Thread: HX850 behaving erratically

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!

HX850 behaving erratically

Hm. Well, I've got this HX850. And it works (for the most part), but sometimes it will shut off for indiscernible reasons, and it's very difficult to coax it into turning back on.

My pet theory is that it has a malfunctioning protection circuit that shuts it off, when there's no real need to do it. I doubt I was ever drawing too much power anyway, as I only have one CPU + one GPU...

Also, it happens with only the fan controller attached. Which draws all of... idk, 10-15W with fans attached?

I think we can all agree that it's very strange.

Corsair RMA certainly agrees with me, as they granted me an RMA# already. The thing is though, it still works for the most part, and I use the machine it's powering for my business, so a lengthy downtime while I'm sending it off to get replaced would actually cost me more money than simply tossing it and buying a whole new power supply.

Does Corsair offer advance exchange?
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Corsair Rep
    Please speak to CUSTOMER SERVICE and they can tell you what options you have for advanced replacement. We're sorry you had the issue with your 850.
    Yes, Yellowbeard, a tall rough man with a big yellow beard

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    welp; it finally died!

it actually stopped behaving strangely shortly after i posted this thread and i gave up on the RMA. guess it's RMA time again maybe they'll even give me an AX?
    Last edited by iddqd; 12-30-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    Sigs are obnoxious.