Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: StarCraft II + Anti Aliasing: ATI's Official Response

Xtreme Guru

StarCraft II + Anti Aliasing: ATI's Official Response

Since this game is being released in a few hours, I thought you might want to see ATI's official response to their lack of control panel AA settings.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions but I can see where they're coming with this to a certain extent.

AMD constantly strives to deliver great gaming experiences for our customers and the upcoming launch of Starcraft II is no exception. Blizzard’s focus on incredible game play for all, means that gamers using ATI Radeon(tm) products can enjoy smooth HD gameplay and industry leading image quality with our current generation of ATI Radeon products as well as many of our past generation cards.

In discussions during the development of StarCraft II, Blizzard indicated that they would not initially include options to set levels of in-game anti-aliasing (“AA”). This meant that support for AA within StarCraft II would only be made possible by including it in the driver, an approach that could significantly impact performance......

Read More

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why did Blizzard make it so AA can't be natively enabled in-game?
    That is 100x more efficient than letting the driver add AA everywhere...

Also, does anyone have $60 to spare? T_T

Xtreme Guru
    Blizzard historically likes to roll out these things in updates for some reason. I personally have no idea why...

Xtreme Addict
    It's a weak statement on ATI's part. But if Blizzard adds AA later it won't really matter.

I want ATI to work on the quality difference. Is there any improvement in 10.7?

c[_]
    so...... has anyone renamed the exe and tested AA?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    That wouldn't work since there is no AA option in the game itself so there is nothing to trick.

c[_]
    rename game exe to something that supports AA, force AA in drivers... who cares about the option in the game?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

what i want to know is when the heck are they going to release Diablo III : (

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanabanoid View Post
    +1
    ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
    2500k 4.7ghz
    2X4Gb Ballistix Tactical Tracers
    Diamond HD6950 (unlocked) 2gb
    Enermax REVOLUTION 1050W
    Vertex 2 60Gb & Samsung F3 1TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol, zillions of cash and forgot to include AA ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    lol, zillions of cash and forgot to include AA ?
    and they still cant fix the damn maxed shadow problems in wow
    -.-
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanabanoid View Post
    +2
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    that normally only works on the same engine, i dont get why u would want AA on that game though it wont effect game play
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

If Blizzard dosent see AA as a needed option for the game then I guess there is nothing to discuss here.

Personally im not a fan of forced by drivers options, since that tends to have a lot of unexpected visual problems and glitches.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    guys, we are talking about blizzard here...
    they have always had the WORST engine at the time of release for a new game, and focus on gameplay only...
    what did you expect?

i mean jesus christ, wow mostly looks like a dx7 game...

Xtreme Addict
    I don't understand ANY game that has no AA support in year 2010. FSAA was something casual back in lets say 2005 and having jaggies you can cut yourself on in 2010 is just a huge leap back. What good is all this awesome shading and effects if you still see those damn jaggies.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    what kinda embesile doesn't include in game aa in 2010 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Addict
    this isn't crysis guys.... the game was made to run on the most computers possible. just like WOW. you can't sell a billion copies of a game if there are only 100 computers out there capable of playing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    You don't see the SC2 guys talking 'cause they're all busy playing and not worrying about jaggies that no one will notice overall.

:p

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    this isn't crysis guys.... the game was made to run on the most computers possible. just like WOW. you can't sell a billion copies of a game if there are only 100 computers out there capable of playing it.
    No one is forcing you to use AA, especially if you don't have hardware that is fast enough. But if you don't have a choice of AA and you're running high end card or even a CF-X or SLi, then that is pretty lame. Because there is plenty of power for AA.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    what kinda connection is there between crysis and aa ? aa is common thing in pc industry since i don't know 2000 or something plus nobody forces you to use it every primitive game has an option to disable/enable it
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme Member
    It's just MW2 all over again, region locked muiltiplayer, game split into parts, no lan and no AA. As long as it's not totally unplayable Activision's marketing will make it sell regardless of the questionable things they did.

Xtreme Addict
    Edit: On topic, I love AA in my games. I agree that AA is a feature almost all games have, and every game should have. I'll try StarCraft 2 at a friends or something. I don't think I can justify paying $240 to ActiBlizzard for a game with no LAN play and no AA, as well as ActiBlizzard owning any maps I could make with the map editor. Additionally, the rumors of Battle.net having pay-to-play features in the future is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    It's just MW2 all over again, region locked muiltiplayer, game split into parts, no lan and no AA. As long as it's not totally unplayable Activision's marketing will make it sell regardless of the questionable things they did.
    It's so sad, but it's true.

When you have a man like Robert Kotick, you know he'll disregard fun and playability in favor of sales every single time. It's just so sad that with enough marketing, he can sell garbage (not saying SC2 is necessarily garbage) and turn a profit.

It's not consoles killing the PC gaming, it's not DRM killing the gaming industry, it's Bobby Kotick and his repackaged garbage and "culture of fear" killing innovation, and therefore killing gaming as a whole.
    Last edited by ExodusC; 07-27-2010 at 02:56 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    exactly .. i dont see why the fuss is about it .... starcraft II was made only because starcraft I had a huge following .... and wow does too .... blizzard is in a business of pleasing its bank account ... not nerds ....
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Addict
    SC2 is a big let down imho. Feels like i was playing SC1
    ~

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast