Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Rampage III Gene fullcover waterblock?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What some company needs to do is make a modular set of FC blocks, and connect the blocks with tube similar to this but have them pre-bent for specific motherboard layouts. Then you'd just need the appropriate mosfet block for your motherboards mosfet layout, and pretty much generic north/south bridge blocks. This would eliminate motherboard flexing as well, as there would be some flexibility due to the o-rings/tubes.
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Quote Originally Posted by tiborrr View Post
    Hi guys.
    Anyone who bought this block and still haven't mounted it is strongly discouraged to do so. Refund it. This was mentioned weeks ago.
    Well thats a shame, I bought the EK block direct on day 1, I've still not gotten round to building that rig so both block and Mobo are new and unopened. Its really not worth the risk having owned both products for 5+ Months (I think), returning the mobo if the block bricks it would mean RMA far to slow a turn a round.

Come on EK, make a revision and offer all buyers of your faulty product a free exchange.

Xtreme Member
    Guess EK isn't even working on it anymore :/ Gave up...

Hope it's not true, because that would be dissapointing.

Another Rampage III Gene set thanks to Bundymania for the pics!

As for me I'm waiting(ordered) for MIPS Corsair Ram Waterblock and 12 Gig of Corsair Dominator GTs. Should be here this week.

Psygnosi
    Last edited by psygnosi; 01-15-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    |Asus Rampage III Gene Bios 805|i7 980X|12GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8 w/EK Nickel+Acetal Dominator Ram WB|XFX HD 5970 Black Edition+5870|OCZ 1010 GameStream|Windows 7 Ultimate(64bit)|Corsair F-60 SSD w/ 2TB Seagate HD|EK-FB R3Gene Nickel+Acetal(Fully working) & Asus-1 WB|EK Supreme HF Full Nickel Edition|EK 5970 Nickel+Acetal, XSPC 5870 FC w/ EK Backplate|XSPC RX360+Black Ice Stealth 120+MCR120, D655,XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25 Res for D5 |Coolermaster Cosmos S w/Sidewindow|3 Samsung 205Bw LCDs in Eyefinity

Are they some sort of custom build block? I've googled Bundymania but my German is very poor. :-p

Xtreme Addict
    If I remember correctly, those blocks are produced by a german company called Liquid Extasy. I don't believe the block is in production at this time, because I can't find it on their site. I suppose Bundy received a testing sample.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

I've sent an email (thanks for the link) I'll report back if I hear from him.

UPDATED:

Hi, the cooler is next week availble. Confirm to Asus Rampage III Gene

Best regards Marc
    So I'm guessing check out the online store in a week...
    Last edited by HackJoe; 01-18-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Block is now available:

NL-NSB Twin Asus Rampage III Gene

Anyone buying one? I've got the EK block next to me, but is it worth the risk of fitting it?

Xtreme Member
    Don't think it's worth the risk tbh.

You can have a perfectly working block, but you can also have a dead mobo. And the second one is something you don't want.

Could the Gene III be RMA'd if damaged by the block? Or by trying to fit it void the warrenty?

Xtreme Member
    Most likely yes, because it won't be visible. But waiting for motherboard 2/3 weeks or more - that I can't afford.

Xtreme Member
    Been a while since I was on this board, nice to see all the feedbacks.

Sadly ofc I didn't read any of this till I fired (kinda literaly) up my board a few days ago. Took me quite a long time to gather all blocks and hardware, hence I'm still struggling with this block.

First time I tried the board it wouldn't boot, after unplugging the 8pin ATX it would, so immediatly thinking there was a short around that area. I used all the provided padding and washers exactly like discribed on the manual.
    Tried to fix it by insulating the things in the red rectangle cause they did have some large connections on the side which could touch the block.

Second try: No boot
    Had some serious smell and smoke coming from my northbridge. Cleaned everything up, and insulated the entire block (excluding the thermal padding spaces and the part where the northbridge touches the block).
    Block back on the board and ... no boot.

Hoping the short left some marks on the insulating tape I used I removed the block to see absolutely nothing...

Placed the block without any changes back on the board but didn't tighten it down, just used the screws to align it correct.
    And what do you know it booted.

I had the feeling my northbridge was being crushed so I added 2* 0.2mm spacers for the 2 holes of the northbridge, still using the other spacers as well. Tightened every down and I still have boot.
    The funky smell is clearing a bit but I still haven't had the time to hook my mb up to a waterrig to see if it stays stable for a long time and what temps I have.

Feedback in a few days

Xtreme Member
    it's been 2 months and EK doesn't give a about us.

Xtreme Member
    [QUOTE=totalz;4750594]it's been 2 months and EK doesn't give a about us.[/QUOTE

Wasnt a refund offered for a non working blocks? Or you want a banana?
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am not water cooled but play with many cpu heatsinks and found this mb to be very sensitive to how much you tighten the screws around the cpu area also. Over tightening the hs mount near where that block goes on the vrm will cause random reboots and system hangs or no boot at all even at default settings. I know how stable this mb is so its easy to tell when I have over tightened around the socket.
    Rampage III Gene I7 950@4.48G--1.485V HR-02 12G G.Skill 1600-1.5V, GTX470-SLI@725core 1750mem, Antec P180 MINI

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
    I want a working block, not a refund. Don't care about money. Care about working loop.

Good luck funny s. Keep us posted.

|Asus Rampage III Gene Bios 805|i7 980X|12GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8 w/EK Nickel+Acetal Dominator Ram WB|XFX HD 5970 Black Edition+5870|OCZ 1010 GameStream|Windows 7 Ultimate(64bit)|Corsair F-60 SSD w/ 2TB Seagate HD|EK-FB R3Gene Nickel+Acetal(Fully working) & Asus-1 WB|EK Supreme HF Full Nickel Edition|EK 5970 Nickel+Acetal, XSPC 5870 FC w/ EK Backplate|XSPC RX360+Black Ice Stealth 120+MCR120, D655,XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25 Res for D5 |Coolermaster Cosmos S w/Sidewindow|3 Samsung 205Bw LCDs in Eyefinity

Xtreme Member
    I like the EK blocks better.
    /_/_/_ | Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz | Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB DDR3 1600 | 2 x ATI 4850 Crossfire Enabled | WD Velociraptor 300GB | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Corsair HX1000W | Antec P182 | _\_\_\

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by totalz View Post
    it's been 2 months and EK doesn't give a about us.
    I believe he means the way EK seems to have abandoned the issue. The last word from them was the "results are inconclusive" post on their website. Sure they offered refunds and suspended sales of the block, which is great, but then they totally failed to follow up. Are they still working on a solution? Have they determined how the design is flawed? At this point I have to assume the answer is that they really don't know what caused the failures, and therefore don't know how to fix it. That doesn't sit very well with me either, although that's a topic for another discussion.

I realize this kind of thing happens in the WC world, and for most people this whole issue has been little more than a curiosity. But for those of us who planned builds around this board/block combo, it was a pretty frustrating (and in some cases expensive) experience.

It's clear that EK would like to see this hobby grow toward the mainstream, but IMO in order for that to succeed people will need to be able to trust these kinds of things won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog View Post
    I believe he means the way EK seems to have abandoned the issue. The last word from them was the "results are inconclusive" post on their website. Sure they offered refunds and suspended sales of the block, which is great, but then they totally failed to follow up. Are they still working on a solution? Have they determined how the design is flawed? At this point I have to assume the answer is that they really don't know what caused the failures, and therefore don't know how to fix it. That doesn't sit very well with me either, although that's a topic for another discussion.

I realize this kind of thing happens in the WC world, and for most people this whole issue has been little more than a curiosity. But for those of us who planned builds around this board/block combo, it was a pretty frustrating (and in some cases expensive) experience.

It's clear that EK would like to see this hobby grow toward the mainstream, but IMO in order for that to succeed people will need to be able to trust these kinds of things won't happen.
    Agree'd at this point, I'm not gonna bother WC the mobo.. Waste of money that EK block, where is my refund? :p

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's been said in this thread, to return it to your retailer for a full refund. just the last few pages have been nothing but bull pucky.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

I'd bought mine directly from EK. I've just contacted Gregor Hribernik from EK as he'd been in touch with me about the block (looking for feedback). Lets see whats said.

Well that was quick!

Hello,

Please send block back (with cheapest option) to address in my signature.
    After receiving it we will refund you.

Lep pozdrav/Best regards/MfG/Cordialement
    Guess that's what I'll do.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast