Hey everybody.. Just upgraded my setup from raid 0 / 3 Intel 40gb ssds to these two vertex 2 60gb. At $130 dollars a piece couldnt pass it up. And they are so far smoking the intels.

I will be adding some more benchs so far but wanted to show something that might be interesting to some here. I did 5 quick benchs of ATTO with different settings under windows with some interesting results that I know many have been asking about and talking about for sometime in different forums.. Maybe this will give some more light on the situation.

Raid 0 stripe is at 16k on an ICH10R just like the 3 Intel SSDs. With testing that was the strongest setup I found. Gullars had recommended this also. Was also confirmed stronger on the Vertex 2's. Link below...

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...10R-benchmarks

Ok on to some benchs you all should find interesting if you have SSD's.

Atto test 1 = Enable write caching on the device not checked (disabled)

Atto test 2 = Enable write caching on the device checked (enabled)

Atto test 3 = Enable write caching on the device checked (enabled) / Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device checked (enabled)

Atto test 4 = Enable write caching on the device not checked (disabled) / All cpu powersaving modes and states in bios disabled

Atto test 5 = Enable write caching on the device checked (enabled) / Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device checked (enabled) / All cpu powersaving modes and states in bios disabled

Ok first thing first...

Atto 1 settings seemed good if you write alot of larger files and you dont want to disable your powersaving states in bios. In the big blocks Atto 1 seemed to have some of the best write results.

Atto 2 settings reflect a doubling of performance in the small blocks due to your system memory being used as a buffer. This is great for smaller writes but is effected negatively as you go to larger size blocks. By using your memory as a buffer you add a variable that can effect your drive performance positively and negatively depending on settings from your bios for your system power states.

Atto 3 is same as Atto 2 but by turning off the flushing helps to push the performance up a little more on the smaller blocks but leaves you with the same problem as Atto 2. Limited write ceiling.

Atto 4 is a unique one to described. It seems to be what ATTO 1 is but with out the powersaving bios restrictions. With no power states enabled it has the highest and the most over 540MB reads. It starts low with the writes but once it reaches block 16 it is equal or faster than the others. And by the time it reaches block 64 it is the fastest writer after that and doesnt look back. It is actually almost reaching the limits of what 2 vertex in raid 0 theoretically can be. 285read/275write is 570read/550write.

Atto 5 seems most balanced from these tests. It doesnt top out as high as ATTO 4 but the average of the writes and reads seem be higher. CPU, memory, and generally the system as a whole is running full speed with no regards to clocking down.

The summary here is that Atto 4 and 5 settings are what you should be looking at having or using. Powersaving settings in the bios seem to be the biggest impact. Writing large files and reading or streaming large files seem to lead more to the Atto 4 pattern. Atto 5 seems like it would be best for general usage and OS usage, while you lose a little top end write speed. The other Atto 1,2,3 should really not be used, unless you want to use your powersaving features in the bios then i would go with Atto 3.

I will be putting up some more benchmarks soon.. was just getting started and trying to shed some light on these settings and how they seem ot effect performance since there didnt seem to be any clear answers.