Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: External Setups - Curious on your thoughts

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post

weak sauce

well what else u expect me to do?

Bust out the 1/2 inch copper tubing, a torch and some solder along with a tube bender?

Oh wait koolance has pipe fittings for that even.. i wouldnt need solder.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Never go full retard
    and nickel plate it too!

Chasing After Diety
    well if i stacked the res next to the rad like in option 3, i would give me more room on the roof.

The loop up im not worried about, i was intending on running bitspower 90's anyhow to get in tight spots.
    There is no other reason why i would also run dual ddc's besides redundancy.
    I was already assuming it would be a restrictive setup.

The key factor i am working on is:

1. Bling... its an external, it has to reek of bling, almost on a level of Darth Beavis.
    2. Sturdy.... were gonna assume its gonna be carried around a lot. Lan partys. It has to be able to handle stress to some degree.
    3. Efficient... if its not able to keep in check your core hardware + a gpu, whats the point in it?

Lets see how many of the main objectives i end up keeping at the end of this venture.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 08-10-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    NaeKuh: use teleport for tubing. Mini teleport gate fittings might cost a fortune though.

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Here is my "External Setup" idea.

Still need to figure out how to power the unit..... feel free to chime in if you have any suggestions.

Chasing After Diety
    some updates:

Had to ditch dual ddc's in lue of just one.
    Needed the space.

Side mounting FTW!

And hard mounted everything:

waiting on fans and psu now.

Never go full retard
    Since Naekuh won't listen over IM, I want to go on record and say I disagree with the setup of this area...
    Last edited by skinnee; 08-15-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    i wonder how long Naekuh will work on this project...

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Since Naekuh won't listen over IM, I want to go on record and say I disagree with the setup of this area...
    lol, no kidding!

I recall a time not long ago when certain people lambasted other innocent folks for what they considered to be superfluous use of elbows - oh how times have changed.

and that reservoir... it screams "compensation".

"is that a reservoir in your radbox or are u just happy to see me?" - oh great, now I'm channeling DarthBeavis.

Xtreme Addict
    Naekuh loves overcompensating with his reservoirs.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

T, we talked about this years ago, what changed your mind? And to your power question, why not make a molex extention from the main psu?
    Q6600@ 3.4 Underwater, P5E-VM HDMI, 4GB OCZ 5,5,5,15 EVGA 8800GT, P.C.P.&C 610w

Xtreme Member
    Just a thought about the res situation. If the rad and everything is external, then whats the need of the res. Why not T-line it or use a res top for the DDC and just tilt the external box you have it in for bleeding? I understand the bling of the res, and hey you already have the res. I'm just kinda lost on the design I guess. Maybe once its done it'll look so good that we'll all say its was worth it. I'm very curious as to how well it will perform.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    <3 BITSPOWER

there is nothing u cant route without the help of bitspower
    this quote sums up my life.
    you and i could be like sisters NaeKuh.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=2759

the setup in this is so simple, and i love it.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_h View Post
    lol, no kidding!

I recall a time not long ago when certain people lambasted other innocent folks for what they considered to be superfluous use of elbows - oh how times have changed.

and that reservoir... it screams "compensation".

"is that a reservoir in your radbox or are u just happy to see me?" - oh great, now I'm channeling DarthBeavis.
    LOL... but but... yours were nylon 90's, not bitspower! :O
    No but on a serious note, i think martin recorded them to have very low flow loss, and i couldnt get tubing in a bend radius like that.
    Oh and yes everything is internal, and the lid fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Naekuh loves overcompensating with his reservoirs.
    Bigger the Better..
    But seriously, lets assume Cpu + GPU + Chipset possibly.
    Im fairly sure that res full wouldnt be enough to fully bleed the system.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    T, we talked about this years ago, what changed your mind? And to your power question, why not make a molex extention from the main psu?
    Couldnt have everything internal.
    Got a 5amp external psu, with a molex head, and yes i have a switch now, so you can turn the system on and off via switch on the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Harlock View Post
    Just a thought about the res situation. If the rad and everything is external, then whats the need of the res. Why not T-line it or use a res top for the DDC and just tilt the external box you have it in for bleeding? I understand the bling of the res, and hey you already have the res. I'm just kinda lost on the design I guess. Maybe once its done it'll look so good that we'll all say its was worth it. I'm very curious as to how well it will perform.
    bleeding.
    The last fan hole i have a tube going down as a fillport to that long hard piped 90.

Yup, that hard pipe'd section is a fill port only.

Thats my fillport noob.

Oh you mean outlet on the pump?
    The only other recourse was to run tubing across the unit by putting the rad on the other end.
    Honestly, i think that will look too messy and probably equal the same resistance tubing wise as that complex i created.
    Care to test it cam? I estimate i would need at least 400mm x 2 of tubing to get from one end of the box to the other.

So roughly 800mm... which is almost 3 feet.
    So you think that complex has greater resistance then 3 feet of tubing?

And yes u whore thats a dplug in between those very wide open bored KL swivel 90's.
    So i kept the inner bore as big as possible.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 08-16-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Xtreme Member

external single rad box

I use an external rad box for several reasons. First, it allows me to easily maintain the setup. Secondly it fits conveniently behind the desk, removing fan noise from the user area. I prefer tech benches instead of cases.

After several designs I settled on a vertical cabinet where the radiator is mounted horrizontally and the airflow goes from bottom to top. I am using a GTX 480 with Sythe Ultra Kaze 2k's in a push/pull configuration with 38mm shrouds on each fan. The box is lined with sound dampening foam and has a removable end panel to allow the rad to easily slide out. I use 2 molex 4 slot power blocks to distribute the power to the fans, mounted to the side. The box is mounted on 4 posts to allow a large open intake area, with a light mesh around the sides for dust filtration and sound room "wedge" foam on the bottom to prevent reflected sound. The floor plate is wider than the rad, to one side I have the resevoir, dual pumps and on an elevated platform an Earthwatts 300 watt power supply connected to the green lead on the main power supply so everything switches on together. The floor panel is tubbed, so any leaks will be self contained. I use the large Koolance quick connects to connect tubing to the pc loop. Everything is modular for ease of connect/disconnect. I also have inline temp and flow monitors, a temp probe for intake and exhaust temp mounted. All is controlled from a desk mounted Koolance controller, where I usually run the fans at 40%, but with daytime highs in the mid 90's I am currently running them at 60%. I am very pleased with this setup and have used it for over a year with excellent results. Flushing and refilling is easy and all I do is disconnect the box and take it out back to blow the dust out. I really strived for ease of maintenance with this build.

I plan on building a dual rad box this fall if health allows, this time using sheet metal ductwork to draw intake from below the house through a floor register opening and route exhaust air the same way, lowering noise and introducing colder air to the radiator. Eventually going geothermal- servers generate too much heat!

Good luck!

Chasing After Diety
    so guys i got the psu.

Also the GT's arrived, and i finished sleeving each and every one of them.

I should be wraping this project up this weekend.

Yes i mean to actually finish it, then i'll probably loan it out to a few of my friends who go out to lan parties to get feedback on it

Then i will probably send feedback to Tim and see if he can give us something good.

Never go full retard
    so guys i got the psu.

Also the GT's arrived, and i finished sleeving each and every one of them.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Chasing After Diety
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    meh... as i said parents stole my new camera.. you guys are gonna need to wait for me to get that otherwise i will have to torcher you guys more with my craptastic camera phone.

I am Xtreme
    meh... as i said parents stole my new camera.. you guys are gonna need to wait for me to get that otherwise i will have to torcher you guys more with my craptastic camera phone.
    If they'd be anything like the last few pics you've posted, they're some of the better pics you've posted. You just need to hold still a bit longer while it's taking the pic to get rid of the blur.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    meh... as i said parents stole my new camera..
    Parents? How old are you NaeKuh?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I though he was fairly old as he appears to have money to build a 10K system every 6 months

So far it is looking pretty cool. I got to redo my WC setup as the loop 2 pump had its cabled cut at its base becuase they were too close to the side panel when in transport mode. Now I got to redo that section and make the new pump closer to the rad so the cables will be safe. I am also going to take this time to upgrade my qds with higher flow ones that came out a few months ago.

One thing I learned from my recent build is how much going with a simple modular design has helped. When my second loop pump stopped working I just removed the entire loop in 20 seconds.

This build looks like a lot of fun and I can say that once you go out of using just one case there is no going back

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    If they'd be anything like the last few pics you've posted, they're some of the better pics you've posted. You just need to hold still a bit longer while it's taking the pic to get rid of the blur.
    Yup, at least the flash has gone missing, which is definitely a good thing . Get a tripod when you get your camera back, and stop using flash. No matter how much your camera sucks, a tripod + no flash usually gives decent enough pictures not to damage our eyes .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    Parents? How old are you NaeKuh?
    lolz in my 30ies.

i own a house, used to live by myself, realized it was pointless.

im not married, and i have no kids.

Anyhow my parents live in a hugh house. 6 bedroom + and have maid service.

So i figured.. sublease my house, get the income off that, and help my parents on the extra services at the main house.

well thats my plan until i get a girlfriend again to move out with.

But im not looking forward to that anytime soon.

Also my mom is my senior business partner, so it makes more sense to go out to work with her in the morning via car pool.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lolz in my 30ies.

i own a house, used to live by myself, realized it was pointless.

im not married, and i have no kids.

Anyhow my parents live in a hugh house. 6 bedroom + and have maid service.

So i figured.. sublease my house, get the income off that, and help my parents on the extra services at the main house.

well thats my plan until i get a girlfriend again to move out with.

But im not looking forward to that anytime soon.

Also my mom is my senior business partner, so it makes more sense to go out to work with her in the morning via car pool.
    What do you do for work btw?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast