Thread: Moral of the story?

L-l-look at you, hacker.

Moral of the story?

Reuters:
    A Michigan man credited his dog with saving his life by chewing off his diseased big toe as he lay passed out in a drunken stupor.

Jerry Douthett, 48, woke up on a Saturday night in late July in his Rockford, Michigan home to find his Jack Russell Terrier, Kiko, had gnawed off his right big toe.

"The dog always lays with me on the bed," said Douthett. "That night, I woke up and looked down at my foot, and it was wet. When I looked it was blood, and there was the dog looking at me with a blood mustache."

Douthett's wife, Rosee, rushed him to a hospital where doctors found he was suffering from Type 2 diabetes. His toe was badly infected and surgeons amputated the remainder of the digit.

Douthett's wife, a registered nurse, had been urging him for weeks to have his infected toe examined by a doctor.

On the night Kiko ate his toe, Douthett said he had been out with his wife and drank about "six or seven beers" and a pair of giant margaritas "big enough to put goldfish in."

"I was self-medicating at this point," he said. "The moral of the story is that the dog saved my life, because otherwise I never would have gone in to see a doctor."

The couple said they were amazed that Kiko appeared to know Douthett had an infection that needed treatment.

"He kind of chewed off the infected part and stopped at the good bone," said Rosee. "We joked that we shouldn't have had to pay the co-pay because he did half the job by chewing off half of the toe."
    NO. THE DOG ATE YOUR TOE. The DOG ate your TOE. The moral of the story is you should GET A NEW DOG.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Depends from which side you look at it.
    Made me laugh though

Love will tear us apart
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Reuters:

NO. THE DOG ATE YOUR TOE. The DOG ate your TOE. The moral of the story is you should GET A NEW DOG.
    Um dude it saved this morons life wtf are you talking about? Now whether the dog is to blame for getting in the way of what would have otherwise been a much-deserved Darwin Award is debatable.

Seriously, it's gross and a bit disturbing but also pretty awesome. Dogs can even detect cancer with their incredible sense of smell. And there's a cat in a hospital somewhere that goes and lays with patients right before they are about to die. The thing is like 40 and 0 on predicting imminent death. And apparently instead of finding the cat frightening or morbid most of the patients are comforted by it's sudden presence during their last moments.
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post

But seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyVillain View Post
    Um dude it saved this morons life wtf are you talking about? Now whether the dog is to blame for getting in the way of what would have otherwise been a much-deserved Darwin Award is debatable.

Seriously, it's gross and a bit disturbing but also pretty awesome. Dogs can even detect cancer with their incredible sense of smell. And there's a cat in a hospital somewhere that goes and lays with patients right before they are about to die. The thing is like 40 and 0 on predicting imminent death. And apparently instead of finding the cat frightening or morbid most of the patients are comforted by it's sudden presence during their last moments.
    Cat's "Sixth Sense" Predicting Death?
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 08-05-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyVillain View Post

Did the dog want to "save his life" by supernaturally realizing his master's toe was going to do him in? Or was the dog simply hungry because the drunk guy passed out with his toe falling off forgot to feed him and that smelled like a tasty decomposing meat popsicle? I would put my money on the hungry dog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

c[_]
    I wouldnt, but i'd also not get rid of the dog for that.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    I probably would... that's just messed up that the dog would do that. He ate a part of his owners body! That's just so far past the line. Hell no. And how did this guy not bleed to death???
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    dog > cat is the moral of this story
    we going shh around the corner

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    I probably would... that's just messed up that the dog would do that. He ate a part of his owners body! That's just so far past the line. Hell no. And how did this guy not bleed to death???
    Because theres no major artery in the toe? Reason people "bleed out" so to speak is when they get cut, or shot, or stabbed, or whatever in an area near or at, a major artery. the further away, the longer it will take to bleed out, eventually getting to things like the extremities, where there just isn't enough flow to ever bleed out. for example, a paper cut or even a very bad scrape or deep cut won't bleed out because it heals faster than the flow of blood.

I don't know if its possible to bleed out from having your toe cut off and left unbandaged(if it heals fast enough), but even if it is, it would take a VERY LONG TIME

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

-150c Club Member
    Eat your pets before they eat you!

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

I don't like dogs, personally, but I'd have to say there's a chance he acted that way because of the odd circumstances. It wouldn't be the first instance of a dog helping his owner out in a time of need. Would it have comprehended "Hey, this toe is infected and about to kill the guy because he's an untreated diabetic."? Of course not. Doesn't mean it didn't have some idea of the thing needing to come off. Animals get wounded and have developed mechanisms to deal with it such as licking. Is this such a jump?

Inevitably, some of you are going to answer, "Yes". It was a rhetorical question. The correct answer is "no".
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna View Post

I don't know if its possible to bleed out from having your toe cut off and left unbandaged(if it heals fast enough), but even if it is, it would take a VERY LONG TIME
    One cannot "bleed out" from a digit that has been cut off or eaten off, unless there is an anticoagulant in the system.
    Lurking since 2006

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drteming View Post
    One cannot "bleed out" from a digit that has been cut off or eaten off, unless there is an anticoagulant in the system.
    To add to that, the toe was rotting, so there was little if any blood circulation in it.