Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: More Sandy Bridge performance numbers (+Rumoured Pricing)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    AMD already decided to adopt AVX so there is no other AMD standart on the horizon therefore there is no reason for Intel to lowering prices because of AVX.
    Sorry my bad, somehow I still thought AMD were going to use SSE5.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_oslo View Post
    Yep, ~20% increase on CPU is a lot. It doesn't happen every day, that's a 2-years events. I hope we can get the same ~20% on high-end SB when it gets out, then it will be really interesting, but maybe that's too much to ask.

The best part with these CB is the shrink. 32nm is much cooler and power efficient.
    Totally agree with you mate, That being said though I actually hope these are massive overclockers because being cooler and more power efficient just defeats to purpose of us overclockers

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seems like these chips will be nice toys.
    Still buying BD though. If it isn't seriously botched.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    ~20% performance increase plus a die shrink on the world's already fastest CPU architecture works for me.
    Well said; I'm curious how Intel will introduce SB into their Highend market. Their roadmaps still show Gulftown/Westmere there for a while. Ocotocores just sounds sooo much cooler than hexacore, wherzz da 0ctocoarz!!
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    I don't think that's a good performance comparison.
    Turbo Mode on SNB will be pretty different (let's say the next level/gen. ) over NHM, will allow to go even higher, etc.. Sorry, can't give out more details..

I think all participating in this discussion know that the SB uarch. will have much more aggressive Turbo boost feature but some want to believe this one sample just had it off or not at max allowed multi(hence the "IPC" of 20% talk).
    In any case the increase is good,no matter how they got there.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sweeper_ View Post
    23/24% faster in int/FP at the same base clock is good either way..
    While it sounds great, it only applies to the algorithms Geekbench uses to measure int/fp performance. The algorithms most probably have been crafted for maximum throughput by minimizing cache misses and branch mispredictions, fully utilizing the execution pipelines, and using small data set to minimize the impact on memory operations. However, with less optimal algorithms the gains will be severely smaller, e.g. those found in "real world" applications.

The interesting thing is the memory performance. If with lower bandwidth and higher latency there is a +20 % increase in int/fp performance, the int/fp performance should increase even more with proper bandwidth/low latencies.
    Last edited by Calmatory; 08-06-2010 at 03:08 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    No, more off topic..
    Here I was telling you to go get some Mike's hard Lemonade and then remembered that I'd bought a six pack a couple weeks back.
    First liquor I've had in months..
    oops, first bottle is done, time for number 2..
    Dude, where in NH are you? I'm going to have to steal some of those, assuming any are left.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    I think all participating in this discussion know that the SB uarch. will have much more aggressive Turbo boost feature but some want to believe this one sample just had it off or not at max allowed multi(hence the "IPC" of 20% talk).
    What's your point ? That an SB engineering sample with an early stepping, in the course of validation, significantly out-clocked the I7 ?

Mind you, the i7 being tested was the i7 720QM model.

Base: 1.60GHz
    1 core: 2.80GHz
    2 cores: 2.40GHz
    3-4 cores: 1.73GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Read the Mumak's comment,he is the author of HWINFO application and he knows his stuff(under NDA of course).If he says this thing can outclock Nehalem, it can.

HWiNFO Author
    or:
    - the cooling was not sufficient (CPU, VR) to allow more headroom
    - the PCU was not tuned (early ES)

HWiNFO Author
    Wait.. I didn't say anything I can't even confirm the existence of.... What Sandy?? The one on the bridge?? Wow, she's nice!
    No, no it

Read the Mumak's comment,he is the author of HWINFO application and he knows his stuff(under NDA of course).If he says this thing can outclock Nehalem, it can.
    Last edited by Mumak; 08-06-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well we understand the situation so no more SB talk!

Xtreme Mentor
    or:
    - the cooling was not sufficient (CPU, VR) to allow more headroom
    - the PCU was not tuned (early ES)
    Wait.. I didn't say anything I can't even confirm the existence of.... What Sandy?? The one on the bridge?? Wow, she's nice!
    No, no it
    Stop giving out Intel secrets or i'll report you then no funding from Intel ohh wait

Also i heard sandy will be single soon
    Coming Soon

HWiNFO Author
    Plz wait until I finish me 2nd house! Need a bit more $$$
    But I'm not and can't handle a dual-core system in parallel Moreover, the little co-processor I have is sucking most resources..

Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Stop giving out Intel secrets or i'll report you then no funding from Intel ohh wait

Also i heard sandy will be single soon
    Last edited by Mumak; 08-06-2010 at 05:10 AM.

I am Xtreme
    is there a simple answer whether or not the benchmarks were both done at exactly 1.6ghz? im still lost about what turbo features might or might now have been on.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    is there a simple answer whether or not the benchmarks were both done at exactly 1.6ghz? im still lost about what turbo features might or might now have been on.
    +1
    I expect SB to score higher than current CPU's, but the question is how much.

I am Xtreme
    i did a little clicking around on that geekbench site, and its a real pain trying to find something useful, but i did come across a dell laptop with a i7 920 at 1.6ghz

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/275724

Integer Processor integer performance 3940
    Floating Point Processor floating point performance 4194
    Memory Memory performance 2501
    Stream Memory bandwidth performance 3038
    Total : 3650

Xtreme Addict
    23 & 24 % increase in performance could possibly indicate 25 % increase in clock speed, from 1.6 GHz to 2 GHz, minus the small penalty from slower RAM.

Xtreme Member
    I might have missed this in the 3 pages that i just read but...

Maybe the Sandy Bridge platform is running on not dual channel DDR3?

Previous benchmarks have shown that Sandy Bridge has very high memory bandwidth (higher than Nehalem) yet in the benchmarks shown show a different story.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
    I might have missed this in the 3 pages that i just read but...

Maybe the Sandy Bridge platform is running on not dual channel DDR3?

Previous benchmarks have shown that Sandy Bridge has very high memory bandwidth (higher than Nehalem) yet in the benchmarks shown show a different story.
    Which benchmarks have shown that? I can hardly believe that SB could nearly(x1.93) double the memory performance. What I believe is RAM running at lower speed. E.g. 1600 vs 1866 MHz. There, the difference would be approx 14 %.

What kind of efficiencies are the current Intel offerings getting at memory bandwidth?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    *cough* saaya *cough*

These parts will obviously rape llano, whenever AMD manages to get those to market, and the 6- & 8-cores will do a number on BD.

Even with the memory subsystem clearly not tuned right, the scores are impressive. And check out the HT improvements in multi-threading. Guess that extra load port helps a bit.

There are also some issues of Win 7 vs Win XP , different memory sizes & speeds...
    yeah I noticed, it was suposed to be faster in the memory department right?
    that brought the scores down a bit...

awesome multi-threaded performance + awesome single-threaded performance

Xtreme X.I.P.
    from what ive seen and heard of that 20% is a best case scenario, NOT average...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Which benchmarks have shown that? I can hardly believe that SB could nearly(x1.93) double the memory performance. What I believe is RAM running at lower speed. E.g. 1600 vs 1866 MHz. There, the difference would be approx 14 %.

What kind of efficiencies are the current Intel offerings getting at memory bandwidth?
    http://forum.coolaler.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=22

I don't know how solid these benchmarks are but the LGA1155 has a dual channel memory controller and according to the first everest benchmark, it can keep/beat a X58 tripple channel DDR3-1333 in read performance and write (2nd picture).

Xtreme Addict
    Where there are the RAM speeds mentioned? Without them it doesn't really say anything other than SB has achieved more bandwidth at double channel than current CPUs @ triple channel DDR3-1333. For example DDR3-2133 @ double channel has higher theoretical bandwidth than DDR3-1333 @ triple channel. Actually DDR3-1866 @ double gets very near too.

DDR3-1333 @ 3ch: 32 GB/s
    DDR3-1866 @ 2ch: 29.8 GB/s
    DDR3-2133 @ 2ch: 34.1 GB/s

If the RAM speed isn't known what if the SB uses DDR3-1866 instead of DDR3-1333? It can be completely other story if the RAM speed is known. And it would be quite stupid if there was no improvement on the memory subsystem..

Xtreme Mentor
    It is too early to say anything for sure about the RAM on SB yet, but
    Westmere and Gulftown had actually a drop on RAM-performance ( up to 15% on read and 30% on write and copy, if i recall right). That was because of the increased latency caused by that huge 12MB Cache.

SB will probably introduce a big change to the IMC/RAM to address this issue, and the it will get much better, at least I hope so, and in case it will break the price on current RAM too, hopefully.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast