Thread: MSI R5870 Lightning voltage problem

MSI R5870 Lightning voltage problem

Hello everyone
    At first excuse me for my bad english as I don't speak this language fluently.

So I have this kind of problem. As I try to change voltage of the cards GPU using Afterburner (ver 1.5.0, 1.5.1, 1.6.1) there is no change at all. Both voltage control and monitoring options enabled. In 2D card maintains 0.973V (Afterburner shows 0.949V), when I enter 3D mode (Kombustor, Heaven 2.0, 2.1 benchmark)- the GPU maintains 1.175V although Afterburner shows my desired voltage. Also in 3D when multimeter shows stable 1.175V, in AB spikes appears like 0.600V or 0.949V. And more interesting when I check option "force const voltage" the graphics driver hangs (red or blue pattern all over the screen) and OS hangs also. I've used 10.6 and 10.4 Xtreme-G drivers so far. I also tried flashing BIOS. So i tried this solution
    http://hwbot.org/forum/showpost.php?...4&postcount=10

and this one also
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/7...24.100305.html
    with no luck at all.
    Guys please help...

My system:
    Motherboard: Asus Rampage Formula (Mr. Solors mod bios 0001);
    CPU: Intel Q9450;
    RAM: G.Skill 2x2 DDR2-1200 CL5;
    PSU: Enermax Infinity 720W;
    second GPU GeForce 8800GTS G92. I tried settings w/ and without Geforce.
    All settings using system on stock, no OC.
    Last edited by MaynardX; 07-20-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Xtreme Member
    You need to do the bios update... Look on hwbot.

Thanks Steponz but I did it already, even twice. Also tried and flashed with bios posted in second link address.

PI in the face
    did you try using afterburner Xtreme? I think it was 1.5.1x that worked great with mine. (make sure its xtreme version)
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Hello Splave. Well I must admit I haven't knew about this version of Afterburner. I can't find it anywhere though. Could you help me?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Hint hint... download section... under extreme overclocking... my place
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

No way BenchZoner, I can't find it:/ Please have mercy I'm voltage-starved

You mean YOUR place? I got it Sorry too much work lately. I found it and will give it a try.

Unfortunately no luck. Tried version of yours BenchZowner. Unistalled old AB (version 1.6.1), even rebooted and cleared registry before installing 1.6.0x. The same strange behavior, readings and hanging with "force const. voltage":/ Am I doing something wrong here? Damn I'm quite frustrated. What else can be done? (except RMA)

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Try the 1.51x version, the 1.6.x wasn't working properly with the 5870's.
    If 1.51x fails too, then I guess you'll have to RMA the card, or do a physical ( hardware ) mod ( but that's going to void your warranty )

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

No luck at all either with 1.5.1x Maybe last thing. What kind of bios and catalyst did you use while successfully overclocking this card ?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Catalysts older than 10.4 should work absolutely fine.
    BIOS ? The latest one provided by Garrett Wu @ guru3d.com forum

Thanks BenchZowner you're beeing very helpful. I'll try cat 10.3 after flashing the bios. Could you point me which one of these should I use, as I can't establish which is Garret Wu's? I'll do it tomorrow and will post my result now I don't have time left.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/i...mSize=0&page=1
    I really would like to avoid RMA cause adding this card to my LC loop was really pain in the arse:/
    Last edited by MaynardX; 07-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.

I'm done. I tried every BIOS version dedicated to 5870 Lightning, with 10.3 drivers (just in case to be sure the drivers work correctly) and AB 1.5.1x (thanks again BenchZowner) but absolutely with no luck at all. RMAing the board. Really disappointing product from MSI. Thanks guys for help. Best regards.

Xtreme Member
    I just picked up a lightning II and I can throw the bios up if you want it?

I pulled this out of it on everyday normal well above ambient water cooling

Hello NCspecV81

Yes of course it would be great. Please uploaded your BIOS version. By the way what is the new Lightning II about?

Thank you very much. I'll try it this evening. Best regards.

Unfortunately new bios didn't help. Not possible to change my cards voltage. I also tried ones again other AB versions and ATI drivers. There is only one difference compared to other bios versions. AB reads correctly stock 3D voltage which is 1.175V. And that's all. So right now I'm quite sure I just bought me a faulty sample.

PI in the face
    i had to rma 2 cards before I got one that accepted voltage changes.Rma tme
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Member
    are you unlocking voltage control in AB?

Oh man, two times Splave? My bad I watercooled my card before checking if it works correctly. Yes NCspecV81, everything concerning voltage unlocked in AB. So I've already contacted my local distributor and will receive solution to this problem this afternoon.

Well Okey...

But please don't laugh at me right?

So I decided to check my card in other PC before I RMA it. And I found that the problem wasn't my card alone but the sound... driver:/ It was modified X-Fi driver so I unistalled it and installed web version only. Now card works perfectly, well at least voltage control does.

I'd like to ask you for other advice. I can raise GPU clock to 1070MHz with 1.33-1.340V. I know that the warranty is available up to 1.350V. But I see that GPU/Shader temp (in HWInfo32 and AB) is no more then 39/42 stress and 48Celsius for DRAM. I guess that there is plenty of room for GPU OC but is it worth it? Wont I damage the GPU with more voltage?

Guys I know it might look silly asking this but please share your thoughts. I'm newbie in voltage modding card as this is my first one of this type.