Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GTX 460 aftermarket coolers

Xtreme Addict
    Yes. Make a bracket and strap it on! I bet it'll drop your temps.
    I did manage to get it up to 41c after about 1 hour of furmark (from my loop warming up). Next I plan to make a heatsink for the vregs before I go into major OC mode. I have it at 850/1700/2000 @ 1volt stable now.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Just threw my palit on water. Using a swiftech mcw80 and so far my temps are topping out at 38C at 875 (1volt). I have not played with voltages yet but think my vregs are holding me back. At 900 I run into problems. I have a small 80X15 fan hanging from the end of the card but I think I need to add something with a little more oomph.

Josh

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by azureoval View Post
    Just threw my palit on water. Using a swiftech mcw80 and so far my temps are topping out at 38C at 875 (1volt). I have not played with voltages yet but think my vregs are holding me back. At 900 I run into problems. I have a small 80X15 fan hanging from the end of the card but I think I need to add something with a little more oomph.

Josh
    Im going to play with clocks and volts in the morning, but I'd be willing to bet the next voltage step will get you to 900.
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/vima...gtx_460_oc.jpg
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    Im going to play with clocks and volts in the morning, but I'd be willing to bet the next voltage step will get you to 900.
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/vima...gtx_460_oc.jpg
    I ran "heaven" @ 900 (1.012V) and it ran through with two "glitches" that I saw. I think at 1.087 I might be good. I may have to flash the bios to get more voltage adjustment. Still under 40c at 900 so that is good news.

Josh

I am Xtreme
    I have three of the Koolance VID-NX460 blocks on the way. Hopefully they should arrive by the middle of next week. These Zotac cards have atrocious stock cooling.

Xtreme Addict
    I ran "heaven" @ 900 (1.012V) and it ran through with two "glitches" that I saw. I think at 1.087 I might be good. I may have to flash the bios to get more voltage adjustment. Still under 40c at 900 so that is good news.

Josh
    Mine takes 1.075v for 900 to be stable

Im a little upset with my gigabyte cards, when i run stability test with the MSI Kombuster the temps get super hi, im not comfy with my card(s) hittin 80c within 5 mins of testing.. And nobody makes any WCing blocks for these..Sux
    Well i called up newegg and i get to RMA the cards back! Im gonna put these babies under water so what other brand would you guys recommend? I wanna put on the EK fullcover blocks
    Last edited by Aedubber; 08-21-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Here Is my Palit decked out in enzotech heatsinks and a MCW80
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image01123.jpg 
Views:	11651 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	106893  

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    Im a little upset with my gigabyte cards, when i run stability test with the MSI Kombuster the temps get super hi, im not comfy with my card(s) hittin 80c within 5 mins of testing.
    My Zotacs have no problem hitting 99C under Furmark.

Xtreme Mentor
    Im a little upset with my gigabyte cards, when i run stability test with the MSI Kombuster the temps get super hi, im not comfy with my card(s) hittin 80c within 5 mins of testing.. And nobody makes any WCing blocks for these..Sux
    Well i called up newegg and i get to RMA the cards back! Im gonna put these babies under water so what other brand would you guys recommend? I wanna put on the EK fullcover blocks
    Is that at stock speeds? Because I saw someone else with two gigabytes in SLI hitting 99 degrees in Furmark at stock speed.

Heres my MSIs, nice and cool at stock speed, acceptable when overclocked:

So is this Cyclone cooler better than Gigabytes dual fan cooler? It could most likely be due to slot spacing, on my R3E, I have 3 free slots between the two cards, with an intake fan right next to the PCI-E power connectors, one main reason for why I changed to that board after having a 4870 die on my UD5.

Ya i mean i had both cards right next to each other and i dont have any fans in my case.. But i already setup a RMA , ordered 2 EVGA superclocked 1gb cards and then im slapping the EK fullcover waterblocks on them lol..
    HEATWARE

Xtreme Mentor
    Yea never run SLI / Crossfire on air with standard 2 slot spacing per card without additional cooling fans. Have an R3E or board with similar spacing for that.

The Standard 2 slot spacing works great with a side fan placed above them though, but I would really expect those dual fan Gigabyte versions to manage on their own in SLI without requiring extra case cooling.

I tried installing a Powercolor PCI fan card, Akasa Exhaust blower, and Zalman fan bracket to help with my current cards. The PCI slot coolers / exhausts made absolutely no difference (placed in the slot above card 2, furthest from card 1). The Zalman bracket touched the cards heatsinks due to their height, made a lovely conductor and increased temperatures at both idle and full load by 7 degrees.

Increasing airflow does absolutely nothing to improve the MSI Cyclone coolers, a very good sign that the heatsinks are exceptionally efficient and managing to draw heat away from the cards very well, regardless of how much air is blowing onto them.

Its the first cooler ever that I dont even want to remove to replace the TIM, in case I end up making it worse than it is right out of the box. I want all my future cards to have it.
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-21-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Xtreme Addict

VRM Heatsink

I built a Heatsink for the Vregs.

Temps on gpucore came down 2c, and the really interesting thing is my games run smoother. Before the heatsink I had alot of pausey/herky/jerky stuff happening in BC2 with the occasional crash, even at stock clocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I built a Heatsink for the Vregs.

Temps on gpucore came down 2c, and the really interesting thing is my games run smoother. Before the heatsink I had alot of pausey/herky/jerky stuff happening in BC2 with the occasional crash, even at stock clocks.
    Nice Job on the Heatsink. I wonder if one large sink would be better than my little enzotech's?

Xtreme Addict
    @azur

Your prolly just fine with your enzo setup.

however im having something very strange going on. when i first put the heatsink on i just put it on bare and all was good. i then dug up some silicone pads and placed them between the heatsink and the vregs, and well it started acting up, crashing etc.. i thought hmm? is the silicone thermal pads electrically conductive? so I removed the pads and placed the heatsink on bare once again and all is well, no crashing. I then pulled it of and placed a very very small amount of white silicone paste on top of each mosfet then replaced the heatsink, and bam crashing again!!! So wtf? I pulled it off once again cleaned all the thermal paste off, and replace the heatsink, and then compleatly stable once again..

Weird Huh?

I guess i'll try something non-silicone based like ceramique next...
    Last edited by CrazyNutz; 08-26-2010 at 05:40 PM.

@azur

Your prolly just fine with your enzo setup.

however im having something very strange going on. when i first put the heatsink on i just put it on bare and all was good. i then dug up some silicone pads and placed them between the heatsink and the vregs, and well it started acting up, crashing etc.. i thought hmm? is the silicone thermal pads electrically conductive? so I removed the pads and placed the heatsink on bare once again and all is well, no crashing. I then pulled it of and placed a very very small amount of white silicone paste on top of each mosfet then replaced the heatsink, and bam crashing again!!! So wtf? I pulled it off once again cleaned all the thermal paste off, and replace the heatsink, and then compleatly stable once again..

Weird Huh?

I guess i'll try something non-silicone based like ceramique next...
    Yeah, I would try ceramigue. You never know what could be grounding out.
    When I placed my enzo's I made sure they did't touch just to be sure. I even wrap my Zalman Bracket with elec. tape when I use it.
    Have you tried thin thermal tape? It seems to work better than thick pads.

Josh

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, I would try ceramigue. You never know what could be grounding out.
    When I placed my enzo's I made sure they did't touch just to be sure. I even wrap my Zalman Bracket with elec. tape when I use it.
    Have you tried thin thermal tape? It seems to work better than thick pads.

Josh
    The crazy thing is absolutely nothing is grounding, or shorting out, or touching anything but the very top of the mosfets. The thermal grease was applied with a toothpick so nothing even came close to seeping over the edge.

Im thinking i'll just leave it on dry with no thermal interface material at all since
    the heatsink by it self has made a huge improvement on stability and smooth frame rate.

I can't help but wonder if this problem is the real reason why palit is shipping these without the full cover vreg heatsinks.

Xtreme Addict
    It's too bad there aren't any waterblocks for the 460 that don't cost half (exagerrated a tad) as much as the GPU itself... I'd love to watercool these guys.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

I got my 2 EK fullcover blocks on the way :P .. had to order from Canada tho
    HEATWARE

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    It's too bad there aren't any waterblocks for the 460 that don't cost half (exagerrated a tad) as much as the GPU itself... I'd love to watercool these guys.
    It wouldn't be too hard to make a bracket if you have a free piece of aluminum/steel and have a nibbler. I had no problem making a bracket for an Xbox 360 for a MCW60. Although my hands were extremely sore afterwards.
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=3044
    I got my 2 EK fullcover blocks on the way :P .. had to order from Canada tho
    From Dazmode? How was the shipping cost?

Xtreme Mentor
    I just used Akasa thermal tape on my enzotech sinks, its a pain cutting it down to the right size. I also added a side fan. I'll put my pictures in this thread too too:

Xtreme Member
    Desperately waiting for the Thermalright bracket to install my HR-03

I can't bare the noise that emanates from my Galaxy SLI setup
    Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | CPU: Intel i7 920@4.2Ghz | Mem: Mushkin 1600 3x2gb | PSU: Corsair HX850 | GPU: x2 GTX 460 1Gb SLI | Vista Win7 X64

Finaly
    I've trimmed right side of HR-03GT, put on Scythe Slipstream 1600rpm fan
    and installed it on Gainward GTX460 GS
    Temps on idle are around 33°C (91°F) and max 62°C (143°F) after two hours of Kombustor
    The noise is not even comparable to stock cooler , but the downside is that all heat is dumped inside the case and you can forget SLI

without fan

with fan

from top

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notechis View Post
    Finaly
    I've trimmed right side of HR-03GT, put on Scythe Slipstream 1600rpm fan
    and installed it on Gainward GTX460 GS
    Temps on idle are around 33°C (91°F) and max 62°C (143°F) after two hours of Kombustor
    The noise is not even comparable to stock cooler , but the downside is that all heat is dumped inside the case and you can forget SLI

without fan

with fan

from top
    Nice !!!!
    Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | CPU: Intel i7 920@4.2Ghz | Mem: Mushkin 1600 3x2gb | PSU: Corsair HX850 | GPU: x2 GTX 460 1Gb SLI | Vista Win7 X64

Has anyone tried fitting a Prolimatech MK-13 to a Palit/Gainward GTX460 yet?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast