Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thuban delidded

Brilliant Idiot

Thuban delidded

So I was fooling around in this giga contest with what apparently was a problematic board.

Usually I would just stop when a board starts acting up but for the sake of competition I plodded on through all the issues the board had although i did break down 10 times and dry it out just to get 2 results in wprime..........eventually as I expected the board died, unfortunately it took the cpu with it it seems.

Bad for me but hey even dead cpu's have a purpose right? Lets see if thuban can safely be delidded.

Included deneb for comparison. As we can see the die is larger and it appears they are now using some type of glue around surrounding chips and running them so close to the IHS glue point that cutting through it without nicking one is near impossible.

I think it's safe to say for users that do delid chips that they skip delidding thuban and just lap it really really thin.
    Last edited by chew*; 07-23-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Very cool photos, chew. I loves me some nekked Si. I'm surprised to see the die area isn't really all too much larger. It really shows off just how tiny AMD's K10 cores really are.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    cool pics, thanks chew
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thuban without IHS looks a little bit ugly :P
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

I am Xtreme
    it looks like its a little wider and a little tall, can you get out the ruler please?

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    it looks like its a little wider and a little tall, can you get out the ruler please?
    Thuban

Deneb

heatware chew*

Xtreme Mentor
    why is it so SHINNY @_@ ?

the deneb looks dull. lol
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    why is it so SHINNY @_@ ?

the deneb looks dull. lol
    Becasue i cleaned it with a fresh razor really really good.

The TWKR "deneb" in the lowest picture if you look close has a cracked core....I didn't clean deneb, instead i sanded it as i had a feeling i cracked core( harder to find crack when shiny so i used rough sandpaper ), found the crack and I knew why
    heatware chew*

Sooo.... Shi...ny.....

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

only about 2mm in lengt diference? Nice photos too.
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Becasue i cleaned it with a fresh razor really really good.

The TWKR "deneb" in the lowest picture if you look close has a cracked core....I didn't clean deneb, instead i sanded it as i had a feeling i cracked core( harder to find crack when shiny so i used rough sandpaper ), found the crack and I knew why
    nice job.

I was expecting it to be just a bit longer, not wider too.

since also it's wider, it must help dissipate heat better with more surface area.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaa....I like this. Still alive?

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Royalk View Post
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaa....I like this. Still alive?
    He said because of the glue on the little components around the core you cant cut through safely...I think the glue sticks to the IHS and pulls the component out.?
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    He said because of the glue on the little components around the core you cant cut through safely...I think the glue sticks to the IHS and pulls the component out.?
    No the components are so close to the rubber they use to hold IHS on that to cut through it all the way you will almost always guranteed knick one of those SMD's.

Knicking one would be very very bad on a working cpu.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    Can you measure the diameter of the rubber? ...would it be possible to cut slightly less than that diameter then rip the IHS off?
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    Can you measure the diameter of the rubber? ...would it be possible to cut slightly less than that diameter then rip the IHS off?
    Well the problem lies in the fact that the IHS is soldered to core. Any attempt to "pop" it while still soldered will crack core.

In order to get it to "pop" the rubber needs to be cut all the way through other wise solder melts and then just rebonds.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    Well the problem lies in the fact that the IHS is soldered to core. Any attempt to "pop" it while still soldered will crack core.

In order to get it to "pop" the rubber needs to be cut all the way through other wise solder melts and then just rebonds.
    Ahh, I see...that makes more sense.

Why do they make them so hard to get off?
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    Ahh, I see...that makes more sense.

Why do they make them so hard to get off?
    cores are fragile and easily cracked?
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    cores are fragile and easily cracked?
    I mean, why do they solder the IHS to the core...If somebody is going to cut the rubber to pull off the IHS then what's the point of the solder? They end up killing their CPU.
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    I mean, why do they solder the IHS to the core...If somebody is going to cut the rubber to pull off the IHS then what's the point of the solder? They end up killing their CPU.
    Paste dries out over time? solder doesn't and provides a better thermal interface.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team
    Paste dries out over time? solder doesn't and provides a better thermal interface.
    I'm full of curiosity tonight... (sorry I'm asking 20 questions...)
    Does paste still dry out if the chip is sealed? (Phase change material even?)

I agree about the solder providing a better thermal inferface.
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    I'm full of curiosity tonight... (sorry I'm asking 20 questions...)
    Does paste still dry out if the chip is sealed? (Phase change material even?)

I agree about the solder providing a better thermal inferface.
    yep it dries, i pulled lid off an old athlon 939 chip recently, it gets preety powdery.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks for the pics chew*...

Looks like their pretty close to the limit of cores that will fit on an AM3 package with K10.
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme 3D Team
    I could maybe see eight squeezed in there. The die could definately get a little wider...Or maybe a small boost in L2 or L3. ? maybe I speak nonsense because there is no spoon. Who knows?
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    yep thanks for the pics and info, the Thuban will be missed lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast