Thread: Major problems with hardware components not booting up!!

Major problems with hardware components not booting up!!

Hello everyone,

I've been a silent reader of this site for a long time and most often I'm able to find some sort of head and tails to my computer related problems through searching here or some other site, but with my current one; I am completely stumped!

Basically my 8800gts(512) on the pci-e 1x16 simply will not boot! Infact, its not even on. I believe some re-cap at this point is necessary:

This all started when one beautiful day as I'm cruising the internet highway my Scythe Kaze Server fan control panel all-a-sudden flips-out and makes all my fans spin at maximum speed. Perhaps a little naively I panic and press the reset button, my computer along with all my hardware boot-up fine BUT not the panel itself. I opened up the sides, checked all cables, even switched molexes which were powering the panel but, the panel will not power up regardless of how many times I boot-up the computer. Thing is: the very next day in the morning as I turned on the computer the panel also turned on without any problems.. (Previously I had noticed the panel numbers would sometimes blink on and off but disregarded it.)

A few days go by and I finally receice my EK-Supreme HF in the mail. I decide to install it in place and the whole process goes without any major complications, I turn on the computer in order to check all the bios setting etc and everything seems to work fine, UNTIL I plug in all the "extra" fans onto the Kaze panel and reboot. As I try to turn on the computer, I notice that my gpu's aren't working (or aren't on) since my screen shows an orange light as if computer was off but the computer was clearly on. After many reboots I'm able to have the screen show the boot-up (except my mouse and keyboard aren't on) since bios start-up warns me of "no keyboard" but eventually I get into windows but only after I switch the screens DVI connector to the mid gpu, the 9800gtx+. (Notice I have 2x8800gts(512) in SLi and a 9800gtx+ as my physx card). Windows boots up fine but has to reinstall my USB drivers.. At this point I'm just glad that I get into windows meaning I didn't loose all my stuff. I shut-down the computer, switch the DVI-connector to the top gpu (8800gts) and reboot. Reboots fine and SLi is on. But this is not the end of the story..

During the installation process of the Supreme I had naturally taken off all the cables from the back including my speakers cables. My computer is on and I thought, why not connect the rest of the cables. The second I plug in the 3,5mm jacks to the back of my soundcard the top most gpu literally stops working!!!.. Same old orange light and the screen stays black if the DVI is connected to the 1st gpu. As before I plug the DVi to the 2nd gpu, get into windows and check in Device manager that the first gpu isn't recognized, as in not even listed! Even Nvidia control panel only shows 2 gpu's, the middle 9800gtx+ and the bottom (Sli) 8800gts.. And now, regardless of what I do, I cannot get the first gpu on. (Notice that before I plugged in the jacks all my 3 gpu's were working fine.)

This problem is so far ahead of me that I really don't have a frackin' clue on what to do. I do have a few educated guesses though: either my PSU is feeding faulty current, my MB is finally giving up or then some hardware component is to blame..

A quick list of the components:
    -Intel Q6600
    -MB: P5N32-e SLI PLUS
    - 4xG.Skill 2gb DDR2
    -2x8800gts(512) in SLi
    -9800gtx+ (Physx card - got it for cheap)
    -Chieftec 750W PSU
    -(my whole computer is watercooled)

I apologize for the long read and appreciate anyone who bothers to read this! And maybe give me some feed back

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I would suspect motherboard - time to start narrowing down possibilities. Test your cards in another machine, test your motherboard with another graphics card.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism