Thread: Crytek's Future Game Graphics (Larrabee 2, voxels, server rendering, CGI quality)

Xtreme Enthusiast

Lightbulb Crytek's Future Game Graphics (Larrabee 2, voxels, server rendering, CGI quality)

About a month late, but considering it doesn't seem to have been covered elsewhere, I thought this was interesting.

http://www.highperformancegraphics.org/program.html#4

http://www.crytek.com/fileadmin/user...otes/Notes.ppt

Sparse Voxel Octree Usage in CryEngine 3

Mid-erm 2013+ creative opportunities (remember http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAqsjGv2Cg)
    The renaissance of graphics will arrive
    Allows new visual development directions that will rival full CGI feature films qualty

Server-side rendering

What’s the next generation of consoles?
    Larrabee 2 and Fermi ARE in-order

Xtreme 3D Team
    Intel in this video made me sad

Larabee is not the next cool thing of graphics performance
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why sad?

http://raytracey.blogspot.com/2009/0...h-6-stuff.html

This voxel octree stuff, id had a video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEpAFGplnI November 2008 and here we are July 2010 and Crytek is talking about it too..

Xtreme Mentor
    and then right after that video Larrabee was canceled
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Mentor
    this is totally BS. Just marketing nothing more. How many months passed after we seen ATIs ray tracing videos ????

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Crysis shipped Nov 2007, works on PCs of 2004 till today and for future...
    ehhhhh... mhhh... not... really... :P

How to design for the future?

Facts
    Fixed Resolution for Gaming till 2012
    HD 1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps
    Stereoscopic 3D experience: 30 fps per eye
    Limited by current consoles hardware
    Risk of „Uncanny Valley“ for content
    Perception-driven approaches!
    Till 2012 majority of games must use artistic style, physics and AI to differentiate!
    What‘s the current artistic style? Desaturate colors?
    NooOOooOooOooOO :,(

for the next 3 Years: Huge gains are possible in Physics, AI and Simulation of Special Effects
    bah cr4p... maybe i should sell my gaming pc... :/
    Real-time graphics is perception-driven
    Human‘s eye has some specialities
    ~350 Mpixel spatial resolution
    Quite hard to trick it in this area
    ~24 Hz temporal resolution
    Very low, a room for techniques
    We don‘t notice the flickering @ > 40Hz
    We don‘t create an image for another machine, our target customer is a human
    first it was supposed to be at 24, then 30, now its 40...

just cause our brain CAN take a flickering set of frames and turn it into a moving scene, doesnt mean we cant perceive that its flickering... we do... oh yes we do... whether we notice it is something different, but thats not the same for each of us.
    i worked with a 200hz capable crt monitor for over a year a while back, and after that going back to lower hz displays caused me headaches and eye irritation, big time... i couldnt tell the difference between 200 and 120hz, and 100hz was almost the same as 120hz, so thats the sweet spot... at least for me personally...

even on the latest and greatest gaming lcds i can notice that things arent the way they should be and it just doesnt look as crisp and sharp as it should be when moving around quickly... guess thats why many gamers still use crts...

anyhow, that presentation made me pretty depressed...
    crytek is, or is widely believe to be, the most demanding and tech pushing game studio... if even THEY say there wont be any major changes in the next 3 years, and it will all be about physix and some special effects like explosions and whatnot, then wow... thats so sad...

and all this talk about business... i cant believe it...
    its all about cost down and profit maximization even in graphics these days isnt it? server rendering, adaptive details depending on the center of attention on the display... i have a strong feeling that itll end up hurting gameplay big time as they will adjust it to be "barely good enough" to maximize their profits

and the few things ive seen of crysis2 are not really exciting...
    just look at the last image of that presentation, notice the street marker in whiten orange stripes? it looks terrible, so low geometric detail... and the aliasing in the background... i hope itll be better than crysis1!

but what i really want... what i REALLY want from crytek is farcry2! and i dont mean this ubisoft militia safari bs, but a REAL far cry2!
    Last edited by saaya; 07-24-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Unfortunately I think you are correct about profit margins in the graphics industry Saaya. Obviously greed plays a big factor in this, but I also think that as games become more graphic intense they require a larger group of people to engineer each new game title, which in turn requires a larger investment. In many ways it mirrors the movie industry, at least in my mind.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    ehhhhh... mhhh... not... really... :P

NooOOooOooOooOO :,(

bah cr4p... maybe i should sell my gaming pc... :/

first it was supposed to be at 24, then 30, now its 40...

just cause our brain CAN take a flickering set of frames and turn it into a moving scene, doesnt mean we cant perceive that its flickering... we do... oh yes we do... whether we notice it is something different, but thats not the same for each of us.
    i worked with a 200hz capable crt monitor for over a year a while back, and after that going back to lower hz displays caused me headaches and eye irritation, big time... i couldnt tell the difference between 200 and 120hz, and 100hz was almost the same as 120hz, so thats the sweet spot... at least for me personally...

even on the latest and greatest gaming lcds i can notice that things arent the way they should be and it just doesnt look as crisp and sharp as it should be when moving around quickly... guess thats why many gamers still use crts...

anyhow, that presentation made me pretty depressed...
    crytek is, or is widely believe to be, the most demanding and tech pushing game studio... if even THEY say there wont be any major changes in the next 3 years, and it will all be about physix and some special effects like explosions and whatnot, then wow... thats so sad...

and all this talk about business... i cant believe it...
    its all about cost down and profit maximization even in graphics these days isnt it? server rendering, adaptive details depending on the center of attention on the display... i have a strong feeling that itll end up hurting gameplay big time as they will adjust it to be "barely good enough" to maximize their profits

and the few things ive seen of crysis2 are not really exciting...
    just look at the last image of that presentation, notice the street marker in whiten orange stripes? it looks terrible, so low geometric detail... and the aliasing in the background... i hope itll be better than crysis1!

but what i really want... what i REALLY want from crytek is farcry2! and i dont mean this ubisoft militia safari bs, but a REAL far cry2!

+1. I used to run a CRT at 120hz...my school runs all of their CRT's at 60hz (you don not know how angry that makes me...) and anything lower than exactly 60fps on my LCD makes me angry.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    OT:
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    +1. I used to run a CRT at 120hz...my school runs all of their CRT's at 60hz (you don not know how angry that makes me...) and anything lower than exactly 60fps on my LCD makes me angry.
    I never understood that. I use to have to hack the account restrictions in my College so that I can change the Display Settings and Remove dozens of toolbars my fellow students installed. I don't get how there can be so many technological retards out there.

BOT:

Who cares. All the things they have been talking about has existed for years. Until the low-end system can run real time ray tracing don't bother talking. Just go back in the shed and make better hardware.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I think graphics is the only thing they been advancing in the past 10 years. AI and gameplay haven't moved much away from the tier one titles of 90s and even 80s.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i couldnt tell the difference between 200 and 120hz, and 100hz was almost the same as 120hz, so thats the sweet spot... at least for me personally...
    Yep, it's the exact same thing for me, up to 100Hz it's a big difference, between 100 and 120Hz very small and between say 160Hz and 120Hz for example no noticable difference to me.

The 120Hz LCDs are pretty comparable to 100Hz CRT motion IMO, it's not quite as smooth as 120Hz on CRT but about same as 100Hz on CRT IMO. Luckily 120Hz LCDs arrived so I could stop using a CRT before year 2010 at least. :p I still miss the perfect black levels and accurate colors compared to a TN panel tho.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 07-24-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Guru
    Its pretty much like 720p to 1080p, Hardly any difference if you ask me..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    ^^..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Yep, it's the exact same thing for me, up to 100Hz it's a big difference, between 100 and 120Hz very small and between say 160Hz and 120Hz for example no noticable difference to me.

The 120Hz LCDs are pretty comparable to 100Hz CRT motion IMO, it's not quite as smooth as 120Hz on CRT but about same as 100Hz on CRT IMO. Luckily 120Hz LCDs arrived so I could stop using a CRT before year 2010 at least. :p I still miss the perfect black levels and accurate colors compared to a TN panel tho.
    which 120hz display do you use? i'm still pretty unsatisfied with EVERY 120hz panel out there when it comes to everything else than 120hz . still sticking with my lg l227wt...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    well, i think that's debateable
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    well, i think that's debateable
    And that debate is easily ended with:
    720p and 1080p both look very good depending on screen size and the distance which the media is viewed from period =)
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    server rendering makes me a sad panda...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Truly sad but quite predictable. The game industry created by enthusiasts is now run by the board of directors, whom of course kowtow to the desires of majority shareholders who... don't play games.

Even though there are talented artists programmers and game designers with ambitious dreams who'd like to bring us something special their hands are tied by the real decision makers. This is why I haven't upgraded from s939, why bother?
    OCZ, where life-time warranty means until we're out of stock!

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
    Truly sad but quite predictable. The game industry created by enthusiasts is now run by the board of directors, whom of course kowtow to the desires of majority shareholders who... don't play games.

Even though there are talented artists programmers and game designers with ambitious dreams who'd like to bring us something special their hands are tied by the real decision makers. This is why I haven't upgraded from s939, why bother?
    Because your OS will boot three times as fast and even internet surfing becomes faster?

Vista runs 20x better on my 965BE than it does on my 5600+.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Because your OS will boot three times as fast and even internet surfing becomes faster?

Vista runs 20x better on my 965BE than it does on my 5600+.
    For that we use non-Windows OS and faster browser than IE/Firefox.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post

i upgraded from 939 to AM3 a couple of months back, i've only banged 10/10 supermodels since.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white