Thread: GTX 560 Ti 448 on water

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ

GTX 560 Ti 448 on water

I'll try to be quick. I'm pretty frustrated, because I've been searching these and other forums for hours now, and I need to stop.

I have a new EVGA 560 Ti Classified. It is not reference design. I was not going to liquid cool it, but now I think I should.

Liquid cooling my 5850 was a total mess that had me grinding down copper sinks and hot gluing all over the PCB to get every tiny VRM under control. Is the 500 series like this at all? Looking under the Classified shroud I notice only the GPU contacts the cooler. This should tell me that the rest, to include memory, should only need some airflow. This worries me because I wonder if it needs the LOUD AND INSANE airflow of the stock fans. I just ordered some aluminum plates but instantly regret it, because I do not want to be outside in December with a Dremel tool cutting stuff again this year.

So, ultimate question is, are non-GPU elements near ignorable when it comes to cooling on the 560 Ti 448 / GTX 570 / etc? I'm honestly not hoping for a MONSTER overclock, just trying to remedy some fannage and terrible idle temps (multiple monitors). I don't want to just forget the fact I have a perfectly good liquid loop still in operation.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    I'll try to be quick. I'm pretty frustrated, because I've been searching these and other forums for hours now, and I need to stop.

I have a new EVGA 560 Ti Classified. It is not reference design. I was not going to liquid cool it, but now I think I should.

Liquid cooling my 5850 was a total mess that had me grinding down copper sinks and hot gluing all over the PCB to get every tiny VRM under control. Is the 500 series like this at all? Looking under the Classified shroud I notice only the GPU contacts the cooler. This should tell me that the rest, to include memory, should only need some airflow. This worries me because I wonder if it needs the LOUD AND INSANE airflow of the stock fans. I just ordered some aluminum plates but instantly regret it, because I do not want to be outside in December with a Dremel tool cutting stuff again this year.

So, ultimate question is, are non-GPU elements near ignorable when it comes to cooling on the 560 Ti 448 / GTX 570 / etc? I'm honestly not hoping for a MONSTER overclock, just trying to remedy some fannage and terrible idle temps (multiple monitors). I don't want to just forget the fact I have a perfectly good liquid loop still in operation.

This is the gtx480 with overclock at 825mhz, the only air flow are those 3 fans blowing at 800/1000rpm.I hope this answers your question.

Last edited by dr.noob; 12-04-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I think you made something wrong with your HD5850 ....

You can WC only the GPU with a universall GPU bloc and add heatsink for the VRMs. Then you just need airflow passing by. Memory dont really need heatsink, only the VRMs get really hot and work alot ( even more if you OC the card ).

Get a universall GPU bloc like the Swiftech MCW80 and some copper heatsink that Swiftech make too. Just make sur to clean VRMs with 99% alcohol to make sure heatsink stick well.
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    What did I do wrong with 5850?

I had to grind down universal 1cm x 1cm copper ramsinks to clear components around VRM. I put the ramsinks on memory as well. VRMs still got incredibly hot and were ultimately what held back overclock... I could do better with multiple high RPM fans right on the sinks, but what's the point of water then?

So yeah, I might be making some more adaptations for this card, not looking forward to it.

EDIT committed now. Not sure why I forgot about this PCB shot from Hi Tech Legion. I was hesitant to start taking stuff apart, unsure if I could finish. Now I know what I need.

I don't have quite enough copper heatsinks for the memory. Several were cut to clear components on the 5850, and now I need as many full-sized ones as possible. As has been mentioned before, this should be fine...

I need to ready myself for the task of attaching the copper heatsinks to the VRMs with hot glue (in a fashion that won't melt the glue during operation). Also need to get some more deionized water, because... of course... the MCW60 needs to be disassembled just to change the mounting plate to the G80 one (99% sure on this). I'm trying really hard to not turn this into a HUGE project, and clean all elements of the loop of leeched tubing chemicals...
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 12-06-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Are there any holes at the back of the card in the VRM area? If there is you will likely find it far easier to buy a Enzotech MST-81, cut it to size and drill new holes then attach it using pushpins or a few screws and nuts with washers.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs