View Poll Results: Should I cover my PSU with Carbon (real)

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 80.00%
  • No

7 20.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X'posed Bench Table

Of course, no problem ( Sorry for my English )

Advices: Always use quality car paint, always wear a paint mask, don't paint under 20°c and wait a sunny day otherwise you will have a lot more work...

1- Preparing the surface.

Paint on old thermochill is easy to remove with industrial solvent. Once most of the paint is gone you "soften" the surface as much as possible with different grid of sandpaper (with water). I stop on 1000 grid.

2- Primer paint

Nothing unusual, you spray it nice. Several thin layer then wait for half an hour.

3- Paint

Same as before, but put a lot of layer. Spray one way, wait five minute and spray another layer in another way. (8 layers on my rads)

Wait half an hours before the step 4.

4- Varnish

Here what we expect is to have the thickest possible layer. As the surface of sprayed paint is kind of crappy and we will have to polish it, removing most of the varnish. And if it's not tick enough you will remove the paint entirely before having the proper result. So go wild, with the same technique and spray as many layer as possible, especially on the edges. I sprayed 25 layers on each rad (yes it takes a full day )

Result : For now it's crappy, the rugosity of the paint is awful, it's looking like mat paint.

5- sandpapering.

Go back to the lower grid of sandpaper you can find (usually 2000) and gently, always with water you soften the surface. The "orange skin" should disappear fully. Take care of all the surface. You can use a powerful lamp, and with the reflection detect where you still can improve the surface.

6- Polishing

Using a silicon free polishing paste for plastic ( like the first one in the following link http://www.indiamart.com/company/2233928/products.html) and a cotton rag. Rub gently in circle for a lonnnngggg time until it start to glow

After a while a use a scratch remover paste for car paint, generally thinner than the polishing paste to improve the result ( like that for example http://www.4wheelplay.co.uk/scratch-...-25003088.html) and rub again...

Last step : Waxing

Use a car wax to make it glow even more

Here is a before / After picture . The polishing wasn't finished but it can give you an idea

If you've got a buddy that can make a good paint paint job for you.... Do not use spray paint, it will be faster, almost cheaper and the result will probably be better

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by antho View Post
    Hi, I got the new psu today,. Do you have somes advices/thought to make it better than the previous one ?
    Keep it dry ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i3 530 @ 4.2 ghz, evga FTW, 4 gig gskill trident @ 1600 6-8-6-24, XFX 4870 1gb, corsair 620hx, 2 x kinston 64gig ssd raid0, 300 gig Velociraptor, 2Tb WD green,
    Tagan black pearl (lian-li v2000)
    Water: mcp655, mcr320 with ultra kazes, GTZ, mcr60, micro-res,
    black primochill, bitspower comp. fittings
    Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Mac View Post
    We'll spend a few hundred bucks because the color isn't quite right. We have no qualms voiding warranties on a thousand dollar item the day we get it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dope_chaud View Post
    Keep it dry ?
    Mean

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by antho View Post
    Hi, I got the new psu today,. Do you have somes advices/thought to make it better than the previous one ?
    Watercool it correctly this time .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

I tried an innovative solution, PSU Watercooled without water block, i didn't worked.... But know i know it

Mesh and Carbon Fan Box ( for the Memory)

Xtreme Addict
    I would pay for this kind of work... this stuff is so sleek!
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Thanks, but with 8 hours of work i don't thinks it's economically viable lol

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm, to be honest I don't really like the look of that box, sorry . Though I'm totally loving the rest of your build . Hope that makes up for it .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

LOL, can discuss taste. To be honest i don't like it either. But as i wanted a bench table i must assume and see what i can do with it

I had some fun with the Crossfire Bridge

Xtreme Addict
    Someone has to sell those ... SLI bridges can be some ugly muthas.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    Someone has to sell those ... SLI bridges can be some ugly muthas.
    It Could happen if you guys really want it

Xtreme Addict
    I suggested you sell the fans, but those could be easily done hand-made and they don't apply to everyone's build. However, the carbon SLI bridges look a lot better than

or

How long did it take you to make that?

Unfortunately it's not that easy to do

So to expensive to sell, at least with non industrial process

For the Bridge it's way more easy. Mine was the asus one ( 2d in second picture)
    Last edited by antho; 08-22-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Nice job explaining how to paint the rads.

Wish you had done this worklog long ago so I wouldn't have a problem looking for instruction :P

Glad you find my explanation understandable, because with my top English level i wasn't so sure To bad it was to late for you Maybe it can help in the future

Couple of details of the graphic cards

Hello, sorry for the lack of updates but i was busy finishing it

It's now working but the pics are not over yet, so to make you wait a little longer, few shot of PSU V2 and memory

Xtreme Member
    I love your work.

Project Echo | Fractal-Design Array Rev2 | i5 750 | DFI LANPARTY MI P55-T36 | 2x2GB A-Data | Fractal SFF 300w MDPC-X sleeved orange and black | HD5870 | Kingston V-Series 64GB SSD | 2TB HDD | EK Supreme HF | EK-DCP 4.0 | EK Multioption 250 RES | EK-CoolStream-RAD XT 240 | EK-CoolStream-RAD XT 120 | EK-PSC Fitting 12mm - G1/4 Black | 5870 fullcover block |
    Theory | By Hannes ~ A Lian Li sculpture | Lian Li PC-8NB | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | Cooler Master V8 | 2x Laing D5 + Bitspower TOP + MOD-kit | Bitspower 250 + 150 RES | EK-CoolStream-RAD XT 240 | 19mm 1/4G Bitspower Shiny Silver + Matte black Fittings, rotaries, fillports, plugs etc etc. | MDPC-X Color -X, Black and White Sleeve.

Sponsors: Lian Li, ASUS, Bitspower, Cooler Master, EkWaterblocks, Misco.se, Fractal-Design, PCB Distribution AB, Coolingstuff.se, Enermax.

Xtreme Addict
    How much do you think you'd charge for SLI bridges? With this whole dual-460 craze, you'd get some customers!

Xtreme Member
    I have been really enjoying your progress, Antho! Even though it may not make it to your final plans, your mesh fan handiwork turned out fantastic.
    I'm really liking the textures your'e pulling together. The combination of ridges from the Himuros, carbon fiber and mesh is a total win.

Beautiful work, can't wait to see the finished product.

Xtreme Member
    great work
    and like ScottALot said you should maybe consider marketing those bridges.
    I would sure purchase some for TKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by masska View Post
    great work
    and like ScottALot said you should maybe consider marketing those bridges.
    I would sure purchase some for TKR
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    How much do you think you'd charge for SLI bridges? With this whole dual-460 craze, you'd get some customers!
    I didn't find a supplier with descent price yet.... but if you want to send me you bridge ( to france ) i can make you some ( not 100 of course ) for the cost of material and shipping back

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrelith View Post
    Beautiful work, can't wait to see the finished product.
    For latter today stay tunned

Quote Originally Posted by CptDreadFlint View Post
    I have been really enjoying your progress, Antho! Even though it may not make it to your final plans, your mesh fan handiwork turned out fantastic.
    I'm really liking the textures your'e pulling together. The combination of ridges from the Himuros, carbon fiber and mesh is a total win.
    Thanks i also wait to see your awesome build ended

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast