanks for the correction Gary. But, wouldnt he still need his condensor to be in a more upright position, or at least not laying flat in order to get more air to pull through?
    The hot vapor should enter the top, and there needs to be airflow. That type of condenser, called a "static" condenser is designed to be used without a fan, but is normally in an upright position. Since hot air rises, and the tubes are spread out, there is enough natural airflow to dissipate the heat. The center portion forms a chimney of sorts.

In this case, if its a combination that gets rid of the heat, then its okay. But if it were stood upright, as per its original design, then it wouldn't need the fans.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 01-01-2004 at 11:15 PM.

X.I.P.
    RUNMC: Very Nice Rig! How come your not using atm?
    I'm afraid I gave Runmc some bad advice as regards cap tube sizing on his chiller, which is probably why he isn't using it. I am also learning here.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by iboomalot

handling it shold be fine just don't inhale it too much unless you like that kind of thing
    20026 01 <-- 9500 NP (on air) CPU TEC Cooled.

Originally posted by FUGGER
    Just the live video sex chat girls come to mind, not that I know anything about that
    With detail settings maxed, full PS and VS support, and highest resolution available, my life runs at 60FPS solid.

Banned
    The hot vapor should enter the top, and there needs to be airflow. That type of condenser, called a "static" condenser is designed to be used without a fan, but is normally in an upright position. Since hot air rises, and the tubes are spread out, there is enough natural airflow to dissipate the heat. The center portion forms a chimney of sorts.

In this case, if its a combination that gets rid of the heat, then its okay. But if it were stood upright, as per its original design, then it wouldn't need the fans.
    Cool! (no pun intended! )

Banned
    I'm afraid I gave Runmc some bad advice as regards cap tube sizing on his chiller, which is probably why he isn't using it. I am also learning here.
    Aren't we all....

Admin
    I didn't say that.

Changing the captube was a good learning experience for me. I quit using the chiller, because I moved on to direct-die cooling.

Gary gives the best advice, ever. He is a wonderful teacher, with tons of patience. Learning anything from Gary is a pleasure.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Addict
    just get two 1gallon jugs one you get from the local gas station or auto parts store full of WW fluid, the other jug empty.

fill jug #2 -- 1/2 full and then fill both up with your choice of alcohol or methanol.

USE a funnel and open methanol, hold breath , pour , put cap back on both jug and can. shake well, DONE DEAL.

and do this outside
    Last edited by iboomalot; 01-02-2004 at 08:43 AM.
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    today i'm going to home depot to pick up some methanol
    should i use the one home depot sells or gas line antifreeze

i'm also going to pick up some acrylglass to and put it on top of my res with closed cell foam on the edges than drill screws into it
    and i think that will get me airtight

Banned
    If your reffering to the S-L-X denatured alcohol at home depot it is the same stuff (methanol) as the gas line antifreeze.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks for clearing that up i though they were differnt

Admin
    The windsheild wiper fluid works good untill you get down to it's advertised freezing point, plus it's alot cheaper.

If your coolant isn't freezing up, I would stick with WWF for now.

When you get your rig perfected to a point where the WWF is freezing, you should change to something different.

Gas line anti-freeze and the denatured alcohol are two good coolants I know of. The denatured alcohol is a ethanol denatured with methanol. You could probably run a fuel dragster with it. It is very flammable. It is very dangerous. I would suggest the WWF untill you have everything sealed and figured out.

As I recall the denatured alcohol was $7.00 a gal. - not to cheap. I would be careful watering it down or you'll wind up having your mix freeze.

Fill your reservoir up, so that all of the evaporator(copper coil) is submerged in the coolant.

As you can see in my picture, I had the return coolant spraying down accross the entire evap. That let the pump pull the coolant down accross the coil and back to the water block.(this idea was one bowman gave me) You get a more evenly distributed coolant flow that way.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast