Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S - Vibrant (tmobile)

Thumbs up Galaxy S - Vibrant (tmobile)

http://galaxy-s.t-mobile.com/Samsung...d-galaxy-phone

After owning the iPhone and the Nokia 5800 it didnt take me long to figure out how much better the Galaxy S is. If you have not seen the feature list please click the above link to check it out.

Reception is great in the worst area of Las Vegas, where I live is a known dead zone for all carriers. I was on tmobile before with both iphone and the Nokia, both suffered from very poor to no reception here at times.

I cannot compare the touch screen (personal use) to the iPhone 4 but this one beats the 3Gs and Nokia by far. I have not gotten used to the swipe texting yet.

Speed wise I was sold, watching the Galaxy S and Iphone 4 on a wireless network where the Galaxy S was the clear winner.

AGPS is very accurate on Iphone 4 but was topped by the Galaxy S being closer by feet and showed what direction I was facing correctly.

The loss of iTunes was a huge relief, to use the appplication "Market" does not require a credit card to setup and has great functionality. lots of easy to find free stuff that makes having the phone more useful. Shopsavvy, google sky map, key ring, pandora, trapster, sound boards galore for the best ringtones, ezparking that can be used to find your way back to any location.

Showing off, the Galaxy S wins when you do a side by side compare with friends. the display is much bigger, responds better, and much brighter where Apple can claim higher resolution that is quite hard to tell the value watching youtube videos.

The Nokia 5800 kinda sucks with ovi maps, I regret picking it up on sale actually. The ovi maps are very slow and with real GPS installed not very accurate. The touch face is too small to use your finger for most things so a touch pen is provided. I never downloaded any apps in the few weeks I used it, I researched on just getting a ring tone I wanted and failed. Handling calls were a problem with the small face, impossible to scroll easy with lots of contacts, the browser was very slow.

Depending on where you buy:
    $499 unlocked
    $672 in $28 payments for 2 years.
    $200 With new contract
    $150 Wal Mart special

All come with a $50 rebate.
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 07-21-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    I love my Vibrant, so glad I looked it up at Wal-Mart's site as it saved me $50 over the price T-Mobile wanted for it direct from them... I'm sooooo happy with this phone its speed compared to iphone on wifi - its so much faster than the 3G I have

EDIT- I am getting used to the SWYPE interface, seems to learn quickly and is nice that it remembers custom words in the dictionary such as sreen names
    Last edited by TheGoat Eater; 07-21-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Good the hear you found a phone you liked in the end there Ryan.

Enjoy Android.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Good the hear you found a phone you liked in the end there Ryan.

Enjoy Android.
    Yeah I am so happy - just on the performance alone... I made the huge mistake of putting on iOS 4 on my 3G and it went to crap, so freaking laggy and just a dog now... tried falling back to 3 but that wouldn't work :S

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I could only find it for 719$

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoat Eater View Post
    Yeah I am so happy - just on the performance alone... I made the huge mistake of putting on iOS 4 on my 3G and it went to crap, so freaking laggy and just a dog now... tried falling back to 3 but that wouldn't work :S
    My only problem with it is that the Galaxy S over here is made from very light weight plastic. It feels cheap and is slightly slower than the HTC Desire.
    But it's massive internal storage kinda makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk View Post
    I could only find it for 719$
    Seems you have a really tough time getting phones mate. What do you have at the moment?

If it's not too bad maybe you can wait for the HTC Desire HD to come out, rumor has it it's due October.
    Think Evo 4G but better and featuring a lovely 4GB internal memory, 4.3inch screen, 8MP Camera all in a great unibod aluminium body. Hell it's even have xVid Playback along with other little features.

Xtreme Member
    I've been using the Galaxy S and I freaking love the phone. It's my first Android device and all I can say is I'm impressed. I've downloaded lots of free apps from the Market as well. I can't wait for Samsung to give us the Android 2.2 (Froyo) update.

The Desire is like a snail compared to the Galaxy S. The Hummingbird processor and Power VR 540 gpu puts it miles ahead of any snapdragon based device.

Xtreme Guru
    im in search of a new phone might give it a look mate, cheers!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoat Eater View Post
    Go to 4.0.1. IOS4.0 was so bad on my 3g I was missing phone calls and it was basically useless as a web browser. Even with all of the extras not installed.

4.0.1 put it back near 3.1 speed.

Xtreme Addict
    Glad you're enjoying your 1st Android experience

Not sure where you live but if you live near one of the cities listed here:

http://theunlockr.com/2010/07/21/t-m...ith-4g-speeds/

You'll be enjoying the fastest data speeds currently available T-Mobile may not be the biggest carrier but with their HSPA+ network has been making Sprint's 4G look pretty bad. When you consider that Sprint is charging $10 a month for 4G access if you own an EVO 4G regardless of whether you live in a 4G coverage area or not and now T-Mobile is offering the same speeds or better for free on and device that supports it (almost every 3G capable T-Mobile phone gets a free speed boost) makes Sprint look real bad.

I have a Nexus one on T-Mobile 3G and my download speeds are averaging over 3Mb I've seen as high as 4.5Mb if I'm in the city on 3G. My friend's 4G EVO is averaging only 2-3Mb and he's paying $10 more than I am.. :p
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Xtreme Addict
    How did I miss this? Been on Tmobile for 5 years (since I've had a phone) and was just now looking to jump ship to find a good Android (rootable) phone.

I'm literally going to take a shower and run to Wal-Mart right now

Thanks FUGGER, I'll share my response when/if they have any.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Addict
    i was on storm1 since it came out, then moved to storm2 when it came out.. im waiting on a droid X now, looking forward to it
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Xtreme Member
    i have a captivate and im loving it. The phone is absolutely fantastic

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Seems you have a really tough time getting phones mate. What do you have at the moment?

If it's not too bad maybe you can wait for the HTC Desire HD to come out, rumor has it it's due October.
    Think Evo 4G but better and featuring a lovely 4GB internal memory, 4.3inch screen, 8MP Camera all in a great unibod aluminium body. Hell it's even have xVid Playback along with other little features.
    i have a bold 9000 right now and its killing me
    today for example i cant press the letter A in my keyboard and i cant access my phone because my password have the letter A in it. there for i can see that i have 18 miss calls 8 sms 6 bbm 4 emails 2 msn conversions and 2 facebook replay on top but i cant do anything or replay to anyone and its driving me crazy

Xtreme Addict
    Jeez, I can see how that's bad. I love blackberries, but if the keys don't work it's useless.

Is there anyway you can get a cheap alternative in the meantime? Or if it comes down to it you could invest in what ever good HTC phone is in your area.

If your phone providers allowed you to trade in your bold 9000 maybe you could get a discount on a new temp phone.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    no flash on the camera? that is a no go for me

That reminds me.

The Nokia flash can googled as "blinding" it actually hurts.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Addict
    I know what you mean about the speed, Fugger.

My Nexus One with Android 2.2 blows the iPhone 4 out of the water when web browsing, even when loading flash content. I used to own an iPhone 3G, and I feel you on not having to use iTunes anymore (back to good old Foobar2000).

Still loving my Nexus One. I think the only thing I miss is the iPhone's keyboard, but I have yet to try Swype, so we'll see.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i was disappointed when i first got the galaxy s it was slow and lagging, but after i rooted it and updated to WJM2 FW OS 2.1 its now as fast as the N1 with FroYo !!!

Xtreme Addict
    Turns out I can't get one till August 1st or so. Will be free of my last "2 year contract" extension at that time
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Turkey Man
    Just bought a Galaxy S in Jakarta, Rp 6,400,000 fully unlocked (~USD$710).
    Will report back my opinions

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro_ View Post
    i was disappointed when i first got the galaxy s it was slow and lagging, but after i rooted it and updated to WJM2 FW OS 2.1 its now as fast as the N1 with FroYo !!!
    Werd, with the JM2 firmware the phone is flying.

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Depending on where you buy:
    $499 unlocked
    $672 in $28 payments for 2 years.
    $200 With new contract
    $150 Wal Mart special
    Elaborate, please. This is with or without a contract?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Deluded View Post
    Elaborate, please. This is with or without a contract?
    With 2 year contract (new contract)

I ran there quick thinking it wasn't

$150 with new contract
    $200 with contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    With 2 year contract (new contract)

I ran there quick thinking it wasn't

$150 with new contract
    $200 with contract extension
    Damnit! Looks like I'm back to the old standby, pining for $150 touch screen phones, namely Nokia 5800. Boo to contract!

Thanks for answering my questions.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast