Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guide a beginner to setup a silent Water Cooling system

Xtreme Addict
    Personally, with those components, I honestly don't see the sense in spending the money on a watercooling setup to begin with. Even my daughter's computer has an E6400 which is soon going to be an E8400 when I get my latest project finished. I think your money would be far better spent on more hardware and a good air setup. Air can be very quiet, and with those components, you could probably be as quiet or quieter on air than water. It just doesn't make sense to spend $250 on a watercooling setup to overclock, when you could spend that money and get more current hardware that would give you 4x the performance of your setup overclocked.

That being said, the way you get a quiet watercooling setup is to use a quiet pump, and lots of rad surface with slow spinning fans. About the quietest you are going to get in pumps is an Aquastream XT, which are not easy to come by stateside and are higher priced, or an undervolted MCP350. The MCP350 can be put on a rheostat to do so. And as was mentioned, you need to completely isolate the pump from the case. Petrastechshop sells a gel pad that is fantastic for this and only about 1/4" thick.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by voigts View Post
    Personally, with those components, I honestly don't see the sense in spending the money on a watercooling setup to begin with. Even my daughter's computer has an E6400 which is soon going to be an E8400 when I get my latest project finished. I think your money would be far better spent on more hardware and a good air setup. Air can be very quiet, and with those components, you could probably be as quiet or quieter on air than water. It just doesn't make sense to spend $250 on a watercooling setup to overclock, when you could spend that money and get more current hardware that would give you 4x the performance of your setup overclocked.
    +1

My backup computer is a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz with a 8800GTS 640. The fastest fan is at 700rpm. The GPU is passively cooled from the intake fan. Temperatures are well within safe limits, even at full CPU/GPU burn, and this is a much higher heat output than what your rig will put out. Not saying you shouldn't put everything on water anyway , but it's not going to get you any extra silence over a decent air setup.

Pump-wise, my vote goes for either the MCP655 on setting 1, or the DB-1 pump. I've found both to be noticeably quieter than the MCP350.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

I think you're right. I think exactly as you after having been aware of the total price of such a system (about 350€ at least ~380$). The most important is to understand it: cost/benefits/needs.
    I'm upgrading to E5500, and I will mostly use the computer to encode & play videos, a bit for gaming (though it doesn't amuse me as much as it used to). I know I can achieve very good temperatures with water cooling, but I think I won't upgrade now (at least, not until my bank account gets greener). However I know that when I do it, it will be for a fair amount of years, or so I hope.

That being said, the way you get a quiet watercooling setup is to use a quiet pump, and lots of rad surface with slow spinning fans. About the quietest you are going to get in pumps is an Aquastream XT, which are not easy to come by stateside and are higher priced, or an undervolted MCP350. The MCP350 can be put on a rheostat to do so. And as was mentioned, you need to completely isolate the pump from the case. Petrastechshop sells a gel pad that is fantastic for this and only about 1/4" thick.
    I'll remember about the Aquastream XT!

Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    My backup computer is a Q6600 @ 3.2GHz with a 8800GTS 640. The fastest fan is at 700rpm. The GPU is passively cooled from the intake fan. Temperatures are well within safe limits, even at full CPU/GPU burn, and this is a much higher heat output than what your rig will put out. Not saying you shouldn't put everything on water anyway , but it's not going to get you any extra silence over a decent air setup.
    Well I didn't say I wanted something more silent than what you can get with air cooling ! It's always a compromise between performance/noise/price.

Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    Pump-wise, my vote goes for either the MCP655 on setting 1, or the DB-1 pump. I've found both to be noticeably quieter than the MCP350.
    The only drawback about the MCP655 over the 350 is its size, though I'll keep that model in mind. I didn't hear much about the DB-1...

Thanks, you all (everybody) !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12