Thread: WorkBlog: Project Neptune (first w/c'd rig)

Post WorkBlog: Project Neptune (first w/c'd rig)

Hi All,

Having sat on a mound of components for months now (seems to take ages to collect everything you need from multiple vendors... no one store in the UK seems to stock everything at any one time... grrr), I'm ready to start my first build. I just know I've forgotten something (like M4 screws...), so will find that out as I go along.

This is my first w/c'd build (having been an a/c builder for years), so will likely encounter many problems along the way, but I have been trawling this and other sites for months - planning an optimal and hopefully a low(ish) risk build...

First off, thanks to the following for helping me with answers to numerous questions:
    - Adrian Mundy @ Specialtech.co.uk
    - Tom @ ChilledPC.co.uk
    - pdf27 and billbartuska on the ProCooling forum

Also, thanks to Skinnee and Vapor for their great website! Thorough guys.

My component list:
    - Case: Silverstone TJ07 (sent to Tom@ChilledPC for black powder-coating the internals of the case, and doing a triple-rad roof mod - thanks Tom).
    - Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme
    - CPU: Intel 980X hexacore
    - GFX: 2 x (SLI) EVGA GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW w/c'd cards
    - Memory: 12GB kit Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 (1600) CAS 8-8-8-24 2T
    - OS HDD: Intel SSD G2 160GB (old, but reliable)
    - Data HDD: 2 x Western Digital 2TB RE4 in RAID1
    - PSU: Silverstone Strider 1500W 80Plus Silver.
    - Two separate loops (CPU and GPU) using XSPC dual-bay dual loop Liang DDC Ultra restop (separated chambers for the loops with integrated 18W pumps).
    - 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tygon tubing
    - BitsPower 1/2" ID 3/4" OD black compression fittings: 6 x 45 degree rotary compression fittings, 2 x crystal Ts, 10 x black compression fittings, 2 x in-line temperature gauges (going into the crystal-Ts), 4 x blanking plugs. Wow... great quality components
    - 2 x pairs of Koolance VL4 no-spill extreme flow quick disconnects
    - CPU loop to use a triple rad in the top of the case: Black Ice GT Stealth 360, with 3 x Xigmatek 1500rpm fans in pull (only 20db and ~60CFM!).
    - CPU waterblock: Swiftech Apogee XT
    - GPU loop to use a quad rad in the bottom side of the case (the other side of the PSU): XSPC RX480 Quad with 4 x Xigmateks (1500rpm again) in pull.
    - Feser1 blue UV liquid for CPU loop + Petra's biocide
    - Feser1 green UV liquid for GPU loop + Petra's biocide
    - Sharkoon UV CCFL x 4 tubes
    - Arctic MX-3 paste, moving onto Indigo Xtreme alloy TIM
    - Misc stuff... (like neoprene fan gaskets, replacement quiet 40mm Fractal fans for IcyBox HDD hot-swap bays, replacement 92mm intake fans - using Gentle Typhoons, intake washable Fansis filters - stops dust build-up, PSU hot-wire block, 4 to 1 fan converter cables, etc.)

Now I've got all this stuff staring at me, I'm slightly daunted...

Right - first thing to do is flush out the rads and clean the water blocks... Will post some pics as I go along.

Wish me luck!

4rkon
    Last edited by arkon; 08-06-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: missed something