Thread: Asus P5Q +Q8200 = 76C board temp

Xtreme Cruncher

Asus P5Q +Q8200 = 76C board temp

Need help figuring this one out. I built this pc for a friend last year and on Tuesday they said that it is randomly shutting off. I opened Everest and it is showing the motherboard temp at 76C and higher and cpu temps of 48-54C at idle (with stock intel heatsink).

I took my TRUE off my pc and put it on theirs and the temps only went down by 2C but the heatsink is cool to the touch and an IR temp guage doesn't show any component over 40C.

As stated in the title, the board is an Asus P5Q, cpu Intel Q8200. I've tried Everest, speedfan, core temp and real temp and they all show the same temps. I'm guessing that it was shutting down because it was hitting a 80C. I can't figure out what is going on. I've never seen board temps on my pc's over 40C let alone this thing over 70C
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Technician
    Give it a cmos reset then see what the bios reads temps as. Wonder if the bios is a little corrupted or something.

There should be an asus tool to check temps in windows, use that just to make sure its not everest giving wacky readings and pointing you in the wrong direction.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I updated bios to the newest and did the cmos reset for the heck of it but with no luck. BIOS and every program I try in windows is showing the same temps for the board (74-78C). Can board sensors randomly die? Even with the stock intel heatsink on the cpu it is cool to the touch at idle. The NB and SB are warm but I can't see how they are over 50C.

Guess i'll have to try to find a decent new S775 motherboard Why must board manufacturers stop making boards that are good once there is a new socket
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log